Australia - Electrically Certified Hardware

and bookmarked for when I want to start deleting batteries from my setup, that is exactly what I was looking for when it comes to options, now all I need to make sure of is the USB brick provides enough power out for each one that I setup at the time so I can keep to AUS plug type.

Personally, this is what I would do if I had the chance to do it.

The app is not required, but it does make the initial onboarding very easy (basically just getting the devices onto your WiFi). Once theyā€™re on your network, HA automatically picks them up, and pretty much everything youā€™d need is configurable through HA (including firmware updates). There are some options that might only be configurable through the app, and I do like having the app as a secondary control interface. Also note that you do NOT have to have the cloud option enabled in order for the app to work on your local network.

nice! yeah will likley do this. and just setup the shelleys there .i am getting all ubiquiti stuff so need to ensure i do it nice and neat :slight_smile:

No I didnā€™t, couldnā€™t find any documentation that supported the sensors supporting anything more than what the batteries are rated for so didnā€™t want to risk it. Plus the case, two NIMH plus the boost converter is about $7 total so it pays itself off in just over 1 set of batteries.

I guess I could paint the battery box if I want it to blend in more, but most stuff itā€™s not worth it. The few Ikea motion sensors I have are sitting on the top of a 2.4m high door frame, on the inside of the room. They arenā€™t really visible in the rooms they are in so of little concern. The remainder are Hue so they are already AAA.

Other things like buttons, its easy enough to hide the battery box so the battery and small wire is the only visible part.

Thanks for posting - it was definitely quite the team effort with multiple people unfortunately needing to buy the (overpriced and useless) Wiser hubs. Most of the common Wiser hardware now has updates to the most recent firmware available as of March 2024 in development Zigbee2MQTT.

Just be warned that the update might take a few tries (as it does with the TuYa/wiser-branded hub.

Iā€™ve written an update on how we managed to do it - How to Update Clipsal Wiser - Zigbee - Without the Hub - just in case anyone else needs to obtain an update for a device.

5 Likes

Lifepo4 batteries are 3.2v and rechargeable.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/solar-magic-lithium-14500-3-2v-rechargeable-battery-2-pack_p4351891

https://www.jaycar.com.au/18650-lifepo4-battery-1600mah-3-2v/p/SB2307

AU$6.01 64%OFF | 10Pcs 18650 Battery Holder
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mLQ2jR0

1 Like

The upside with LiFePO4 is the voltage-discharge curve is very flat between 5% and 95% state of charge.

The downside of this is voltage as a proxy for battery state of charge is not valid. Without a shunt measuring energy in/out you will really only know when the battery is fully charged or all but fully discharged.

As with all lithium chemistry, itā€™s really important to use a charger specific for that chemistry, or at least a fixed voltage controllable power supply. Very easy to destroy them with too high a voltage.

With LiFePO4 itā€™ll just kill the battery, might release some nasty chemicals. Max 3.65 V (and 3.45 V will be plenty as a charge voltage, thatā€™ll get a cell to ~98%).

With NMC the risk is fire/explosion. I would avoid this chemistry unless you have a way to safely charge them. Commercial units typically have in-built BMS with protections for over charge/discharge. When using raw cells take great care.

With discharge you need a way to cut the circuit once voltages drops below a safe level for the battery as further discharge will damage the cell.

1 Like

Iā€™ve been happy with my LittoKala charger so far. Seems to do what it says on the tin.

Liitokala Lii-500 Lii-402 Lii-202
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mLOvjOW

I thought Lifepo4 was more forgiving in this regard, but have done limited reading on the topic.

Iā€™ve been using a few of these for 18+ months and have never missed a beat and have worked great on rechargeable AAA if you decide to not go the hardwired route.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005863615171.html

LiFePO4 are forgiving of being discharged to manufacturerā€™s 0% state of charge (defined as the capacity in the range 2.5 V to 3.65 V) but that is not the absolute lowest voltage the cell can be discharged to.

Once you allow it to go below 2.5 V then there is a strong likelihood of permanent cell damage. They will keep going if you let them, hence having a battery protection system to prevent further discharge.

Best to keep it no lower than 3.0 V, thatā€™s like at 1-2% SOC anyway. The charge and discharge curves are very flat in the normal operating range, but at each end (fully charged and fully discharged) the voltage changes rapidly and a battery protection system is needed as you can go from OK to bad news pretty quickly.

Chart from here:

Note:
How little charge the cell has if only charged to 3.3 V (or less)
How much more charge the cell has if charged to 3.4 V
How very little extra capacity there is if charged higher than 3.4 V (donā€™t charge to 4.2 V!)
How steep the drop off if once you reach 3.0 V.

1 Like

To save cluttering up this topic I am detailing my blind control progress here:

Hi, I wonder if you may be able to give a little more detail on how to use the tuya-cli and where the configuration.yaml file you mentioned is located assuming this is not the main configuration.yaml in the /homeassistant folder.

Hey folks! I just got my first EV. Currently just running off the 10A socket in my garage, but wanting to get an electrician out to do a bunch of work, so looking at getting a 15A socket installed on a separate circuit. I do not need a dedicated wall charger as my PV array is only 5kW and I work from home so have little use for fast charging - would just be nice to get more than the 8A I can currently safely pull.

Has anyone had any success with a device that has power monitoring and a relay that is strong enough to break 15A current? It seems the general consensus is to get the Shelley EM and use the contractor control to control another relay/breaker. Is this what I should be looking to do?

Secondly, I would love to replace my dumb Fluro light in the garage with a smart light. I donā€™t know of many/any reliable drop in tube replacements, but am not against replacing the entire assembly. If that were the case, what would be the recommendation for lights strong enough for the larger space of a garage? Or does anyone know of any reliable tube replacements?

Legally the 15A does need to be on itā€™s own circuit, so that is correct.

Either that or one of these if you are already into Z-Wave.

Iā€™d go with replacing it with a normal dumb LED light(s) and install a smart switch instead.

3 Likes

Great tips thanks! The Aeotec looks good, however Iā€™m purely WiFi/Zigbee so may have to go with the Shelley + a separate relay.

Just get a z-wave stick like the Zooz 800 Series Z-Wave Long Range S2 Stick (ZST39 LR) so that you have options to integrate devices that are not wifi/zigbee avaliable.

Most of these small/compact smart switching devices are not really rated for handling the switching of higher currents nor the higher sustained current. Many of them might say they are rated at ā€œ16Aā€ but in reality thatā€™s for short duration peak load, not sustained and not for regular switching at that full load.

So yes, get a decent contactor properly rated for the job, controlled by a smart switch of your choice - the Shelly is perfectly fine for that job but there are others.

Itā€™s a requirement to have a dedicated circuit for a 15 A power outlet in any case.

Pretty sure the 40A rated Aeotec would be good for 16A thoughā€¦(Itā€™s a much more compact solution too)

Iā€™ve had great success with Aeotec over the years. Some of my Aeotec devices are a good 7+ years old.

Definitely, thatā€™s an exception though when you consider the smart switches people generally consider.

If going to the trouble to install a new circuit in the MCB and run a new cable to the garage and then add one of those switches and the hub, I reckon you may as well put in a 32 A circuit and cable.

With some help I just managed to integrate my EV with Home Assistant. So I could control charging that way:

I wonā€™t be as I already use an OCPP EVSE and that controls charging based on various control options be it from solar PV/avoiding grid imports, or taking advantage of free tariff periods.

EDIT: Added a better image of MG4 charge controls in Home Assistant

1 Like

Is there something similar that is wifi-based? I dont use Z wave at all at this point.