Australia - Electrically Certified Hardware

I’m wondering if anyone has had any experience with these new Sonoff products which have a DIY mode so they can be flashed with tasmota or esphome easily by just inserting a jumper across 2 pins?

https://www.itead.cc/smart-home/sonoff-basicr3-wifi-diy-smart-switch.html

https://www.itead.cc/smart-home/sonoff-mini.html

I understand they aren’t currently approved for sale and use in Australia but keen to know how well they work if anyone knows.

There are a few threads around here on those devices :slight_smile:

1 Like

Drzzs recently did a video on it, it seemed too convoluted. best flash with tasmota or esphome and have a better experience.

Hi @nicp I have an Aeotec Z-Stick plugged directly into my NUC running HA. I currently have DHS dimmers and Aeotec switches, but I wouldn’t buy DHS gear ever again, stick with Aeotec. The DHS dimmers don’t have any settings you can play with, they are very basic. I also use Aeotec multisensors which I use the motion to trigger lights based on the condition that the light level is low enough, no time of day code required, this means that seasons / weather / blinds being closed are automatically catered for.

I haven’t had much experience with Fibaro but they are generally more expensive. I did try a couple of Fibaro relay I/O units a few years ago but had trouble with them falsely reporting status and thus triggering my alarm system all the time so threw them in a box and never touched them again since. That said, it could have been an issue with the Vera controller I was using at the time, another product I’ll never touch again. That one actually went in the bin!

my sonoffs are mostly dead except for one working one left.
I think shelly is better choice if you want low cost wifi switch.

Why? What have you done to them?

dunno they just died, had my 4th one die today. I pulled out a fuse from the switchboard and maybe it got a small surge of power i dunno. I just haven’t found them very reliable.

That’s odd. Has to be a reason. I have 7 sonoff… S22’s and SV’s and they have not missed a beat - had for 12 months. What firmware are you running on them? (Core and Version?)

Thanks Dave, that gives me some ideas to work with.

FYI. Aldi are selling brilliant smart lights this Saturday…

https://www.aldi.com.au/en/special-buys/special-buys-sat-3-august/

Though they might already have the updated tuya firmware which blocks OTA

Why can’t tuya learn from itead and let us flash the bloody things with ease!

@1972rx2 do you have any tips for me? I’m starting to wonder if the downlights I bought are not able to be flashed OTA…

That’s what I posted about a few days ago. Tempted to buy the garden spotlights and hope they can be flashed…

I got some Brilliant plugs from Officeworks that were blocked, doing to same thing you are describing. Getting part way through and doing nothing else.

You’ll need to take the diffuser off the front and gain access to the circuit board and solder wires to flash via serial.

Damn you did too.

Well Aldi is great that way with their 60 days return no questions asked. Worth a try :smiley:

good point! I need to buy a serial lead to flash ‘hard-wired’ now anyway for my downlights

Thanks, I’ll order a serial converter and give it a try

Sorry mate, I missed the notification about this! So it hasn’t gotten to the backup stage at all with the scrolling data? If it has then also make sure its going to flash to “USER2”, I always do this to make sure as I have bricked a smart plug before. I didn’t check what firmware they were on before I flashed mine sorry otherwise we could of compared. Might have to go the solder option!

nope.:unamused:

what is this? I have flashed a bunch of Brilliant and Kogan plugs but never heard of this before… something I’m missing?

Its in the TuyaConvert GitHub page instructions and an option in the menu when you go to flash the bin file

Hey Dave.

Wandering if you’ve come across these in the past?

I have them installed in the whole house and they’ve been rock solid.
Apparently they’re dimmable but haven’t tried.

Light
Imgur

Driver

What would be the easiest (HA compliant) way to control them that’s not too heavy on the pocket? Hopefully I can hook up to 8 lights to the same driver that you recommend
Or whatever alternative you can think of

One of the things I can’t figure out is if they’re voltage or PWM dimmable

I already have a hue dimmer switch that I can use through HA