Australia - Electrically Certified Hardware

I have a bunch of Telstra (Sercomm) Zigbee Plugs for sale if anyone is interested. DM me.

Just a follow up to my last post. I took it back to Bunnings to do a swap for another one. Had a look on the shelf to see if they had any Series 1 units, but all are Series 2. Just finished setting up the new one and it’s doing the same thing.

Here is a screenshot from iot.tuya.com of the Series 1, then one for the Series 2. You can see a big difference between the two.

I don’t know much about how the Tuya platform works, but given that the Series 2 doesn’t have anything for a light, and 26 fan speeds, how does the tuya app only show 3 speeds, and the light works fine, yet the debug shows there is no light??

On a similar note has anyone taken apart one of these I was thinking of grabbing some Ventair fans and putting some modified esp units in

Just spotted a rotary dimmer as well. Looks like the lighting outlet is the only place it is listed so far.

I would guess they would use the tuya MCU and you could make your own esp dongle once you’ve figured out the data points with a breakout for whatever the port type is (usb?).

Although I guess it also depends where the mcu is? In the fan or in the dongle? Perhaps it’s just uart etc by the time it gets to the usb wires.

I’m a bit rookie with this stuff so mostly guessing…

Looks like JimmyJames (a sparky on YouTube) has beaten you too it and is selling the ESPHome compatible versions.

5 Likes

And at 1/3 of the price, it really does say ‘stick it’ to Tuya

3 Likes

Do any of you guys have any experience with these ?

I have just stumbled across them, Looks like they are Tuya, But I am hoping they have an ESP inside !

Quick follow up, This is the response from eco3. I will grab a unit and confirm.

1 Like

Does anyone know if the NSpanels are certified in AU? The EU version at least is rated for 240V.

They aren’t. The ‘US style’ (larger one) is also 240V rated.

1 Like

Hi all, apologies if this is the wrong place, happy to start a new thread if it is.

Looking to get about 20 Shelly’s installed throughout my house. Anyone have go-to electricians in Brisbane Southside region that I don’t have to attempt to explain everything to re: these relays?

You might also try asking on the Whirlpool Home Tech forum. I know there is a fair overlap of members, but I can’t guess how much.

If you’re not already familiar with Whirlpool, " Whirlpool.net.au is a fully independent community website devoted to keeping the public informed about the state of internet access in Australia. Since its inception in 1998 as a broadband community resource, it has become a premier destination for Australian internet news and information. Today, Whirlpool is arguably Australia’s largest technology-related discussion forums. "

The name comes from it stirring up the Big Pond way back when there wasn’t (much of) a choice of broadband ISPs. And nothing to do with washing machines :wink:

2 Likes

I always wondered what the name was referring to, thanks!

AKA Whingepool

1 Like

I would love a couple of the NSPanel for my place, but as far as I can see not certified for Australia unfortunately. Seems quite a bit of the sonoff gear isn’t certified here

1 Like

Yeah, I have similar all throughout my house in 1/2/3 gang variety like this …

All flashed with Tasmota and working great.

Moving house soon and taking them with me.

I won’t need all them for the new property, so the rest will be sold.

If you are interested, send me DM and I could part with some :+1:

1 Like

At $70-ish bucks they’re very appealing. Just for the sake of the chat, what’s the consequences of installing an uncertified device in AU? I suppose you wouldn’t be able to find a sparky to do the work (or sign off on it), and you’d probably have insurance issues if something went wrong with the device.

I thought some folks here might like this picture. My last Kogan smart plug died yesterday - so I opened it up along with its dead brothers to see what I could see.

I’m no PCB expert, but that looks like a design flaw or “planned obsolescence” :smile:

Well, that blows. I had two of them installed, in one instance I replaced a couple of Athom Tech ESP plugs used for washing machine & dryer.
But given we can’t separate the power draw, looks like I’ll have to put them back in.
I did try to plug one in and use a template to subtract the power usage of the plug from the outlet, in order to provide me with power usage of the non-plug outlet, but given their reporting times are not aligned it kept messing up my automations.

Would be nice if one day we had pre-flashed ESP-based wall outlets.

1 Like