Anyone Integrated a Mr. Cool Ductless w/ WiFi?

I was hoping via their api. Might have to go the esp route.

I’m getting mixed things about that…
osk102 seems to work occasionally, osk103 works almost…never…
need fake cloud and stuff like that…
Then some updates from cloud breaks it again…

So I would recommend the esp way…cheap, reliable and relative easy, especially now pull-request request for midea-protocol from Sergiy is merged into esphome repository :wink:

I have a Mr Cool unit as well (installed several weeks ago). Tried homebridge-smartcielo and it never worked for me.

I cannot control it properly from homebridge, let alone home assistant. None of the controls work (temperature or power on).

The combination of homeassistant and esphome module works…

Hey guys! I’ve been waiting for a solution on this one for a while now- reading through, it sounds like you’ve finally cracked it! My background here is very limited, but I’m a snappy learner! Would you mind breaking down the ESP method so that I can finally get my Mr Cools in HA?

Super grateful for your time!

2 Likes

Check out the thread from AceIndy:

1 Like

Wow just came across this thread, This seems promising that this Integreation of Cielo Smart AC controller will work. Thank you for creating this.

Do you know if this can say work with some temp sensor.

I have a server rack and ac in the room. Or Pioneer Mini Split AC with Cielo smart AC app on the phone.

I am wondering say if I put some temp sensor in the rack and rack say reaches 95F then AC should come on when it reaches say 70 Degree or what ever temp AC turns off…

Anyway regardless thank you so much for creating this.

Yes the Cielo will work, I was using it however it was limited sooooooooooo I went this route…

Sensibo Integration

Sensibo

First in my Configuration yaml:

#Air Conditioner
  - platform: sensibo
    api_key: !secret ac_key

Then in my lovelace.yaml

- type: custom:simple-thermostat
          entity: climate.john_s_device
          name: false
          decimals: 0
          step_size: 1
          sensors:
            - entity: sensor.thermostat_relative_humidity_measurement
              name: House Humidity
            - entity: sensor.dark_sky_humidity
              name: Outside Humidity

Then VIOLA! I have this and it works perfectly:

ac

This totally integrates in HA… NOW I have all the functions of my AC :slight_smile:

_________________________ EDIT _________________________________

I did find out that it literally renders Mr.Cool remote useless. It doesn’t function anymore… I have to the Sensibo to change settings… I don’t mind at all but just letting people know.

1 Like

Hi Guys,

Any updates on the Mr. Cool integration?
I guess a lot of people are looking forward to this as their units are really popular lately.

Thanks!
Didi

1 Like

I am implementing MRCOOL/Cielo integration as we speak!

2 Likes

I literally just ordered the hardware to do the ESPhome approach. Any idea of an ETA on your integration?

Yes that does work BUT if you really want a great solution this is it:

This gives you all the controls of the AC… I used the Cielo but didn’t have all the functions this one does :slight_smile:

Thanks for the information. Just order two for my mini splits. Got a good Cyber Monday deal ($158 for 2) on Sensibo website. Can’t wait to try them out.

1 Like

Great deal!!! I know you’ll love the integration much better!

So much thanks to everyone here. For my purposes this is SOLVED.

MY STEPS TO SUCCESS:

1. Purchased 1 Sensibo Air
  2. Waited for it to arrive…twiddled my thumbs
  3. Set it up using the Sensibo Mobile App, the process was easy and well designed. Took 5 mins not including a firmware update that happened.
  4. Followed HA Help Docs to acquire the API key.
  5. Followed @cowboysdude instructions (fix the indents after pasting into HA file editor)
  6. Restart HA.
  7. Success. The widget fully controls my Mr. Cool DIY unit! Updates within 1 second.

Screen Shot 2021-12-15 at 1.44.08 PM

I havent gotten as far as building it into automations and scripts, but wanted to report my success (and delight). Thanks to all who got us this far!

1 Like

Sure the sensibo air seems to be one way to do it but there’s absolutely a 0% chance I’m spending $365 for wifi IR blasters which is what would be required for my 4 head setup.

It sucks that they locked these down so hard because the included wifi adapters are great. I’m looking into the esp option though as that seems to be the only feasible choice at this time. I’ll see if I can make a guide specific to these units if I get it done. In the mean time, complain to Mr Cool that they don’t allow local access to their systems. It’s likely just screaming into the void, but the squeaky wheel gets the grease and they may not be aware many people are wanting this. I have the DIY series and you would think since it’s already marketed towards DIY types they might be open to the DIY side of software too.

I would not call this SOLVED, more like a work around. I’m with timlukacik, an IR blaster will not work for me. My unit is in a cabin in the woods, it keeps my pipes from freezing, I need the feedback loop for peace of mind that the unit is in the state that I expect it to be in.

A direct integration with MrCool software would be ideal. If no integration becomes available, I will also be trying the ESPHome approach.

I KNOW you can use the Cielo stuff that works but doesn’t give you everything so yes Sensibo solved it for me too :slight_smile:

I Iike the idea of using ESPHome to control my MRCOOL units.

But is there actually a need to buy/build new dongles?

Couldn’t a guy just pop the case and reflash the 8266 inside the MRCOOL dongle?

2 Likes

I am ready to try this very soon too. ESPhome flashing the existing dongle (or a custom one soldered up very simply) seems like the logical way to go now that we know the USB is just a serial protocol and hopefully exactly the same as Midea protocol.

Actually now that I think about it, it will be easier to just solder a USB connector (cut off cord) into any ESP development board (D1 mini, wemos lite etc) serial pins vs opening up the dongle so I’ll probably try that first, assuming it’s 3.3v serial logic etc.

1 Like