Australia - Electrically Certified Hardware

Doesn’t seem like anyone else has these, but just in case you do, there are some errors in the manual and a bug in the firmware for scene activation.

The manual includes a reference to two additional configuration parameters - parameter options 4 and 5 don’t actually exist in the firmware, so you can only set 0-3.

The bug with scene activation has been worked around in zwavejs, and the device will now properly activate scenes.

This means that you can now intercept the notifcation in HomeAssistant and use it to trigger automations… You will need to set an association group (group 2) for the device back to the controller in zwavejs before scenes will be notified, but that’s pretty simple.

Price is factor but so is product category. I have a lot of experience in this field you should be 100% covered. Things failing in general is not ok and multiple/ if you find other people online with same problem only strengthens the argument. (for reference I taken apple to VCAT and won $650 for an 8 year old Mac that died. Wether the company chooses to do it out of “good will” or otherwise I’ would be persistent for a replacement or refund

1 Like

DETA switches are no longer using ESP chips. They use Beken chips. There is a Tasmota equivelant project for anyone interested here https://github.com/openshwprojects/OpenBK7231T_App. I managed to flash a 2 Gang wall switch with the new OpenBK7231T firmware https://www.elektroda.com/rtvforum/viewtopic.php?p=20087146#20087146

3 Likes

:face_vomiting:

Cheapest nastiest fire hazard that Bunnings stock.

Cheapest? I don’t think so but I am seriously interested why you think they are a fire hazard. I have many of them installed in my house for over 3 years now and I have not had any issues with them! Is there a rating or a benchmark that you are using?

2 Likes

I wrote up a guide for this Detailed guide on how to flash the new Tuya Beken Chips with OpenBK7231T

Enjoy!

3 Likes

I bought a couple of the Sercomm (Telstra) smart plugs mentioned further up this topic.

I have been using one for about six months and I have noticed it has become very chatty with mqtt. The zigbee2mqtt log shows it is reporting every two seconds, which makes for a massive log file. This has only started happening in the last few weeks.

I have tried changing the reporting settings for the plug in zigbee2mqtt, but that didn’t seem to help - mind you the settings are a bit of a mystery to me, so maybe I just made it worse.

Has anyone else had an issue with these plugs?

They send a lot due to the power monitoring…?

They do send data, but other devices only update every 10 or 60 seconds. I set this one to a 30 second update on everything (or so I thought) and it still sends something every 2 seconds.

If I am reading the reporting setting correctly, it should report on/off immediately but things like current should only report every 10 seconds and even then, only if the reading has changed by “x”.

Voltage - I thought - was set to only report every 360 seconds and then only if it varied by more than 3 volts.

I might just be reading the z2m configuration wrong.

Mine send a power message as soon as it changes so can be every couple of seconds

Tks. I guess I should ask about this in a z2m page rather than here.

Not sure if it is an issue though as it is just what the plug sends. You can change the filter at the top?

I’ve got six of them and they will run perfectly for months then every few days turn off randomly usually within a few seconds of each other…

if you then turn them back on they switch off again, you have to wait ten minutes before switching them on again.

At one point I thought it was overheating but even ones with no load shut down.

I’ve tried removing them from the network (I had a crash and lost all my configuration so the adapter was unplugged for several days) and they still did the same thing even when not connected to the router

I planned on building a ZigBee sniffer but it turns out my old Atmel Raven sniffer doesn’t work and I haven’t had time to get a new one.

Tks - It’s a pity there are some issues with these because I was hoping to move to Zigbee and away from my Tuya Local switches. These looked like a great alternative.

The other downside is their physical size. You can’t place two together on a double outlet, while the little Grid Connect (Tuya) plugs from Bunnings fit nicely.

YMMV as I am using two and no problems at all. The only thing I think is they aren’t great as routers for devices that report infrequently (eg. my door sensors) as they were dropping them from my network.

Indeed it’s not as bad as I make out, I just don’t use them on critical things like the Fridges, etc.

Compared to my 18 Kogan switches of which 14 died just out of warranty I’m doing ok!

2 Likes

In 7th form statistics we studied how long to give warranties given expected lifetime stats and the number you were prepared to pay out on inside the warranty period.

You do realise your consumer legislation probably gives a longer warranty.

Guys has anything changed in the availability of sub-circuit energy monitors with multiple CT inputs (like 6 and above). Some while ago the IoTaWatt US made unit was the best around, has that changed or a good competitor arrived ?

Hi all, are there many users of Clipsal Wiser switches here?
I’ve been planning out the smartening or the lighting for our whole house and I’m quite set on smart switches driving dumb dimmable lights.

We have a bunch of 3 way and 4 way lighting circuits and clipsal has the only solution that I’ve found that allows to have a wired solution for multi-point control that will work regardless of connectivity etc. I love that these are zigbee and from what I’ve read will work fine with my conbee II instead of needing the clipsal wiser hub. There was some comments a bit earlier about needing the hub to do firmware updates, which would be a worry. Does anyone know if wiser mechs can be updated using Z2MQTT?

I bought a few grid connect devices and got them working great on localtuya but I’m not happy with the software solution for travelling light switches that way, plus the number of wifi devices I’ll end up with.

I just discovered the existence of the Wiser Zigbee switches yesterday. I have a perfect candidate to test one on. The sole compatible Clipsal wall plate in my house is in my garage, so I could swap out my garage light switch for a Clipsal 41E2PBSWMZ-VW.

They’re pricey as, but I personally prefer paying more for peace of mind that there’s decent hardware in my walls that isn’t going to spontaneously combust.