Athom Smart Plugs (Reliability / Lifetime / Time to failure) [please contribute]

Thanks, but I don’t really want a command line, I’d prefer something integrated with Home Assistant. This has taken over the thread somewhat, apologies for that. It seems like there’s a steep learning curve and I don’t have time to spend on it right now.

The new firmware I uploaded to the Athom Smart Plug is working fine. The only downside was having to set it up again from scratch. It’s sending data to HA every 10 seconds, which is what I was trying to avoid because I don’t need massive amounts of history for those entities, I solved that by turning the history for that entity off entirely.

2 Likes

Hey @tomwaldnz, @markpurcell and co, you’re getting a little off topic;)

Edit: I see you’ve acknowledged that above Tom. Cheers.

Please just read the docs (till the end)!

https://esphome.io/guides/getting_started_command_line#bonus-esphome-dashboard

Thank you!

1 Like

I bought four and all of these failed: started rebooting, and now are bricked.
Sometimes these show up on wifi, have an ip according to the router, but are otherwise unresponsive to ping or any connection.

Model: Athom Smart Home Model PG01V2 - EU156A
Ordered on 12 Oct 2022 at : Athom Global Store on aliexpress
First use: on 2022 Oct 26
First failure: exactly one year later. (all failed within three months)
Usage: not switched much/at all. These where always-on and used for measuring power. Even those measuring “nothing” where broken eventually.

Cause: I guess these only lasted a dozen ESPHome updates, and the memory is corrupt. Each plug had their problems first appear after an update + reboot.

Plugs I owned that worked fine for years:

• Koogeek smart plug KLSP1. (no longer available with ESP8266 inside)
1 Like

Super! Nice pictures. How did it turn out?
Since I have 4 of these shitty plugs, i might try too. #repairallthethings

I repaired all, around 30
all of them the same issue: capacitor

2 Likes

30! oh wow!

I might do mine when the time comes.

Do you have any recommendations on sizing and selecting good capacitors?

Can I buy cheap on Ali Express or do you need to pick quality etc.

We should start building up some tips / photo’s etc on the fix so that the more adventurous can try.

I just put 16V 680uF

1 Like

I wonder if V3 includes any reliability / lifetime improvements…

1 Like

Saw that. Not available for UK yet. Ironically my plugs are still working but I might stress test the new version on higher rated appliances (if released in UK format).

1 Like

The Athom forum is full of people complaining about the same issues we are here.

So I would would hope they are improving the product with each iteration. They are certainly focusing on price.

I’m not willing to waste any more money on them… i thought the prices were really good when i ordered them… till i worked out it was USD not AUD! didn’t know until i checked the bank statement.

1 Like

I started dabbling with these…

i have quite a few of those arlec ones around the house, although i opened them up and replaced the tuya modules with esp ones and flashed them with tasmota. they have been pretty rock solid for the last few years.

1 Like

Im not sure about the availability outside the USA but, ive been a big fan of Kauf outlets and bulbs. Hes one of us, a HA hobbyist and sells products made for HA or more specifically Esphome.

They are a little more expensive than Athom but, come on! Pay the extra little bit and support a guy trying to make products for us HA users.

I cant speak for the quality of Athom as i dont have any but, i have lots of Kauf bulbs and outlets. They are very good quality and work great.

https://kaufha.com/products/

1 Like

Localbytes sells esphome plugs in the EU and UK and @AAllport is also one of us :wink:

I didnt know that. Thats good to know though. I always try to support small businesses or community vendors like these 2. Ill spend the extra couple dollars and support them every single time if my choice is that or the den of thieves Aliexpress.

2 Likes

IMG_0591

2 Likes

I have 8 Arlec PC191HA’s around the house for almost a year and none have died. Most are just for monitoring low power devices but one on the dryer, the dishwasher, and the washing machine. The dryer pulls about 2000W, device is warm, but hasn’t missed a beat.

I also have some Athom plugs that have been working without issue. Low power going through them and, like the Arlec’s, generally not switching under load. All my devices have been modded onto esphome.

3 Likes