Australia - Electrically Certified Hardware

Yeah I tried a few of those different options and I can’t seem to make any of them actually get the lights to work. It has me stumped…

I had a genio 9w white bulb that I couldn’t flash via tuya convert. I had given up on it as I wasn’t prepared to open it up and was using it as a dumb led light.
I recently got it working with localtuya and the responsiveness is great.

Still testing it out and have some suggestions and/or git commits for the localtuya project.

Yeah maybe localtuya is the go with these ones

I have 2 of these. Although everything works fine in the Tuya or Smart Life apps, the integration is not good. It won’t create all the entities. As a result you can only turn the fan on/off. No speed control, nor any control over the light.

Sounds like you don’t have much to loose by trying. Apart from time but given you are here I can only assume you have already committed many many hours to HA like the rest of us.

Localtuya is not perfect and still has a bit of improving to do. But I have been seeing more and more tuya devices (in this thread and in my collection) that cannot be flashed. I think the future for devices like this is through a native local tuya api. Hopefully tuya don’t lock this down.
I like esphome and tasmota but I have found on most my off the shelf devices I don’t change the configuration at all after the first config.

My tuya fan wouldn’t show up on tuya cloud at all. I could only see my lights.
You might get similar results to my arlec grid tuya fan using localtuya.

Using the localtuya custom component and some testing though the tuyapi which it uses I was able to get and set the following datapoints (DPS, this seems to be a tuya term for a function that can be controlled).

DPS [1] VALUE [True] --> fan on,off > True, False
DPS [3] VALUE [6] --> fan speed > 1-6
DPS [4] VALUE [forward] --> fan direction > forward, reverse
DPS [9] VALUE [True] --> light on/off > True, False
DPS [10] VALUE [100] --> light brightness > 0-100
DPS [11] VALUE [100] --> light colour (cool-warm) > 0-100
DPS [102] VALUE [normal] --> preset mode > normal, sleep, nature
DPS [103] VALUE [off] --> timer > off, 1hour, 2hour, 4hour, 8hour

I had to tweak the fan.py in the integration to get the speeds I wanted for low, med and high.
I am hoping to find some time to make a git contribution to the fan component in localtuya to use the new fan speed percentage and add all the functionality the component.

4 Likes

Hi all.

I’d like to know if anyone knows whether the Zen Thermostat (Zigbee edition) is available for purchase locally in Australia.

It’s a slick looking unit, and will be perfect to operate my ducted gas heating. (Because it’s a 3-star brivis unit it has no smarts in it at all, and to go down the native hardware route was going to require 2 or three separate components totalling something like $800!)

A little research shows me that Telstra used to support it with the Smart Home ecosystem, and Reece (plumbing, etc.) have the wifi version. I’m following up with them about the zigbee one.

Also, if anyone has other recommendations for zigbee thermostats that control a 24V AC wire pair I’d love to hear about them.

Centralite Pearl is another one that came up in searches,
https://www.centralite.com/products/pearl-thermostat
but they are hard to track down too.

Not all. Their support FAQ How to make Kasa smart devices controlled local only includes lists of products which can, and products which cannot, be controlled locally. Fortunately it looks like most of the common ones available in Aus are good :wink:

Hey guys,

Anyone know if any smart plug with energy monitoring still works with Tuya Convert.

I just picked up some Mirabella Genio Wi-Fi Power Plug with Energy Monitoring, but they don’t work anymore.

I cant even add them to the normal Tuya app anymore (are they locked to the branded app?)

Question is do I take them back or take a chance that Tuya convert might get a new exploit.

My hatred for corporations has been renewed 1000 fold today, I tell ya. What a waste of time effort and money HAHA

This one:

1 Like

I doubt this will happen to be honest. The git repo discussion has gone pretty quiet.

The TP-Link KP115 doesn’t require flashing and works with the HA TP-link integration, locally I believe. About $29 from Bunnings, The Good Guys, Harvey Norman etc.

1 Like

Well, after going for a drive to Glebe Office works and picking up two, can confirm these don’t work either.

Ok, these look promising.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/tp-link-kasa-kp115-smart-plug-with-energy-monitoring_p0247164

Wow, who would have thought TP link would be the best option HAHA

I am a bit concerned about this issue with the integration alert.

Did you run into this issue?

That’s a surprise considering everyone else here has been able to flash them.

I avoid TP-Link out of spite for closing that local port. But they are offering custom firmware to Home Assistant users so it’s up to you.

I just turned off the converter, so cant give the exact error. But something like, the firmware is too new and cannot be converted.

couldn’t connect on reconnect, something like that?

They also don’t appear as a hotspot anymore either, but I did manage to add both the Kmart Gino and the Brilliant to the native Tuya app, so what I was saying before about them being locked to their branded app was wrong.

Is this the same as the box you have?

Just my luck HAHA

I don’t have them yet!

I was planning on picking up a couple when I get home next month to replace some failed Kogan V1s.

This is distressing news if true.

Can they be opened easily (for serial flashing)?

No completely sealed.

I even got a hot gun on the kmart ones, didn’t budge… Well, within the, I might have to take these back level of trying to get them apart LOL

The brill ones are the same;

If you’re not in a metro area, or go to some quiet store, might have old stock.

I did see a brillant smart plug that was in a completely different box and a fair bit bigger than these units, almost brought it to see lol. But no energy monitoring, not much point.

Yeah, see that’s what I thought when I read it as well HAHA… But I dont see myself as having a lot of choice right now :frowning:

Its just like these devices, I could use them with tuya local. but… f em

This is what really gets to the makers in the community, it just comes across as rather then sell a device they want to capture your data and on sell that. Screw those greedy “lots swear words” HAHA

Glad you got it working.

Agree that tinkering is always a balancing act between effort, satisfaction and usefulness of outcome - especially when other devices/ methods are available.

1 Like