Australia - Electrically Certified Hardware

Bugger. Maybe I got lucky and got old stock - Only bought mine about a month ago.

is what it is. I found a kiwi site that pulled them apart and reflashed them, so i’ll have a go at that later on. I dont mind running tuya for super non critical stuff, but much rather the local control that tasmota offers.

Got a link to the pulling apart?

I asked the other day how others have been doing with chip swaps. Sadly no feedback I have had great luck so far.

Eg I have just converted one of the Bunnings “Orion garage door controllers” https://www.bunnings.com.au/orion-grid-connect-smart-garage-door-controller-with-sensor_p0261686

Not quite orthodox as I ended up hardwiring the door sensor to function differently with 2 x 1k ohm resistors. Not sure if I damaged the little transistor but just worked around it.

Or possibly the WBR3 has the ability to pull down pin 12. Either way it works now.

I never did flash this one, because I never manage to open it. I see some people have drilled it open, or made a tool. With the new Tuya-v2 integration in HA, I started using this device as is, waiting for Tuya to give locate control as promised. If they don’t come through, I might make a tool to open it up.

Yeah that’s not going to happen now. They’ve changed the original plan.

1 Like

The cynic in me says local control was never really the plan.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t call it cynicism, more a realistic appraisal. I had doubts from the outset, given the IPO a few months ago.
An advantage, for Tuya, would be reduced load on their servers. Maybe the CCP thought otherwise. People, like the woman tennis player, disappear if there is dissent or contrary to the CCP.

1 Like

Well time to crack them all open…

“Open the plastic case by carefully hitting and working around the sides of the shell around the opening side with a plastic-ended hammer. This should break the glue, not the shell if done correctly.”

1 Like

I’ve had good success in the past by placing the device to open in a vice with the glue seam right above the top of the vice jaws. Gentle squeezing with the vice usually cracks glue or ultrasonic welds along the seam.

Mind you I have not tried this method with the Brilliant plugs as all mine flash with Tuyaconvert. I bought a batch of 20 or so before Officeworks ran out of stock last time. Maybe the new stock is an updated model. Externally they look the same.

You could achieve the same outcome for less effort using a Sonoff SV and a wired magentic reed switch. I ditched my MyQ system for this method and it works very reliably and very cheap ($15) with the added bonus of no soldering.

It’s one of them scenarios where you bought it last year😂 but for about $3 it’s now out of the cloud. Added bonus is it comes with the power supplies and a double adapter too.

Anyone come across these power monitoring smart plugs https://www.amazon.com.au/meross-Smart-Outlet-Energy-Monitor/dp/B097289C24/ref=sr_1_7?keywords=smart+plug&psr=EY17&qid=1637581591&s=black-friday&sr=1-7

Are they esp based?

Haven’t tried them myself, but there is a HACS component for Meross devices and another one using their cloud.

Thanks, the HACS component will give me an option if it not an esp. I’ll give them a go,

Ozsmartthings have dropped their price for the Shelly1 to $13 as a part of their Black Friday sale

3 Likes

Amazon was quick. The Meross mss310 does not contain an esp chip, it’s a mediatek arm mt7682n.
So I’ll give HACS integration a try.

Aside. These plug are bigger than I expected, you won’t be able to put two side by side in a standard gpo. About 67 mm square