Aqara fp1 stuck on detected occupancy?

I have two aqara fp1 that get stuck on “detected” occupancy once someone walks into one of those rooms. I’m running 2022.7.0 with a HUSBZB-1 using docker on my synology. Any ideas for how to fix this?

1 Like

Uhmm, isn’t that the idea…!?

Or do you mean, they walk in, and then walk out?

At which point the questions would be. What other movement sources are in the room? And how long did you wait?

Or if you suspect the sensors themselves. Place them on the floor, point them straight down. They should turn off.

Yes, this is after i leave the room. There is no movement in the room, and i tried putting it in different positions without any luck

And those different positions include, “on the floor face down”?

Doing that does clear the room

Alas that is the only way to get the room to be marked as empty. Any ideas?

Ok, sounds like it works.

Aqara Presence Detector FP1 RTCZCGQ11LM Zigbee compatibility shows

Supports:
approach distance
monitoring mode
motion sensitivity
power outage count
presence event
reset nopresence status
presence

Try mode or sensitivity options

Thanks. I tried many combinations including this one with no luck

1 Like

Sounds like you may need to experiment with placement that rules out unexpected sources of movement including windows, doors, fans, vents, thin walls etc…

…the key here is unexpected sources

So…Does the solution suggested by crlogic really helped? I have the same issue with FP1 placed in bathroom. It’s faced in opposing direction from the door, being on the eye level. But there’s a laundry hanging to the left, right before vent, so it is possible there’s a really small movement there. But then again, shouldn’t FP1 being able to distinguish person?

Haven’t seen them advertise this ability. What makes you think that it should? Seems to be a common misconception. Perhaps the FP2 will…

I don’t remember actually. I think I may hear it in ‘Game changer’ video but it could be said as a suggestion for the delay in both detecting and clearing…or maybe that was the video with comparison of FP1 and DIY? I remember there was conclusion where DIY had some false activations when FP1 didn’t.

But then again, if it doesn’t do this, then why it needs so much time to set itself to detected? The only thing that comes to my mind are situations when someone would walk through but didn’t actually stay in the room. That would mean it don’t occupy this place…so the solution here would be to have two entities: one for occupancy (currently present) and one for detecting motion. In a way that second one would fire right when there’s a movement and right after it’s gone.

Very good question

I don’t have an FP1… …thought I saw on Reddit someone saying that the FP1 has two sensors reported just like you suggested. It doesn’t?

Nothing through ZHA at least. Z2M says that there should be additional sensor for approach event. But it’s not there…or I can’t find it at least because logbook shows this event firing (few examples):

MotionSensor05 Leave Left - Sensor event was fired
13:31:39 - 17 minutes ago
MotionSensor05 Approach - Sensor event was fired
13:31:22 - 17 minutes ago
MotionSensor05 Away - Sensor event was fired
13:31:19 - 17 minutes ago
MotionSensor05 Enter Right - Sensor event was fired
13:29:56 - 20 minutes ago

But to be clear - having this wouldn’t help here because Leave won’t fire the same way detected doesn’t change.

Small update about getting detected/clear states and about events:
I just read the manual through the Translator app (it’s Chinese of course). And Aqara states that sensor needs about 6s to detect presence (whether person stays or not) and it determines within 30s to be sure that person is no longer there. Positioning of the device is important. They even tell differences between wall mounting and celling/stand mounting. There are also some tips regarding detecting user when sleeping.
As for the events (enter, approach, away, leave), they theoretically should fire faster then occupancy changes:

• enter should be PIR-like, which means as soon as sensors sees something,
  • approach/away is self-explanatory with additional info that the distance settins relates to 1m, 2m and 3m distance of detection,
  • leave still requires up to 30s to know if someone truly leaved detection area, which means it’s still useless for fast detection. It also fails to fire sometimes, not sure why though - the guess here is detection distance setting.

I couldn’t find exact info of how motion sensitivity works.

One thing that is really missing from ZHA implementation (and Z2M as well) is a way to build the map of the room for sensor to know some basic elements that are inside to help identify everything faster and more accurate. The example shows bathroom floor with toilet bowl icon in place. Manual states that there are more icons that can be set. I think the whole map building is related to the missing regions implementation, where you can define squares of detection.

1 Like

My wife had a Kleenex on her night stand that was fluttering in the breeze created by the ac and it was triggering the sensor. They are very sensitive.

The FP1 does need to be paired with a motion sensor for most uses. I find the device works great. Restricting its view with metal allowed me to exclude potential problems. Since a motion detector is needed anyway, the FP1 only needs to see the places where movement stops (couch, desk chair, bed).

I find it responds from the change of away to home surprisingly quickly.

I use Z2M

I write a litte automation for debug and testing purposes. I noticed that the presence_event changes when I press the reset_nopresence_status button.
So I wrote this automation that triggers the reset_nopresence_status every few seconds via mqtt.

It is not a final solution :smiley: But I really want to know If it give you (z2m users) the same results…?

1 Like

I just picked one up through Aliexpress and I’m having similar problems. Integrated through ZHA, it will detect presence within a few seconds but never clears. I tried placing it face down on the floor like some suggested but it still won’t clear. Does this indicate a defective piece of hardware?

Do you have a metal bread baking pan? Place that over it while in a concrete floor. Should really turn off after that.

I put it on a brick and covered it with a metal pot and it still won’t turn off