🚿 Bathroom Humidity Exhaust Fan

Hi Blacky,
Same here, I tested it all last night and worked like a well oiled machine!!. Much appreciated for your kindness sharing all this with the HA community!
I did a bit of analysis for my own understanding, and came up with this fwiw:

Thank you for this, sadly I got an error while importing the blue print. All I needed was the idea of the derivative anyway. So I got a simplified version running now (just turning up the ventilation and lowering it back down). I have a heat recovery system in house, so I’m going to do some stuff with multiple sensors. My idea was to use some helpers which will say high humidity, or high CO2 and if anyone of them is high the ventilation will change. Maybe even add people are home or not in the future. Could save significant amounts of energy.

Anyway, Thanks for this! Its a really nice showcase.

Manual Switch seems to be working ok for me as well.

I’m running on at 1.5% and off at -2.5% seems to be working quite well at the moment.

The fun will start in winter :smiley:

@lonedutchman

You need to be on the latest version of HA.

For all the rest, I don’t know why you are posting it here. Please stay on topic as this post is for this blueprint. If you would like talk to others about what you are doing then please create another topic.

Blacky :smiley:

@vicusj

Nice one 2 out of 3, we are going well so far :crossed_fingers:

Your welcome, and thanks for your kind words.

It is a whole lot of fun once you get into it. Good to see your getting the hang of it and thanks for sharing your graph.

1 Like

@GTunney

3 out of 3 :partying_face: YES! :facepunch:

Nice one glad it is all working for you.

You do have another winter mode but the next release will help in the winter months as they can be tricky. It is all done and ready to go, just doing final UI checks.

1 Like

New update 2.5

New Feature :new:

• Manual Trigger - This feature allows you to manually trigger the automation. It replaces the humidity derivative settings in either ‘Default - Summer Mode’ or ‘Winter Mode,’ configurations. Turning it ON initiates the automation process, and turning it OFF starts the time delay. Note that auto triggers can and will override the manual trigger option if triggered.

This feature can operate with or without a humidity sensor, which is particularly useful if the humidity sensor malfunctions, allowing time for repairs and reducing stress levels. Additionally, it can initiate the fan to turn ON before a shower, aiding in humidity removal before the auto triggers take over. It is designed with good spouse approval in mind.

Maintenance :toolbox:

• Update deprecated code for light control in kelvin.

Bugs Fixed :bug:

• Fixed bypass - It would turn fan OFF if bypass was disabled but bypass entity was entered in and you turned bypass entity OFF.
  • Fixed HA restart when using manual switch. It will now wait for the set time delay when HA restarts.

If you like this blueprint? Consider hitting the :heart: button in the top post :+1:

If you like my blueprints, and would like to show your support or just say thank you? Click Here :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Enjoy

Blacky :grinning:

1 Like

Looking great! I upgraded to this version, most of the old settings carried over no problem, and everything is working fine for me, thanks Blacky!

1 Like

There is a new hydrostat integration that is in the new 2024.7 beta. If you use the HACS one it will need to be removed to use the new one.

Hey Blacky, thanks for another great update to this blueprint!

Regarding the manual trigger, what type of entities are allowed here? I’m hoping to use a small wireless battery-operated smart button (Aqara) which exposes single click, double click and hold actions. Id like to use the single click as the manual trigger for this automation - as the turn on and then as the turn off, to trigger the delay. Would that be possible? Does the manual trigger entitiy have to be a switch entity? Thanks!

Hey guys, I’m trying to build another automation to turn off the fan (for when someone goes to toilet). I want this new automation to check if this blueprint automation is running and needs to stay on, as condition.

How can I do that?

Why not just leave the fan on and let the automations over run and timer handle turning the fan off?

1 Like

Because say the fan is already on due to this blueprint, when I want to set another automation to turn the fan off after 15 mins (in case it’s on because of a toilet visit). What’s stopping the other automation from turning off the fan before the humidity reaches below threshold?
I don’t know if I’m making sense, I’m really sleep deprived lol

Anyway this is what I did, just added a condition to the derivatives sensor. This is party of a bigger automation

alias: Ensuite Light/Fan
description: ""
trigger:
trigger:
  - entity_id:
      - fan.ensuite_fan
    for:
      hours: 0
      minutes: 15
      seconds: 0
    platform: state
    to: "on"
    enabled: true
    id: Fan on
action:
if:
  - condition: trigger
    id: Fan on
  - condition: and
    conditions:
      - condition: template
        value_template: "{{ states('sensor.ensuite_humidity_derivative') | float < 0.5 }}"
then:
  - data: {}
    service: light.turn_off
    target:
      entity_id:
        - light.bathroom_main_fan
enabled: true

But the blueprint isn’t turning the fan on for a toilet visit unless you are using a manual switch which you haven’t stated. If you are using a manual switch then there is no need to have another automation turn the fan off. Just use the manual switch to turn on and then the blueprint time delay or safeguard to turn it off.

You could decouple the fan. Have the blueprint and the humidity automation be inputs to another automation(or template, or whatever you like) that basically ‘or’ s the 2 pieces of information and actually controls fan on / off.

Sorry, I’m a little confused. The reason why I made the additional automation was:

If someone goes to the toilet, they’ll be turning the fan on manually. So I wanted it to be switched off after certain amount of time.

That same automation conflicts with this blueprint. When the blueprint turns the fan on, the additional automation will switch it off after certain amount of time.

That’s why I out that condition in there

Look at a few posts further up Blacky listed steps about creating a manual switch sensor for the fan.

Allowing users to turn the fan on with a manual switch and then allow the automation to turn the fan off regardless of humidity after X time.

@Scoff

Manual trigger can be anything with an ON OFF state or a binary sensor.

@RKor

There are a few ways to do this. All denpends what you are after. You dont need to create an automation but you can if you like. I do have another blueprint for the toilet and it is designed to work with this blueprint. Below are some options for you.

Option 1 - Manual Fan Switch

You can manually turn the fan ON and OFF but still allow for the automation to take control. First we need to look at your switch. If your switch is independent and not connected to control the fan then you can just add that switch into the “Manual Fan Switch”. If you switch controls the fan then you need to create a trigger-based template binary sensor and then use that trigger-based template binary sensor in the “Manual Fan Switch”. To do this I have a step by step guide in the FAQ click Here. You can also take advantage of the ‘Manual Fan Switch Auto OFF - Time Delay’ by selecting option 2 and setting your time delay. Then when you turn it ON it will automatically turn OFF in your set time delay :wink:

Option 2 - :toilet: Toilet Exhaust Fan with time delay blueprint.

The Toilet Exhaust Blueprint will allow you to turn the fan ON and OFF automatically. It links with this blueprint giving bathroom humidity BP priority. The Toilet Exhaust BP has a lot of features. Assuming your toilet is in the bathroom you will need to consider what will be the trigger for the toilet exhaust BP. You could use a distance sensor so when you are sitting on the seat it knows you are there or what ever works for you. I then have a FAQ step by step guide on how to link the 2 blueprints, click here.

It is really up to you on what you would like to do but ether way you don’t have to create any automations if you don’t want to just use my BP.

Hope this helps you.

1 Like

Definitely helps, thanks very much for your work and taking the time to explain it all in detail. Much appreciated