Australia - Electrically Certified Hardware

Good idea,
I hope I haven’t screwed myself as I am pretty sure it did a firmware update when I connected it. (Don’t know what I was thinking!)

Pretty sure the code has expired sorry. Looks like they are on special on the site anyway with free shipping to Australia.

sorry, I meant your ESPhome code for the programming. I have already got 6 lights on their way :smile:

EDIT: ok, the Hastebin link seems to be working today, didn’t for me yesterday. Thanks again

I am making some progress with the Kogan RGBW bulbs. I used the template settings for the Luminea ZX-2832 E27 RGBW Bulb here and now have the RGB channels working, and used Setoption19 1 to have HA auto-discover the bulb.

A couple of problems remain, the sliders for Cool/Warm work more like a dimmer and are backwards - at 100% Cool, the bulb is fully Warm in colour, at 100% Warm the bulb is dimmed to an off state.

The brightness of the RGB colours is a little dim as well, they do display accurately though based on the colour wheel selector. So a few things left to sort out and debug, but progress is progress.

3 Likes

Awesome news. Very cool that you are able to get those figured out. I wouldn’t know where to start!

I have no idea man, it’s just trial and error :zipper_mouth_face:

Just came across these. They have Aus cert and can be flashed with Tasmota according to this template. I don’t use Tasmota as I prefer ESPhome. Is there a way to decipher the template to get enough info to create the correct ESPhome code? If it’s easy enough I might buy some of these wifi wall switches.

EDIT: just found this, so I guess it’s a case of manually deciphering the template…

1 Like

Yeah should be easy to work out from template, they probably just apply to switches and led in the template to which gpio

I had one arrive yesterday :slight_smile:

Awesome! Thanks for the link. I guess I’ll need to get myself some hardware for serial flashing… I’ve been lucky enough to get away with OTA so far

glad my pinouts are of some use.

Just curious though, why do you care about it being certified? because as soon as you flash them, the cert is out the window… the cert is only valid on the hardware and software combo as far as im aware. Thats been the case with every product i’ve ever worked on anyway… though i am in NZ, and you Aussies are all a bit different sometimes :wink:

Yeah, I understand the thoughts on that however the main issue with regards to the safety of the device is the hardware (creapage distances etc.). Plus, if the thing catches fire no one is going to know that the firmware was modified!

2 Likes

Aha kiwi too! We should form a club…

2 Likes

for sure.
I’m in electronics myself. I don’t do a lot of mains stuff, but i can at least tell a really dodgy design from a ‘she’ll be right’ design and just put them in hoping for the best haha

and yeah, we should @nickrout haha
I’m in Taupo if you ever wanna come have a beer

Christchurch :slight_smile: - likewise on the beer.

2 Likes

We just need @sparkydave to go on a month or two sebatical around aus/NZ with free lodgings and beer to do our electrical installs

2 Likes

OK, I opened it up. I like the build quality. (Not that I am an expert here …)
Google Photos
Google Photos

and then I found the pot of gold …
Google Photos
Google Photos

this seems to be the Tuya Wifi Module. Unfortunately, TuyaConvert did not work for me.
I guess the next step is some soldering.
This guy did it: GitHub - arendst/Tasmota: Alternative firmware for ESP8266 and ESP32 based devices with easy configuration using webUI, OTA updates, automation using timers or rules, expandability and entirely local control over MQTT, HTTP, Serial or KNX. Full documentation at

A project for the weekend maybe.

3 Likes

where can you get the netatmo hpm stuff?

Copy paste from another thread on the Kogan products… I’m making progress, but this is not my area or expertise at all

This is the best I can come up with so far after a solid 3 hours of trying different configs today.

{"NAME":"Kogan RGBW","GPIO":[0,0,0,0,140,38,0,0,0,37,141,0,0],"FLAG":0,"BASE":18}

This has the RGB working and has the brightness slider work independently of the color temp slider. The color temp slider now works (somewhat) in the correct way. Full warm makes the bulb 100% warm, full cool dims the bulb to about 5% brightness and no white light.

I’m starting to think these bulbs fake white light using the RGBs and only have warm LEDs for “normal” white bulb color.

Still happy to donate one to someone in Aus who might have more knowledge on how to work these things out than I do.

No idea sorry I just saw them on the HPM display at the trade expo - maybe try chasing HPM?