Australia - Electrically Certified Hardware

Thanks @tom_l

I have now setup the NAS backup option, which then my QNAP backups to AWS :slight_smile:

That was easy. I have been meaning to do this for a while. So simple!

1 Like

So the SSD died in my Pi :frowning: and I only had a really old backup :sob:

Did you mean micro-SD card maybe (rPi donā€™t have SSD)?

They are notoriously unreliable, so a lot of people now run an external SSD drives via USB on their rPI units.

Nope SSD
I was using a old 240GB SSD as the micro SD cards are meant to be unreliable

Is there any powerboard which has individual socket control and monitoring, which works with ESPHome ?
Would prefer to not use a bunch of smart plugs on the board, as hopefully a powerboard is cheaper

On the plug front
Are the current kogan (with USB) still flashable with ESPHome ?

Arlec PB88UHA I did with tasmota a while back. I make no guarantee it will still be flashable, it will likely get the psk error now. it has a tasmota template on blakadder, not sure if someone has converted it to esphome.

not sure I have seen power monitoring on a powerboard.

Yes. I flashed it with serial and it works great. Used a $3.50 USB to serial converter from Amazon. Connected the wires to the chip using stapler pins and alligator clips (no soldering).

Hi
How far did you get with the hub ?
Get it working yet ?
Paul

What is a stapler pin?

Purchased some of the Kogan SmarterHome Plugs with usb about a week ago (https://www.kogan.com/au/buy/kogan-smarterhome-smart-plug-energy-meter-5v-24a-usb-ports-4-pack/). I believe they now have the new firmware on them and I couldnā€™t flash them with tuya-convert. Managed to pry open the case and flash with tasmota by soldering to the wifi module (had to remove it from the board first to do a proper job). Case is not easily opened though and I cracked it quite badly. This being the case I wouldnā€™t recommend these plugs until tuya-convert is updated to work with new firmware.

Some photos, https://imgur.com/a/a8C9cfT

1 Like

Is this actively being worked on ?
Looking at GitHub thereā€™s been no updates for 4 months.

Used standard stapler pins, straightened them - they fit perfectly.

Like from a stapler you use to join paper together?

There are still issues being posted and answered.

Possibly there is nothing to report. Tuya havenā€™t made it easy!

Iā€™m disappointed, I am in the same boat, purchased a couple of weeks ago. I havenā€™t opened them up yet. I have a pack of 4 sitting on the shelf collecting dust. Seems tuya has updated the firmware on these and these new batches of Kogan smart plugs have the new unflashable tuya firmware.

I think at this point we have to pretty much assume that buying anything Tuya related comes with a pretty significant risk of not being able to use Tuya-Convert

Yeah that is the problem with showing a company how insecure their software is, they fix the insecurities.

This, along with the substitution of non esp chips in many devices, is becoming a real PITA.

I purchased the 4 pack of smart plugs back in May. Got them and was able to use Tuya convert on all 4 of them.

However a few weeks ago, I went to test the only one I havenā€™t implemented, and it didnā€™t work. The button wouldnā€™t do anything, the light didnā€™t come on. However the USB ports still worked. :-s

So I logged a request with Kogan for a replacement, which they send out without too much trouble. I powered it up and was able to use Tuya convert on it as well. So unless this was older stock, it seems the plugs can still be converted, However it is now a risk purchasing anything as the LED strips I got from kogan had the latest firmware and couldnā€™t be OTA converted.

Sure Are

https://mirabellagenio.net.au/power-board

I have one of each already converted if you would like to PM me.

Also the BrilliantSmart which I posted about earlier in the thread.

EDIT: that Vivitar that @meremortal pointed to looks just like the BrilliantSmart!

https://www.brilliantsmart.com.au/smart-products/electrical/smart-powerboard/