Australia - Electrically Certified Hardware

I have a couple of tuya devices… and I don’t mind the cloud that much.
With the smart plug, does it leave enough room so you can use the second socket or does it take up too much space ?

Yeah these ones are very compact.
Can fit two.

Have you been able to test the new MQTT fan config I posted?

Also, I purchased another fan controller, same model, from JD Lighting last week and it has the newer Tuya firmware so can not be TuyaConvert-ed. I tried to solder wires and flash manually, but didn’t have any success so have set up with LocalTuya, which seems to be working fine.

It has the TYWE3S chip, so should be able to flash manually. Did you manually flash any and if so, which pins did you use?

I haven’t a chance yet. Unfortunately had a few other important things to fix around the house.

No, mine are the original stock which could be tuya-converted. I tried flashing a TYWE3S in something else with no luck so bough a bunch of ESP12-F’s but have so far had no success getting anything flashed on those either (dramas with the test board I bought).

1 Like

I’m using localtuya as I would like the option of switching off the cloud connection – the only real “hassle” is extracting the codes from iot.tuya.com and I’m sure they will eventually close that down. :slight_smile:

I’m not strictly against the cloud, but would prefer local.

What brand are those, please? I haven’t seen them before.

Well,. I just had my second Kogan gen2 die… This one was connected to my fridge… Some interesting details. According to home assistant,. It lost access at 7am on Tues 9th… however it seems it was still allowing power until I opened the fridge at noon wed 10th… So it seems once it lost wireless first before it totally failed. Lucky I was home and noticed it …the fridge was still cold,. So it must not have failed for too long … Also it seems that the USB ports still produce power…

So I might remove the others I have,. Since they seems to be as unrealable as the gen1

1 Like

Similar experience here. I had my first Kogan gen2 die last week.
The latest batch I bought cannot be tuya-converted anymore; opening one up and looking at serial flashing it did not look too easy; and the official tuya integration is a bit underwhelming when it comes to power consumption reporting as it seems far less fine-granular and less frequent, rendering use-cases based on timely power consumption report useless. Time to look for an alternative product…

Is this legal in Australia?

Not unless it has the regulatory compliance mark (RCM) on the other side.

RCM-300x193

I know this is off topic but might be specific to Oz…

How long has Google responded with chimes to requests to turn things on and off ?

It’s bloody great !!

Previously…

‘hey Google, turn on the kitchen light’
‘ok, turning on the kitchen light’

Now…

‘hey Google, turn on the kitchen light’
‘bing bong’

I’ve always got the chimes response if the google speaker is in the same room as the lights. If it’s in a different room I get the verbal confirmation.

Have you recently changed room assignments of your lights or google speaker?

Actually I have, but not in that room.
Curious

:thinking:

For those that don’t mind Tuya based devices:

2 Likes

Yet another question from me on Shelly devices, specifically the 1L. The 1L allows you to control 2 switches, is it possible to fit a wall plate with 2 switches both connect to the shelly giving me options to control 2+ devices but only have one of the switches physically wired to something, let’s say a light bulb?

Use case is in my bedroom I have a single switch currently with an L1 behind it. That switch is physically wired to the bedroom ceiling light. I would like to replace it with a double switch, one still wired to the ceiling light but the other wired to nothing. However, on press of the second switch I use HA to open the bedroom blinds.

Wonder if the smart plugs could be the new cheap go-to ahead of the short lived Kogans and Office works ones.

Anyone have any expectations as to whether they are likely flashable with Tuya-convert?

Hey all.

I notice that some of you are using (and quite successfully) the IoTaWATT energy monitor system here on AU homes.

Has anyone used a Emporia Gen 2 Vue energy monitor yet ?
I think this also has UL approvals same as the IoTaWatt, and an 8 CT system is considerably cheaper when shipped to AU.

I saw these smart switches at Coles (Hornsby/NSW) yesterday for $20. The USB version looks suspiciously similar to the Kogan gen2 switches. Blaupunkt is actually a well known German car accessory company, so not sure when they started putting their brand name onto these devices.

Likewise, their smart switches look exactly the same as the Kogan gen2 ones.

If i had to make a wild guess: They’re all from the same factory and everyone’s just putting a brand name on them.

1 Like

That would have been after they went bankrupt and just became a brand name that gets put on electronics trying to trade off what they used to be.

5 Likes