Australia - Electrically Certified Hardware

Yeah there are no link modules. I’m going to use the existing two way traveller cabling and just put the push buttons in parallel.

Cool, I’d like to hear how that pans out. You could probably do the same with the LED too if you’re opening it up.

how was the zigbee rotary dial is that zigbee 3.0? I know it says neutral free but does it actually have the option to put neutral?

How was the oz smart one? did it work well with local tuya? i heard some issues with turning it off and updating the state or something?

So unfortunately I have taken all of mine out at this point.

They worked well, with the Zigbee version being 3.0 (off memory), but ultimately, the spouse liked the wiser push button mechs better, so I went with them. We have a small house anyway, so the cost wasn’t outrageous.

The only drawbacks to the rotary mechs were:

• They didn’t support transition time.
  • The OzSmartThings modules used a WBR2, which could not be converted to ESPHome at the time.

I actually have 3 of these in the cupboard gathering dust. If you wanted to try them, I’ll happily send them anywhere for 10 bucks each plus postage.

2 Likes

I’ve deployed a bunch of the Mercator Ikuu Zigbee products throughout my home recently and am very happy with the results.

They make drop-in replacements for a standard mech. No neutral wires needed.
You can fit up to 4 mechs on a a standard multi-gang switch plate. If you need more, you can get 5 and 6 gang switch plates.

e.g. Push-button rotary dimmer

Home Assistant integration is via this excellent fork of Local Tuya.
This fork provides support for zigbee sub-devices behind a hub and dual-control via the Tuya Smartlife app and locally via Home Assistant.

1 Like

Thought I’d found the holy grail of top down bottom up cellular blinds for Home Assistant. Norton Shades (who have an Aus distributor) recently released a hub compatible with Homekit so it could most likely use the Homekit Device integration.

Unfortunately it is limited to 15 devices per hub (can have multiple hubs though) and no middle rail control, scenes or groups for third party control. Only via their app.

Why are window covering manufacturers stuck in the dark ages?

There are so many open protocols they could use, mqtt, zigbee, zwave, thread/matter. But noooo it has to be a proprietary RF protocol.

I may still go ahead and just hack ESP32s into their RF remote controls. Easier than reverse engineering the RF protocol.

3 Likes

That’s really interesting. Do you have to have a hub of their brand or can these devices connect directly to a Conbee?

I have a Ikuu rotary dimmer connected via the Sky Connect adaptor. No issues.

Tuya not required

1 Like

Yes, I believe you can connect the Ikuu Zigbee devices to a 3rd party Zigbee controller, e.g. Conbee or Sonoff or SkyConnect, and have these controlled via Home Assistant.

However you will lose Tuya SmartLife app and cloud integration once you do this.

By using the LocalTuya fork I linked above, you can have local control AND cloud control at the same time.

Any Tuya Zigbee Hub should work about the same as another.

Thanks. I prefer not keep it local rather than have cloud connectivity.

1 Like

Using the LocalTuya fork I linked above will give you local connectivity.

Cloud connectivity is only used to simplify the initial setup of a device in HA.
Once it’s been added as a Device, you can fully block access to the cloud.

You can also manually on-board a device if you already know the Device ID and LocalKey.

Or yeah, you can pair the devices with your own 3rd party Zigbee controller and configure everything that way too.

does anyone have any spare clipsal iconic wiser dimmers they want to sell?

Can anyone recommend a Shelly or similar device that I could put on a ducted AC system to measure power consumption please?

Super. The supplier’s description says ‘includes push button’. Does that mean you turn the switch off and on by pushing on it, then adjust brightness by turning? What if the Zigbee hub is offline, does the on/off and brightness still operate manually? Thanks.

Yes, exactly.
Press the dial for on/off.
Rotate the dial (infinite rotation) for dim and bright.
The dimming level is remembered between off/on states.

And yep, the Dimmer works as a normal dumb switch and Dimmer if the hub is unavailable.
And the Tuya devices all work with local control if your internet is offline.

Sounds brilliant, thanks very much for taking the time to respond. I have one more question about a specific application, do you think this would be able to fit in an architrave and is there a wall plate that would go with it?

My pleasure.

If the architrave hollow was deep and wide enough, then it should fit fine, but you’ll probably have to excavate a fair chunk of the timber when replacing a normal Mech.

Obviously, depends on the mounting point.

But yes these will snap into any standard Clipsal, HPM, Deta, Volta, etc wall plates.

These look pretty neat - looks like Oz Smart have rebranded the wifi version for $50.
$77 seems to be about the cheapest I can get Zigbee ones for.

Are you using a Tuya Zigbee hub? All my other Tuya stuff is Wifi, so just trying to wrap my head around how these would communicate with both Tuya Smartlife and HA locally.

I’d probably be happy enough just having them connect directly to my existing HA Zigbee network via the Sonoff stick, and not bother with Tuya Smartlife.

Hey aussie blokes.
I need to fit a new instant gas hot water service in the next few days, is there any recommendations on aussie brands/models that have good ways to monitor or set via Home Assistant ?
So far tonight found only Rheem gets a mention on HA forums.

Just to round this one out. I did return the faulty smart plug along with a completed return form (and referenced my earlier email outlining the issue). As a reminder, it was one of these:

I received the replacement a couple of days ago covered in ants so after a bit of decontamination I installed it yesterday. That took about 5 weeks. Slow, but kudos to them for providing a replacement.

Will have to see how this one goes.

Being Zigbee, it just paired up instantly to my Zigbee network (using a Conbee II stick) and was instantly recognised in Home Assistant. I do like the simplicity of getting it set up.