Australia - Electrically Certified Hardware

Blah blah blah. All I can see is excuses :slight_smile:

1 Like

Each to their blah blah blah own I guess :slight_smile:

1 Like

Iā€™ve been able to get some Brilliant RGB+W 20699 B22 globes working with Tasmota. I had incorrectly assumed these would be the same as the 20741 E27 globes, but they are different; using an SM16716 LED controller instead of separate PWM channels for the RGB leds. I had to sacrifice a globe to figure out the pin assignment though. Iā€™ve put some more details here, which will hopefully be useful for someone: https://newadventuresinwi-fi.blogspot.com/2019/11/brilliant-wifi-a60-globes-rgbw-20699.html

4 Likes

Brilliant 200 Watt SMART LED Dimmer Mech
seems the best option in my opinion

A couple of weeks ago, I asked if anyone knew a good way to retrofit a lamp to make it smart.

As fate would have it, a new product due for release shortly fixes exactly that. The Shelly Button (https://shelly.cloud/smart-wifi-home-automation-shelly-button/) is a plastic housing that fits a Shelly 1, and includes a button.

Sounds perfect to me. Iā€™ll let you know how it goes when my shipment arrives.

2 Likes

Only thing with the Shellyā€¦ its not going to be-

Aeotec used to do an inline switch which does exactly the same thing as this Shelly, yet it was Aus certified. Unfortunately they are discontinued.

1 Like

Just put a smart bulb in the lamp and use something like Xiaomi Zigbee button to control the on/off. I use them all around the house for different tasks. They have the advantage of single, double and long clicks to performs different tasks as well.

or a smart plugā€¦ thatā€™s what I use.

Agreed, I do the same. I think his wife wants a physical button to press from what I can tell.

yeahā€¦ canā€™t live with em canā€™t shoot emā€¦ I use Hey Google so never need a physical buttonā€¦ even my wife will (begrudgingly) use that.

1 Like

Yeah. My bad. It wonā€™t be certified. I was just following up on my previous (and on-topic) post.

I have been trying to get the Brilliant Fan Controller to work, and followed your suggestions, @thecubical, so thanks for sharing those. I have compiled the firmware (Tasmota 7.0.0.4) and uploaded using tuya-convert just fine.

With the above configuration however, the fan power and the light are reversed. I have auto-discovery activated in HA, and just with the above, 3 entities appeared - a status sensor which is working fine, a light and a switch. Turning the light on and off did nothing, while turning the switch on and off controlled the light.

I swapped the configuration of dpId 1 and 9:

`{"TuyaMCU":[{"fnId":11,"dpId":1},{"fnId":21,"dpId":10},{"fnId":12,"dpId":9}]}`

Now, the light entity in HA actually controls the light.

Not sure though if this change has any other unwanted side-effects.

I have an LED light connected to the fan, so the dimmer does not really work in this case (i.e. light is not dimmed, but starts blinking when dimmer value is below a certain value), and I added the following

DimmerRange 100,100

Now, I am trying to get the fan speed working, and struggle a bit.

I slightly modified the proposed rules. In Rule1 I changed the MQTT topic to include the device, and I changed ā€œEventā€ to ā€œFanā€. In Rule2 I had to change Power2 to Power1 because in the above I changed the fan control to fnId 11.

Rule1 on TuyaReceived#Data=55AA03070005030400010016 DO Publish2 esp_25_fan_bedroom/stat/Fan/speed 1 endon on TuyaReceived#Data=55AA03070005030400010117 DO Publish2 esp_25_fan_bedroom/stat/Fan/speed 2 endon on TuyaReceived#Data=55AA03070005030400010218 DO Publish2 esp_25_fan_bedroom/stat/Fan/speed 3 endon
Rule1 ON
Rule2 on Fan#1 DO Backlog Power1 1; TuyaSend4 3, 0 endon on Fan#2 DO Backlog Power1 1; TuyaSend4 3, 1 endon on Fan#3 DO Backlog Power1 1; TuyaSend4 3, 2 endon
Rule2 ON

And here is the HA configuration for the fan:

fan:
  - platform: mqtt
    name: "Fan Bedroom"
    availability_topic: "esp_25_fan_bedroom/tele/LWT"
    payload_available: "Online"
    payload_not_available: "Offline"
    state_topic: "esp_25_fan_bedroom/stat/POWER1"
    command_topic: "esp_25_fan_bedroom/cmnd/POWER1"
    payload_on: "ON"
    payload_off: "OFF"
    speed_state_topic: "esp_25_fan_bedroom/stat/Fan/speed"
#    speed_state_topic: "esp_25_fan_bedroom/tele/STATE"
#    speed_value_template: "{{ value_json.Speed }}"
    speed_command_topic: "esp_25_fan_bedroom/cmnd/Fan/speed"
    payload_low_speed: "1"
    payload_medium_speed: "2"
    payload_high_speed: "3"
    qos: 1
    speeds:
      - low
      - medium
      - high

Now, controlling the fan via the supplied remote control works fine. I can see the correct MQTT messages being populated, and the fan entity in HA is updating correctly.

