Australia - Electrically Certified Hardware

Not sure why you would bother getting those from China, I buy dimmable 10W LED downlights with colour temperature selecting switch from a local supplier for $8.80 inc GST. In my hand straight away rather than waiting a month for the slow boat…

But, if you want to… The Hue dimmer would likely work, although I have no experience with them and haven’t read any info to confirm.

You could also use an Aeotec Z-Wave dimmer (would need a Z-Wave hub if you don’t already have one) which are about $90 and would be able to run 8 of those LED’s at once.

2 Likes

Yeah I bought them a long time ago (4 years now).

Could you give us a link to the ones you’re talking about?

What I meant originally is how can I integrate them through HA? Do I need to change the driver for each? Or is there a device (like a voltage limited) I can attach in line to dim them?

I’m confused about what can be done to make them smart

To make them integrate with HA you can use the dimmer I referred to above (the manual was linked but here is a seller). Like I said above though, stay away from DHS branded gear, it’s not great, hence it’s cheap. There are many online retailers, I think I linked to a bunch early in this thread.

Places like:
http://www.smarthome.com.au/z-wave.html

http://www.smartliving.com.au/

Obviously I’m referring to z-wave a lot here which isn’t the only option, but it’s a good one. I found found my z-wave network to be rock solid and super fast to respond. Also nice that it’s a mesh network and doesn’t add load to your wifi.

1 Like

That’s great help as always mate, thank you

I had a feeling that I should of bought a Z stick maybe instead of zigbee2mqtt.
That way I would’ve had both in the stick…

The Aeotec Z-stick doesn’t have zigbee, but I think there are others that do have both

So i bought the brilliant outdoor led lights with the pir from aldi this morning. Ive opened it up in hope of flashing tasmota. No dice. I appears the esp is in the pir and there is a blind screw holding the pir together. I dont have a bit small enough to fit. Ill try and fashion something during the week to see if i cant get in there for a look.

Are they using a tuya based app, if so have you tried tuya convert. u maybe lucky and the firmware installed may still allow it?

Sorry I havent wired it up, i wont get a chance till during the week. Ill make up a plug to test on the bench and have a play

It uses its own app from brilliantlighting i think. Not sure if its tuya based

It is Tuya based: https://www.medianet.com.au/releases/175228/

Sweet… I cant do much this weekend, to much alcohol involved to be playing with lights. Ill try and wire it up monday and see how i go

What’s the trick to getting these downlights open?

Sorry I cant help you with that Dave. This brilliantlighting mob seems to have quite a large range of smart products. It would be nice if someone more clever than I could build an integration. That said I guess we would be relying on a 3rd party to control them.

Nah, I was asking @kanga_who who was saying to open up the ZemiSmart downlights to flash them via serial connection

@sparkydave I flexed the outside edge of the downlight surround and bent it back a little, and the diffuser came right out.

The diffuser is only sitting inside the edge by 1-2mm all the way around.

I haven’t gotten around to flashing mine yet, so if you do, I’d love to see pics and the process you follow.

I could not get the ALDI Smart Downlight flashed through tuya-convert or through stock Tuya Integration of HA.
Managed to flash Tasmota through serial and is working with

and HA auto discovery is working with
SetOption19 1

Pin out for flashing

1 Like

By any chance, has anyone bought the Brilliant Garden Lights from Aldi yesterday and has a working ESPHome configuration?

Or is it my turn to be the guinea pig and figure it out? :slight_smile:

Saw these in bunnings today and was wondering if any one sussed them out yet?

I did find this component which claims to work if the lights are controlled by magichome app.
Which these lights do!

Might have to grab one and test!

Edit:
Just got the Neonflex and it works nicely with the component above

Got the ALDI Downlight with ESPHome through Serial flashing

esphome:
  name: kitchen_3
  platform: ESP8266
  board: esp01_1m

wifi:
  ssid: 'xxx'
  password: 'xxx'

# Enable logging
logger:

# Enable Web server
web_server:
  port: 80

# Enable Home Assistant API
api:

ota:
  password: 'xxx'

output:
  - platform: esp8266_pwm
    id: output_warm_white
    pin: GPIO13
  - platform: esp8266_pwm
    id: output_daylight
    pin: GPIO5

light:
  - platform: cwww
    name: "Kitchen Light 3"
    id: light1
    cold_white: output_daylight
    warm_white: output_warm_white
    cold_white_color_temperature: 6500 K
    warm_white_color_temperature: 2700 K

# Ensure the light turns on by default if the physical switch is actuated.
    restore_mode: ALWAYS_ON
1 Like

After making a dodgy screwdriver (cut the tip off and soldered it to a piece of thin steel) I got the Aldi outdoor light open. Should be easy to flash once its open.

1 Like

Please add this to the ESPHome cookbook section! Good to know they sell these