Australia - Electrically Certified Hardware

Just over one month and one of my Brilliant Officeworks smart plugs is dropping off the network intermittently.

It’s the one on the fridge. Must be spikes from the compressor switching on/off killing it.

:confused:

Edit: yeah looking at the history it is exactly when the fridge switches on and off. Will try putting a mains filter on it.

1 Like

This is news to me, don’t know if you guys had heard

3 Likes

Fantastic news if they do follow through with the local API.

2 Likes

Looks like they are working on local support in the 3rd quarter, can’t wait.
Next question is what are great Tuya devices we can use in AU/NZ. I would prefer not to have to flash devices, been there done that and 1. can’t be arsd to do an entire house and 2. when I sell the house, I want it easy for the new owners.
Thoughts/recommendations?
Cheers
B

Have a look on the Blackadder templates page. Basically any listed device is a Tuya device and the AU section will show you what we have available.

Since you are talking about using the Tuya component then you wont be flashing anything.

1 Like

thats awesome thanks soo much, perfect, now I can start buying up large, my wife will love it LOL

Don’t buy on the basis it is supposed to work sometime in the future.

1 Like

yup, I agree, but the biggest driver is when I want to sell the house, the new buyers most likely will not use HA so need to make sure it is easy for them to use and they are likely to integrate with Google or Alexa

1 Like

I’ve ordered a 7w RGB CCT downlight for a test with Z2M. Looking at the Hubitat discussion, the only concern is that they don’t appear to include a Manufacturer name or ModelId, so not sure how I’m going to be able to recognise and configure. Anyway I’ll keep you posted.

2 Likes

Hi everyone

1. Is there any decent water leak detectors that are simple to setup in HA. Ideally it would have an external alarm as well as smart integrator. Don’t mind what format to use it whether it is wifi / zigbee / hub etc.
    I look on ebay and theres heaps of tuya ones but on reading it says Ha doesn’t support sensors like that. Thanks!

2. Is there a decent Ha integrated aussie certified smart plug that could support a kettle or a
    1500w heater without tripping itself or damaging the plug. (not running on the same plug)

Look here: Database of Zigbee devices compatible with ZHA, Tasmota, Zigbee2MQTT, deCONZ, ZiGate and ioBroker and search the page for “leak”. The ones with the blue icon next to them are compatible with ZHA, the yellow icon Zigbee2Mqtt.

Considering most kettles are rated at 2400W and the Australian outlets are only rated for 2400W, that means you would have to buy a low power kettle. 1200W kettles are available, but even that exceeds the outlet rating when combined with a 1500W heater. So the answer is “no”. Use two separate smart plugs and two separate outlets.

I use the “xiaomi water leak sensor” in the laundry and it works well. Its just a zigbee sensor though, all alarming is done by HA

1 Like

Well, that took at least 5 minutes to integrate!
I will run it for a little while before buying a bunch more, but it looks quite nice. Best part is a long attached cord, which will make it easier for the sparky to wire up in the ceiling when he replaces the old 50w Halogen juice-suckers. For those looking to install before the next release of Zigbee2MQTT…

I set up an external converter in Zigbee2MQTT to get it recognised as this:
TuYa TS0505B control via MQTT | zigbee2mqtt.io following the instructions in here: How to support new Tuya devices | zigbee2mqtt.io and going to zigbee-herdsman-converters/tuya.js at 600f14de5bd0f9d2bea9929270038f22ecb7cc1f · Koenkk/zigbee-herdsman-converters · GitHub and copying the extend: extend and meta into my converter, added to config, restarted Z2M, and hey-presto! .

Here is the external converter.js for anyone interested. I will submit a pull request and get the fingerprint added to the zigbee-herdsman-converters for the next release.

const tz = require('zigbee-herdsman-converters/converters/toZigbee');
const exposes = require('zigbee-herdsman-converters/lib/exposes');
const reporting = require('zigbee-herdsman-converters/lib/reporting');
const extend = require('zigbee-herdsman-converters/lib/extend');
const e = exposes.presets;
const ea = exposes.access;

const definition = {
    fingerprint: [
        {
            modelID: 'TS0505B',
            manufacturerName: '_TZ3000_1mtktxdk'
        },
    ],
    model: 'TS0505B',
    description: '7w RGBW Downlight',
    vendor: 'Tuya',
    description: 'Mercator Walter 7W RGBW Downlight',
    extend: extend.light_onoff_brightness_colortemp_color(),
            meta: {applyRedFix: true, enhancedHue: false},
};

module.exports = definition;

1 Like

I worded my question wrong. Thanks!

What did you meant to ask then?

Also, if you are into DIY there’s this write up I did on an ESP based water leak sensor too:

Sorry, I replied to the wrong post. see further down the thread. I installed the 7W downlight into HA, and it is great. Looks like they are just rebranded Tuya Zigbee products, so work out of the box with Zigbee2MQTT with an “external converter.js” , and don’t need a cloud integration etc like the wifi products.

Does anyone have any recommendations for replacing an old air conditioning zone controller? I have the Daikin Airbase which works great but still have to manually turn zones on and off… first world problem! Would ideally love something cost effective to automate zones as well so I can turn on and off based on Xiaomi temp sensors I have in each room/zone…

You could very easily replace the zone controller with an ESP device running ESPhome.

Thanks for this, any good guides that you know of to show how I might make a start on this? I assume I would just replace the controller with 3 x ESP8266 relays, power them and then perhaps replace the current controller with some push buttons as well?

A single ESP device using 3 buttons/switches wired inputs (to replace the switches on the old controller) and 3 relays to switch the output to the zone control motors.