Australia - Electrically Certified Hardware

Thanks for sharing. Makes you question the whole Aus certifiction process doesn’t it.

1 Like

Definitely. I mean, I made an ESP based ceiling fan controller using off the shelf certified equipment but due to the laws I can’t sell it without sending it away for testing and certification. It works perfectly and has thermal protection etc, should be perfectly fine to pass but I won’t be paying to go down that road. It’s crazy what does get certified when you think about it.

Sometimes these things become a box ticking exercise. You wonder whether someone actually looks at things and says “hold on that’s not right” - if it ticks the boxes, it ticks the boxes.

They should employ Big Clive

1 Like

I recently grabbed a Cygnett smart plug and decided to pop it apart to see what WiFi module it uses.

I can’t identify what it is, the plug uses the Cygnett app but also works with the eWelink app.

Any ideas ??

Gaz

Had another Kogan V1 power monitoring plug go intermittent last night. Replaced with an Office Works Brilliant power monitoring plug today.

I took the Kogan plug to bits. No obvious signs of damage under the stereo microscope.

All caps and diodes checked to within tolerance (20% for some caps).

Went to the trouble of making it safe to plug in disassembled so I could scope the 3.3V supply then realised I hadn’t put the caps back in the board :man_facepalming: Couldn’t be bothered so I just binned it.

3 Likes

Does anyone know of any 4 gang smart switch plates that are AUS certified and are a decent price?
Glass look would be an advantage, but not essential.
Ideally can be converted to local wifi or zigbee.
I’ve had a quick look through recent posts in this thread but haven’t found anything suitable.

Look for SRL brand that can, probably still be flashed with Tasmota.

Tom,
If you are in Melbourne, I’ll take it and install either a Shelly or ESP01S.

Frank

I have not worked our what the WiFi module is but I managed to get the Cypress stuff working with the SonoffLan integration. Tested with a single plug and a 4 outlet power board.

So far it only works in the local+cloud mode but I can live with that until I get around to trying a ESP transplant.

Gaz

There is the MakeGood 4 Gang Zigbee smart switch for $49.

I have the 3 gang version which has been working well for me. My only quibble is that the relay switching is relatively loud.

Do these truly work without neutral wire?
I would need one with 5 switches, but that might just be too much of a stretch and I will pair up 2 lights to work as one.

If they don’t, at least you’ll get your money back.

Deta smart switches still fulfill that, they just need to be flashed with a programmer on the board, they can’t be OTA anymore.

Another option. Zigbee.
https://www.amazon.com.au/Nue-ZigBee-Switch-Automation-Control/dp/B089DG6XVW

That’s really disappointing as I’ve been looking for a smart tube and thought I’d give it a go. Does anyone know one that is of decent quality? I’d be fine with Wifi (ESPHome flashable preferred), Z-wave or Zigbee.

I’m using the Mercator Ikuu Double Power Point with USB - basically the same but with USB power ports as well.

fingerprint: [{modelID: 'TS011F', manufacturerName: '_TZ3210_pfbzs1an'}],
    zigbeeModel: ['TS011F'],
    model: 'SPUSB02',
    vendor: 'Mercator',
    description: 'Double Power Point with USB',

I found a similar config, and got them working. The power, voltage and current are named “*_left_power”, etc, due to them being under endpoint 1 despite representing both points. Did you just rename the entities in HA to remove the extra “_left”?

I hadn’t seen the “power_outage_memory” part of the config before. Does this setting effect both points?

How does this integrate with HA?
I currently don’t have any zigbee devices, but interested in them if integration is fairly trivial

I’ve seen some people mention to stay clear of DETA due to quality concerns, any evidence on this or anyone can back this up / contest this? They also seem a little more expensive than the other options.

You need a ZigBee hub of some description. For example, a Phillips hue hub (get one off gumtree) or a ZigBee USB stick.

1 Like

Howdy,
I’m looking for a reliable source with reasonable quality of 18650 batteries for home projects. Can anyone recommend? Prefer Aussie supplier of course.
Pat

1 Like