Australia - Electrically Certified Hardware

I just seem to have bricked a Brilliant Garden Light controller… When I did the Tuya-convert process (v2 of the script before the latest with the menu etc.) I accidentally typed in the name of the .bin file incorrectly and now the device won’t show up at all. Not on my network and power cycling it won’t get it to pairing mode. The LED on the controller doesn’t even turn on… Is there anything I can do to bring it back to life?

There is a trouble-shooting section Troubleshooting · ct-Open-Source/tuya-convert Wiki · GitHub → “Device appears bricked”.

This is normal for mine after I flashed ESPHome on them. The LED only turns on when the lights are on.

I did look through all the troubleshooting but that specific section didn’t make a lot of sense… where am I looking for sonoff***? There is no wifi AP being created or anything like that

This is true for my working ones as well however this particular one didn’t get flashed at all because I mistyped the *.bin file. As far as I can tell, nothing got flashed to it yet it isn’t acting like a standard controller either.

I would have expected an AP to appear with any of those names (or something similar that is not your neighbour’s Wifi) which you should see in any Wifi enabled device like mobile phone or laptop.

My understanding from what you have said above, you started up tuya-convert, the light controller connected, the intermediate firmware was applied, and then you accidentally used a wrong (non-existing?) filename when trying to flash your own custom firmware like http://10.42.42.42/flash?url=http://10.42.42.1/files/DOES-NOT-EXIST. Correct?

I just had a brief look at the source code of the intermediate firmware, and it appears that it does check the HTTP status code when trying to access the provided URL to the custom firmware. If the status code is not OK which it shouldn’t be if that file does not exist, then the process would just fail without upgrading any firmware, and you should see an entry on the console like Flashing <url> failed after X s, HTTP 404.

Also, what the intermediate firmware does when starting the ESP is:

1. Try to connect to SSID “vtrust-flash” (the one created by tuya-convert).
  2. Try again 100 times and wait 200ms after each try, i.e. this can take up to 20 seconds.
  3. Establish its own AP with SSID “vtrust-recovery”.

Thats right, I missed out a letter in the *.bin file. I recall seeing an error though, it simply did the usual ‘device will flash and reboot’ or whatever it says.

I have tried getting the device to connect to vtrust but it doesn’t happen:

It just ends up timing out. The log files don’t give any further useful info

Been playing with one today. I have been able to flash it just trying to set up the Configure tab for the buttons and relays. Has anyone else had any luck?

Yeah mate, config is already uploaded to the Blakadder Wiki HERE

Sure, I’ve put some more photos in here: Brilliant Smart Elite Glass Wall Switches

2 Likes

I also have a look at them the other day… touch sensitive, but not flat like some (e.g. Sonoff). These have a little “hollow” at the switches (easier to find in the dark :slight_smile:).

Looks encouraging… Harvey Norman seem to finally have this in-store now…

I might try to pick one up for testing (once I’ve confirmed I have neutral wires).

1 Like

Has anyone seen these yet, or purchased and flashed?

EDIT:

Funnily enough, Harvey Norman also have them. Looks to be the same plug.

1 Like

Those prices are very reasonable, keen to hear how you get on with them. I assume they will use the same template as the Zemismart.

Tasmota template for it:

{"NAME":"Kogan Kettle","GPIO":[255,148,255,108,255,255,255,255,255,255,255,255,255],"FLAG":15,"BASE":54}
3 Likes

Works perfectly with new tuyaMCU in tasmota, before i had hacky setup using tuya control in nodered,
also flashed it onto 2 kogan smart diffusers

My sparky brother-in-law is coming out Tuesday to do some work… I’m getting him to check for neutral wires then, and if I’m good to go will prob pick up a single-gang as a test install.

Fingers-crossed, same template as the Zemismart.

I stand corrected. :crazy_face:

I looks much thinner, allowing you to have 2 side by side on one power point.

The current ones don’t fit side by side.

1 Like

Hi guys. Can I get some recommendations of smart powerboards that are aussie certified that work with HA? I currently am using a broadlink mp1 which has been working well but would like to move to something that doesn’t need plugging in upside down or toothpick hacks.

I also just purchased some kogan plugs for flashing OTA but they are the older ones (should have gotten the new ones it seems) in an effort to move away from my xiaomi smart plugs.

Just look back through the thread. There is comments and config for a number of powerboard options from Arlec, Brilliant etc.

Is there a wiki / sticky of the equipment and status of ingratiation for HA on here??

I am trying to figure which configuration of things i would like to bring into HA.
At the moment i have a wish wash of gear. Lights / switchs / fans etc.

See this post above