Australia - Electrically Certified Hardware

Hi everyone

1. Is there any decent water leak detectors that are simple to setup in HA. Ideally it would have an external alarm as well as smart integrator. Don’t mind what format to use it whether it is wifi / zigbee / hub etc.
    I look on ebay and theres heaps of tuya ones but on reading it says Ha doesn’t support sensors like that. Thanks!

2. Is there a decent Ha integrated aussie certified smart plug that could support a kettle or a
    1500w heater without tripping itself or damaging the plug. (not running on the same plug)

Look here: Database of Zigbee devices compatible with ZHA, Tasmota, Zigbee2MQTT, deCONZ, ZiGate and ioBroker and search the page for “leak”. The ones with the blue icon next to them are compatible with ZHA, the yellow icon Zigbee2Mqtt.

Considering most kettles are rated at 2400W and the Australian outlets are only rated for 2400W, that means you would have to buy a low power kettle. 1200W kettles are available, but even that exceeds the outlet rating when combined with a 1500W heater. So the answer is “no”. Use two separate smart plugs and two separate outlets.

I use the “xiaomi water leak sensor” in the laundry and it works well. Its just a zigbee sensor though, all alarming is done by HA

1 Like

Well, that took at least 5 minutes to integrate!
I will run it for a little while before buying a bunch more, but it looks quite nice. Best part is a long attached cord, which will make it easier for the sparky to wire up in the ceiling when he replaces the old 50w Halogen juice-suckers. For those looking to install before the next release of Zigbee2MQTT…

I set up an external converter in Zigbee2MQTT to get it recognised as this:
TuYa TS0505B control via MQTT | zigbee2mqtt.io following the instructions in here: How to support new Tuya devices | zigbee2mqtt.io and going to zigbee-herdsman-converters/tuya.js at 600f14de5bd0f9d2bea9929270038f22ecb7cc1f · Koenkk/zigbee-herdsman-converters · GitHub and copying the extend: extend and meta into my converter, added to config, restarted Z2M, and hey-presto! .

Here is the external converter.js for anyone interested. I will submit a pull request and get the fingerprint added to the zigbee-herdsman-converters for the next release.

const tz = require('zigbee-herdsman-converters/converters/toZigbee');
const exposes = require('zigbee-herdsman-converters/lib/exposes');
const reporting = require('zigbee-herdsman-converters/lib/reporting');
const extend = require('zigbee-herdsman-converters/lib/extend');
const e = exposes.presets;
const ea = exposes.access;

const definition = {
    fingerprint: [
        {
            modelID: 'TS0505B',
            manufacturerName: '_TZ3000_1mtktxdk'
        },
    ],
    model: 'TS0505B',
    description: '7w RGBW Downlight',
    vendor: 'Tuya',
    description: 'Mercator Walter 7W RGBW Downlight',
    extend: extend.light_onoff_brightness_colortemp_color(),
            meta: {applyRedFix: true, enhancedHue: false},
};

module.exports = definition;

1 Like

I worded my question wrong. Thanks!

What did you meant to ask then?

Also, if you are into DIY there’s this write up I did on an ESP based water leak sensor too:

Sorry, I replied to the wrong post. see further down the thread. I installed the 7W downlight into HA, and it is great. Looks like they are just rebranded Tuya Zigbee products, so work out of the box with Zigbee2MQTT with an “external converter.js” , and don’t need a cloud integration etc like the wifi products.

Does anyone have any recommendations for replacing an old air conditioning zone controller? I have the Daikin Airbase which works great but still have to manually turn zones on and off… first world problem! Would ideally love something cost effective to automate zones as well so I can turn on and off based on Xiaomi temp sensors I have in each room/zone…

You could very easily replace the zone controller with an ESP device running ESPhome.

Thanks for this, any good guides that you know of to show how I might make a start on this? I assume I would just replace the controller with 3 x ESP8266 relays, power them and then perhaps replace the current controller with some push buttons as well?

A single ESP device using 3 buttons/switches wired inputs (to replace the switches on the old controller) and 3 relays to switch the output to the zone control motors.

Followed link, did everything very carefully and what do you know…has now brought everything into Home Assistant with out re-flashing etc. Have another 6 devices now available.
Best news I have had for months.
Great find Patrick!!

2 Likes

On point number 2, I use an Aeotec 40 Amp Smart Switch (SmartHome - Aeotec Z-Wave Heavy Duty Smart Switch) that has worked flawlessly on a 20 Amp spa circuit that usually draws upwards of 3500 watts when running full tilt, and more recently on a kitchen stove (I had to replace the stove so I moved the switch from the spa to behind the stove to stop my little ones hands randomly turning knobs on the front and turning it on). It does power monitoring, temperature, etc… and is a really robust unit.
I plan on getting more of them to integrate into my Hot Water System (in conjunction with solar array output monitoring and switching capability based on peak generation), and replace the one I stole from the spa, but for anyone who doesn’t already have one, there are two big things to consider…
1.) They aren’t cheap - around $150 per unit
2.) They run on ZWave… so unless you have an existing ZWave network, you’ll have to outlay extra to integrate the network into Home Assistant.
Otherwise… I really cannot fault the device.

Hi i was dumb.

I meant to say separately on different outlets. So it’s one for heater and one for kettle. I keep reading people plugs failing on spikes on startup on these appliances. Fridges seem to spike and kill some smart plugs.

Hi DarkPinnacle,

I was looking at purchasing multiple triple double and single gang light switches from Oz Smart things and was wondering if the light switches have inbuilt power monitoring?

This would sway my purchase choice from the light switches to the Shellys if they did not have power monitoring.

Has anyone come accross a smart light switch similar to these that have in built power monitoring?

No they don’t. But I don’t really see the point in that just for light switches.

Since you would know the power rating of the lights connected, you could just have HA calculate the power usage whenever that light is ON.

1 Like

… and there is a HACS repository that might help you with that (haven’t tried myself yet): GitHub - bramstroker/homeassistant-powercalc: Custom component to calculate estimated power consumption of lights and other appliances

That isn’t even needed for this use case since a simple utility meter integration could be setup based on there being a known power consumption whenever that light is on…but, that custom component does look pretty cool!

1 Like

Yes, correct. I was already thinking ahead of using dimmers or dimmable smart bulbs.