Australia - Electrically Certified Hardware

I have a very congested 6-way wall switch right next to a 4-way switch, just under a noggin, so there are a lot of mains wires in the wall cavity, bundled together so it’s quite rigid. I want to automate most of them with simple on-off switches. It’s going to be hard to stuff it with 7 shelly’s. I could probably do 4 dual output Fibaro or Aeotec modules but would be nice if I could find a quad output switch.

I googled around for a quad switch module, and all I could find was an uncertified zigbee module from Aliexpress

I bought a few of these (single, dual and quad channel) and the dimmer module to try them out thinking that I might just use a couple in this one congested location. They are very well priced, the quad channel being about A$25. They work perfectly and are identified by my ConBeeII zigbee ubs stick and integrate straight into HA.

After a discussion with the other half, I decided that since they are not AU certified I won’t use them. Of course these are CE marked so fine to use in Europe, the only difference I can think of is we have higher in wall temperatures in summer. So my questions are:

• Does anyone know of an AU certified quad output switch like this?
  • What’s actually involved in getting something like this certified?
  • Is there another solution I could use?

I also have on order some Iconic Wiser zigbee mechs which would fit, but they are like $100 ea, and I’ve also read that when you operate the button manually, if the state gets out of sync with the HA front end you have to do two button presses to toggle the switch. This can be fixed with an automation, but hardly ideal.

I haven’t come across any.

Sending one / some to a test lab and paying for the service.

Sound like your best bet is 2 dual switch units. I use Z-Wave for my in-wall stuff so not sure about availability of Zigbee ones.

1 Like

Would the Shelly dual circuits (eg 2PM) work here in a similar fashion? I think the new Shelly Plus range has just received Australian certification too.

There is also an I4 which I haven’t looked at in detail but seems to control 4 circuits.

Yes, they would be fine.

No, these have 4 inputs but no outputs / relays etc. It just gives you the option to control other devices (or pretty much anything you want) via automations. It’s just an input module.

1 Like

For what it’s worth, I just ordered a Clipsal Iconic 2Amp switch and also the dimmer module. The build quality seems excellent, very compact and have a solid dense feel and are well packaged. Subjective yes, but you can see - to some extent - why these modules are so expensive.
Clipsal Iconic 41E2PBSWMZ-VW Zigbee Wiser Push Button 2AX Connected Switch Mechanism
Clipsal Iconic 41EPBDWCLMZ-VW Zigbee Wiser Connected Dimmer with ControlLink

Within Home Assistant, they paired instantly with my ConbeeII zigbee USB stick. The dimmer doesn’t flicker at the lowest setting. Both run very cool to the touch after 30mins on with an LED downlight on each.

Since the switch is the same size as a normal mech, I’ll be able to put 6 of these behind a 6-gang light switch so this will solve (at some expense) the congested switch problem I posted about above.

It would want to be. I’ve seen the prices of those things. Utterly ridiculous.

1 Like

I just an old D-Link smart plug DSP-W118. Does anyone know if these are still supported?

I read on another forum that if these have been turned off via a zigbee command, then you need to double press to turn them back on at the switch. Have you experienced that?

If money wasn’t a concern, what would be the go-to lighting solution in Australia? Is it still CBUS or Dynalite and then connect to HA?

I’m coming from a slightly unreliable setup of 40+ Nue Zigbee switches and moving house so i’m having a re-think.

I also read that @esjaysam, but good news, that is not the case. The switch internal state stays in sync with zigbee commands issued by Home Assistant. And vice versa - manual press of the switch is reflected in HA. Clipsal/Schneider must have done a firmware update and they work as expected now.

1 Like

I would say Z-Wave, but others may disagree. My Z-Wave hear has been great. Super reliable and fast.

CBus is ancient. I wouldn’t waste money on it.

That’s disconcerting. I just put in a Nue dual dimmer and like it so much I was thinking of more.

What co-ordinator are you using?

And what troubles have you had?

I have the first gen and all of them had the faceplate fall off in time here in qld weather conditions. In addition I’ve had to replace about 5 over 3 years which involves electrician costs.

I’ve reached out to Kevin to find out if these problems have been resolved in more recent generations.

I use Hubitat. Connectivity/control hasn’t been an issue generally.

1 Like

Lol. To quote John Clarke and Bryan Dawe, “The front is not supposed to fall off”.

(for non Aussies, https://youtu.be/3m5qxZm_JqM)

2 Likes

Of course John Clarke is Aussie, like pavlova, lamingtons, Phar Lap, Crowded House, Lorde et al

But of course we let you keep Joh Bjelke-Petersen and Russell Crowe.

3 Likes

I was referring to the fact that it originally aired on TV in Australia, so international users might not be aware of it.

And pav was invented in Austria, which is closer in spelling to Australia. :stuck_out_tongue:

“Don’t you worry abbbout that”.

Yes it was a great blow when John Clarke left NZ and I acknowledge he did great work in Australia.

I saw the Fred Dagg show live in a local school hall when I was a kid.

Ever seen “Death in Brunswick” - hilarious comedy with Sam Neill (another Kiwi) playing against type as a deadbeat, with Clarke as an older friend who is dragged into Sam’s misfortunes.

1 Like

Well @esjaysam I withdraw that comment. I switched them into bluetooth mode, did a firmware update from my iphone, and back to zigbee, and now a double press is required. Either that or I didn’t test it properly the first time. That’s bloody fustrating :frowning:

One thing I’ve learnt from years of playing with home automation… If it works and you aren’t chasing some newly released option, don’t update the firmware! People with the Xiaomi Gateway know this all too well.

2 Likes

My friend, your choices now become unlimited, sort of…

Unfortunately; looks like you’ve missed the boat for Tuya Converting devices.

Do you want to sell any of these ?