Australia - Electrically Certified Hardware

For anyone interested I found Mitre 10 has the HPM netatmo stuff

Also got in contact with MJS Electrical and they quoted

All pricing is already including GST.

For the switches please let us know if you want Vertical or Horizontal. The price is the same for either.

1 x Starter Kit - $488.40
1 x Single Gang Switch * requires starter kit * - $86.90
1 x Double Gang Switch * requires starter kit * - $148.50
1 x Triple Gang Switch * requires starter kit * - $198.00
1 x Single Powerpoint * requires starter kit * - $117.00

ALDI had yesterday the medion smart plugs with power monitoring. They are tuya based, tuya convert no longer works.

It is very frustrating that in NZ neither mitre 10 nor Bunnings have anywhere near the options that you guys do in Aus.

Don’t feel to bad mate, AUS has been a backwater for a long time for automation stuff. Looking at other places in the world for options shows how limited it is here

For those prices it would be better to use normal outlets and switches and install z-wave gear behind them.

1 Like

I’ve got clipsal iconic and ideally would not like to have the rocker switches so for me if i stay with them itd involve (as far as im aware)

zwave switch ~100
41EPBM Clipsal Iconic – ControlLink Remote Switch Mechanism, Momentary Push Button ~ 50

Might be able to go cheaper with the type of switches that return to their original position and aren’t push button.

HPM also have a

CONNECTED LIGHTING MICROMODULE - Part 574243 - $73.66+ GST

Which looks like a zigbee version of the zwave in wall switch

Happy to purchase and send to you if that would help? Like brilliant and kogan plugs, etc.

And this is the reason why mainstream home automation has been slow to take off in Aus. This pricing is ridiculous. They could sell all of these for half these prices and still make more than enough money.

I know I would prefer to move bulk items at a lower cost than have them sitting around collecting dust.

Exactly, those prices are extortion… especially for HPM gear, which I find generally low quality. Clipsal is far superior.

FWIW i tried to contact clipsal about non bluetooth home automation stuff and they said they didnt have anything currently in development :frowning:

Cheers, very kind of you :slight_smile:

I currently use Clipsal 4000 series switch plates with momentary mechs and install Z-Wave switches / dimmers behind them in my house. For sockets I just use the C2000 series (generally out of sight anyway) and get the ones with an auxiliary switch (where I install a momentary mech) and then wire that to Z-Wave switches installed behind. They work perfectly

Hey guys,

Could someone tell me which zigbee/zwave sticks are best for use with Xiaomi sensors/sengled LEDs and also where is the cheapest place to buy them?

The HUSBZB-1 is only available in the U.S and it’s a rip off for us Aussies…

The gear for zigbee2mqtt is pretty cheap.

I’m using several Xiaomi sensers , Tradfri and a few others with zigbee2mqtt. This is using a CC2531 device which is cheap but very effective.

I ordered all necessary components from ebay for less than 30$

1 Like

Thanks guys,

Yeah but I’ve read the range on it is pretty bad?

How much work is it to build? Can’t be stuffed to be honest :smile:

I have full coverage inside and outside my house (~furthest device is 50m in the outdoor shed).

There is always the option to run a repeater (as well described in the documentation!)

the whole flashing process was done within 10min. than I used NodeRed for the automation, but HA works as well of course

Check this thread out. He is making available assembled and pre-flashed and ready to use zigbeetomqtt sticks, in custom 3D printed cases.

Cheaper than a manufacturer version, more expensive than doing it yourself. It’s a good middle ground that may suit you.

1 Like

Also this hardware give a great range Zigbee2mqtt: getting rid of your proprietary Zigbee bridges (Xiaomi, Hue, TRADFRI)

The set up is very easy, and the documentation is great.