Australia - Electrically Certified Hardware

https://www.kogan.com/au/buy/kogan-smarterhome-smart-plug-energy-meter/

Can these ones be opened up easily? I know the ones with the USB cannot, they’re glued shut

That sucks, I have four with USB and they work well through localtuya, but I did buy them well over a year ago and haven’t updated firmware at all. Have you tried localtuya specifically for these?

Yes, I am running LocalTuya on mine. All I get coming through is the switch, no power details. My understanding is, the firmware was changed in around June/July last year on new production. If you purchased over 12 months ago then you should be fine to get the power details flowing through. My were purchased in January this year.

1 Like

Such a shame, was literally just about to buy 4 more specifically for power monitoring. Looks like we will need another option!

Yea, they open easily, but don’t expect them to last much longer than a year. Most of us on this forum who bought them have had them all fail. I’ve posted photos etc further up this thread.

2 Likes

https://www.kogan.com/au/buy/kogan-smarterhome-smart-plug-energy-meter-5v-24a-usb-ports-4-pack/
The one with the USBs.
I bought this 4 pack, but have only set up one so far.

I bought them July last year, and they shipped in Sept. It was a preorder.

The version of firmware that my Kogan plugs are running

Main Module: V1.1.7
MCU Module: V1.1.7

This info was taken from TuyaSmart app. As I said my firmware will not allow power details to be loaded via LocalTuya within HA.

It wasn’t used until it appeared in crap American TV shows and some think it is a turn of phrase used in Australia. From someone who was born just before TV started in Oz, it never has been until some script writer decided to use it in some inane show. Please, speak Australian and continue the heritage of our own language.

Just so we know, what decade can’t we go past mate?

Let me say, at the outset, people use whatever term they like. That’s Australian (well not really, we’re clearly not that inclusive).

3 Likes

I’d agree with this, go with pucks (whatever flavour you like - z-wave, zigbee or wifi) and put whatever switches you want in front of them.

A number of benefits of this approach

1. You can mix smart and dumb switches throughout the house and they’ll all look the same.
  2. If one dies, you can replace it with any puck of any make, model or revision and integrate it. No need to hunt around so they all look the same (see point 1).
  3. You can pick whatever switching gear suits your aesthetic best.

I use fibaro z-wave pucks behind clipsal iconics and they’re brilliant. Super fast, reliable and I have both physical and app dimming functionality. It’s a more pricey option than most wifi smart switches, but you get what you pay for.

2 Likes

This is a Home Assistant Forum. It’s not the place to have a bloody whinge about the language being used. Fair dinkum, you must have stuff all else to do on a Friday arvo by the sound of it.

5 Likes

Thanks dgaust. Those are great points and thanks for the brand recommendations.

Mine are on 1.1.2

Hi All

I havent been heavily involved in making any devices for my HA build for a year or so. The last thing I build was a couple of Sonoff power points that I cut into some 1 metre extension leads. Can anyone advise if in my absence their is now a better wifi (not zwave) power point.

I guess 2 questions are also relevant.

1. is it still a case of flashing chips (eg I used tasmota)
  2. is anything of the shelf available that integrates straight into HA

Regards,

Peter

FYI I bought an Arlec smart plug with monitoring from Bunnings to check out if it works through localtuya, and can confirm that power monitoring values are working in HA perfectly using localtuya.

This is the one I bought:
https://www.bunnings.com.au/arlec-grid-connect-smart-plug-in-socket-with-energy-meter_p0135442

Wont be trying to use Tasmota or anything, so these will be my go to from now on.

Cheers Ben,

Please excuse my ignorance but are you referring to the tuya integration in HA when you say localtuya.

Hey Peter,

This custom integration:

1 Like

Outstanding … thanks Ben

I needed a replacement powerboard since one my my Arlec Grid Connect (well, actually two) ones failed. I didn’t really need a smart powerboard, as all it’s doing is powering a lamp (that has a smart bulb and ikea controller) but couldn’t help myself and bought on of these

https://www.bunnings.com.au/tp-link-3-outlets-2-usb-kasa-smart-wi-fi-power-strip_p0215659

It is certainly much better built than the arlec grid connect ones, it works directly with HA through the Kasa integration, but it’s probably a bit expensive for a three point powerboard. The USB’s aren’t controllable and no power monitoring.

I have one of these too, works well. Just make sure you block it from the internet. TP link have issued firmware updates for some products that have removed the local control in home assistant