When controlling the fan from HA I can see that the correct MQTT messages are sent (most of the time), and the correct actions in the fan are taken with corresponding MQTT responses.
Example setting speed to ā€œhighā€:

esp_25_fan_bedroom/cmnd/POWER1 ON
esp_25_fan_bedroom/cmnd/Fan/speed 3
esp_25_fan_bedroom/tele/STATE {"Time":"1970-01-01T01:33:09","Uptime":"0T01:33:10","UptimeSec":5590,"Heap":25,"SleepMode":"Dynamic","Sleep":50,"LoadAvg":19,"MqttCount":1,"POWER1":"ON","POWER2":"OFF","Dimmer":100,"Fade":"OFF","Speed":1,"LedTable":"ON","Wifi":{"AP":1,"SSId":"xxxxxxxx","BSSId":"xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx","Channel":11,"RSSI":90,"LinkCount":1,"Downtime":"0T00:00:06"}}
esp_25_fan_bedroom/stat/RESULT {"POWER1":"ON"}
esp_25_fan_bedroom/stat/POWER1 ON
esp_25_fan_bedroom/stat/RESULT {"Speed":3}

However, in multiple occasions one of the speeds (low in one case, high in another) just stopped working. No MQTT message is populated. The HA log shows nothing happening; unfortunately the MQTT Fan does not log anything at all, but even when I manually added log messages, there is no action when changing the speed in the UI (I now owe you a look into my web browser console to see if thereā€™s any error message).

One thing that I suspect is that the speed_state_topic is not working, i.e. HA simply doesnā€™t know what the current value is (except for when using the remote control).

I tried several options:

speed_state_topic: "esp_25_fan_bedroom/tele/STATE"
    speed_value_template: "{{ value_json.Speed }}"

But as you can see, when HA publishes a speed of ā€œ3ā€, the ā€œtele/STATEā€ message payload hasnā€™t updated and contains "Speed":1.

The other thing I tried was modifying Rule2 to not only send the speed value to the MCU, but then publish the speed back onto MQTT, but did not work, i.e. no message was published.

Another thing I thought about was the following, but this doesnā€™t work either properly because there are other payloads published on that same topic, not just the speed.

speed_state_topic: "esp_25_fan_bedroom/stat/RESULT"
    speed_value_template: "{{ value_json.Speed }}"

Does anyone have a working configuration, and could point me into the right direction? This is my first Tasmota device, and I have to admit that it has a steep learning curve when you canā€™t rely on predefined templates. There might the conventions that I am simply not aware of.

Looks like Bunnings have dropped the Brilliant Wifi Plugs. A couple of weeks ago my local store was selling them for $10 so I bought 3 more. Went back today and theyā€™ve disappeared. Nobody seemed to know where theyā€™ve gone. Not on the website anymore either.

Perhaps they were just a promo item?

Oh well - lucky I bought lots of them over the last couple of months. $10 was a great price while it lasted.

They were only ever a limited purchase item, I was told that by a department manager at my local Bunnings a few months back. When each stores allocation ran out, that was it.

I have a feeling the Arlec grid stuff is going the same way, seems they arenā€™t restocking it so far.

Thatā€™s a shame then. Wish Iā€™d known. I seem to be the only one who was buying them at my local. There were at least 50-60 left when I bought the last three. So I donā€™t think itā€™s likely they ran out.

My two closest stores have had low stock on Hue bulbs for a while as well. Time for a trip to Ikea - Iā€™m keen to try some Tradfri.

Thanks Jason.

The other good plugs to get are the Kogan power monitoring plugs, get the 4 pack for $65, sometimes $60 on sale.

Easily flashed with Tuya convert.

Of course - that slipped my mind. Iā€™ve been meaning to order some since they were mentioned in this thread. Didnā€™t realise they were still $65.

Thanks again.

Out of the 19 Kogan power monitoring smart switches Iā€™ve programmed I had one that refused to flash ota with Tuya convert .

Fortunately the two tri-wing ā€˜securityā€™ screws holding the case together are easily removed with a small slotted screwdriver. Then the case pries apart from the two plastic clips each end with a bit of force. The ESP board is labelled clearly and flashing with a serial cable worked first go.

Compared to the sonoff S26 (that has no power monitoring) the Kogan switches have vastly better wifi reception.

1 Like

I would have binned the thing, for the price, you can afford to throw 1 or 2 out of 19 if they want to be difficult.

1 Like

The thought never crossed my mind. Pig-headed I guess.

1 Like