Australia - Electrically Certified Hardware

For those of you who are interested in Australian Certified Hardware where there is no changing to custom firmware, ie. really maintaining the rtm tick as well as the electrical certification.

The Power Plugs and Door/Window Sensors from Telstra Smart Home equipment is now supported by Conbee/Deconz for HA. Yes that’s right Zigbee :slight_smile:

I have left all my switches stock standard and changed out all my lights to zigbee lights. Much happier, no custom firmware. No problems with no Neutral wire.

Hi @BigCCampbell

The only parts you should need to edit for your own setup are the substitutions and WiFi details, you will also need to calibrate each plug for accurate readings which involves changing the current_res and voltage_div numbers.

Hi Brad

Thanks for the quick response and clarification. I’m sure that one of my attempts yesterday was just that, it’s what I assumed going in but the problems I faced had me second guessing everything. It’s frustrating but I gotta make it happen. Thanks again.

Hi @lewisbenge, can you control the fan and light successfully through the Tasmota WebUI?

How did you go

done… finally :see_no_evil: #104

1 Like

Has anybody had any issues regarding esphome flashed devices and their router refusing it’s connection?

Or any issues with home assistant / esphome and the nbn provided routers in general?

Maybe it’s time to upgrade.

Unfortunately not. The unit worked fine when installed, then I flashed using TuyaConvert and so far I’ve not been able to get it working beyond just the remote. As I mentioned in the console it looks like it’s trying to send the heartbeat but not receiving anything back.

Not really sure where I would have gone wrong as I followed both tutorials online.

How do you know it’s the router refusing connection?
I have the big white Telstra NBN modem and my ESPHomes run ok.

just thought id say that i picked these up yesterday to replace some old Venetian blinds in my office. really impressed so far for the price. easy to install and set up and the motor is surprisingly fast and quiet.

integrated into HA by learning the RF codes and broadlink pro. didn’t buy the additional arlec controller.

2 Likes

I’m really new to this, I don’t know anything for sure, it’s just my latest theory.

The router log is giving me this error repeatedly: A device failed to connect to SSID (D8:F1:5B:91:CA:F3) because it provided incorrect login information.

Even after connecting to the fallback ap and setting the log in details again it still won’t connect. Yesterday I believed it to be code related. After clarification from Brad and further attempts I don’t think that is the case anymore.

For some reason it’s refusing the log in. No idea why, never had any issues connecting to it before now.

Check and double check

1. you put the right credentials in the esphome .yaml file
  2. That your AP has 2.4 GHz enabled.

I just checked again, no doubt they are the correct details and i’m only running 2.4 GHz.

Is it something silly like you’ve got the 5GHz credentials saved in the config, but the ESPHome devices are connecting to 2.4GHz?

Those Telstra modems also have band steering, where they combine the 2.4 and 5Gz networks into 1 SSID. making it look like only one network to you and your devices. Try and go into the router setup and disable band steering, such that you have a definitive 2.4 and 5GHz networks. Then make sure you’ve got the right credentials for the 2.4GHz netwrok in the ESPHome devices (They dont work with 5GHz)

I’ve got 5GHz disabled. So can’t be mix up on credentials. Hadn’t heard of band steering before, is it safe to assume with just 2.4GHz active this wouldn’t apply?

If 5GHz is completely disabled, then yes, I’d assume the same.
Are you using a secrets file?
Can you post your esphome device config?

Hadn’t set up the secrets file yet, i’ll just censor the private parts.

This is the code I tried on the last attempt which was a Kogan plug without the usbs:

esphome:
  name: kogan_plug_1
  platform: ESP8266
  board: esp01_1m

wifi:
  ssid: "SSID"
  password: "PASSWORD"
  manual_ip:
    # Set this to the IP of the ESP
    static_ip: 10.0.0.42
    # Set this to the IP address of the router. Often ends with .1
    gateway: 10.0.0.138
    # The subnet of the network. 255.255.255.0 works for most home networks.
    subnet: 255.255.255.0
  # Enable fallback hotspot (captive portal) in case wifi connection fails
  ap:
    ssid: "Kogan Plug 1 Fallback Hotspot"
    password: "PASSWORD"

captive_portal:

# Enable logging
logger:

# Enable Home Assistant API
api:
  password: PASSWORD

ota:
  password: PASSWORD

binary_sensor:
  - platform: gpio
    pin:
      number: GPIO0
      mode: INPUT_PULLUP
      inverted: true
    name: "Kogan Plug 1 Power Button"
    on_press:
      - switch.toggle: relay

- platform: status
    name: "Kogan Plug 1 Status"

switch:
    id: green_led
    pin:
      number: GPIO13
    restore_mode: ALWAYS_OFF

name: "Kogan Plug 1"
    pin: GPIO14
    id: relay
    icon: mdi:television
    restore_mode: ALWAYS_OFF

sensor:
  - platform: hlw8012
    sel_pin:
      number: GPIO12
    cf_pin: GPIO04
    cf1_pin: GPIO05
    current:
      name: "Kogan Plug 1 Current"
      unit_of_measurement: A
    voltage:
      name: "Kogan Plug 1 Voltage"
      unit_of_measurement: V
    power:
      id: kogan_plug_1_wattage
      name: "Kogan Plug 1 Power"
      unit_of_measurement: W
    current_resistor: "0.00087"   ### HIGHER VALUE GIVES LOWER WATTAGE
    voltage_divider: "2030"   ### LOWER VALUE GIVES LOWER VOLTAGE
    change_mode_every: 8
    update_interval: 5s

- platform: total_daily_energy
    name: "Kogan Plug 1 Daily Energy"
    power_id: kogan_plug_1_wattage
    filters:
      - multiply: 0.001
    unit_of_measurement: kWh

time:
  - platform: homeassistant
    id: homeassistant_time

I’ve tried with and without the static ip section.

Are you sure this address isn’t allocated to another machine, or your dhcp pool?

Do you get the access point after it fails?

Wrong board type. Should be esp8285.

2 Likes