Blink Integration support for Mini Cameras

Thanks for the work you’ve done on integrating the Mini cameras, however I’m having the following issues and just thought I’d let you know;

• image not updating (when using picture entity card) - if I create a manual snapshot in the Blink app I’m not seeing the image update in HA (there may be some extra config I need to do, or use a different card)
  • As @lacow has already pointed out, the alarm_control_panel.blink_camera… is always showing armed_away, also the binary_sensor.blink_camera_1_camera_armed state is always on, regardless of the state shown in the Blink app.
  • not getting any updates to the binary_sensor.blink_camera_1_motion_detected sensor. I’ve set up an IFTTT webhook to trigger on motion events from the camera and I get these through.

Again, thanks for work you’ve done. I’ve only picked up a Mini to see what I can do with it so its not actually performing a purpose in my house.

2 Likes

@lacow @ajcooper72 - yeah looks like I’m seeing the same behavior. I’ll have to dig in to see if it’s a bug with the code or if I’m hitting the wrong endpoint.

4 Likes

The same here. The image I save to my server also seems to stay the same one over and over again. But thanks again for the effort, nice to see some progress for this.

HI guys, that owns Blink Mini - i am asking for your help!

Thinking to buy some of this cams.
What do u thing in common about them and intergration in HA?

Could u please explain a little about mini https://www.amazon.de/wir-prasentieren-blink-mini-eine-kompakte-intelligente-plug-in-uberwachungskamera-fur-den-innenbereich-mit-1080p-hd-video-und-bewegungserkennung-die-mit-alexa-funktioniert/dp/B07X37DT9M/ref=sr_1_2?__mk_de_DE=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&dchild=1&keywords=blink&qid=1601216331&sr=8-2

Some simple questions:
1 Can it stream to HA App? RSTP or other?
2 Can it save video when motion detected? As i understood it can, but please confirm it.
3 Do i get the motion detection sensor working now? Or as ajcooper72 mentioned it do not work till now?

Thanks a lot!

@thisIO

1. Dont think so
  2. You should, but at least for me most features do not work atm.
  3. No still not working (for me)

The only things I got to work:

1. The still image is updatet every time I restart home assistant
  2. I can arm and disarm the motion detection via the ha service, but not see if its armed

So far blink minis are pretty much unusable, but I hope this gets fixed.

I also have the same experience.

I grabbed one whilst they were on offer for Prime day.
Pretty much useless in HA.
Would be great to see it working

1 Like

It will be great to have those mini cameras supported. As said, very few things are supported with the Blink integration.

1. I can arm and disarm the motion detection via the ha service, but not see if its armed

I can see if it’s armed but what I didn’t managed to do is to deactivate motion detection for single camera, while the others are still ‘armed’. This makes it useless to me.

I’m looking for other services now which may integrate it better.

I can arm, disarm both XT2 cameras as well as see status (although slow to update due to the limit on the API). Not able to control the internal camera though, which is a known issue.

https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/gr6jCGWZbt/

Thanks for the snippet. This works but still the integration could be much better. :wink:

And that is why we all put our time into it, thanks for volunteering :slight_smile:

Feel free to contribute improvements to the core library: https://github.com/fronzbot/blinkpy

I am only one guy who does this in his free time and does not write software as a career so if you have ideas on how to implement any improvements, your contributions (or anyone elses!) are more than welcome.

4 Likes

Hi, it was not meant as critic on the integration, but I will try to find some time to improve it. So my skills in python are not that good, we’ll see if I can contribute something.

I believe it is a known issue with the Mini cameras and the integration.

I’m in a similar position of wanting to only arm the internal cameras as I go to bed and not at a set time like the external ones.

I believe it’s on @fronzbot 's radar but these things take time and effort.

1 Like

Yeah mini cameras can’t be armed or disarmed yet, unfortunately. The API endpoint just isn’t known. So when you click “arm” or “disarm” for the mini camera, nothing happening is correct behavior.

1 Like

Just to be sure I am on the same page, this doesn’t only pertain to the Alarm Panel that it creates, this also means I couldn’t just make a lovelace button that sends the signal either, correct? I don’t mind it not showing the status, just need the ability to send the command. I haven’t played around with trying to make a button with the one that works yet.

Interesting update: One of my Minis now has switched from always showing “armed” to showing “disarm” though it didn’t really fix it, I didn’t know if this change in the way it behaves could help.
Best of luck and thank you for all your hard work!

Correct, unfortunately.

1 Like

I just bought one of the mini’s and I am trying to see how much HA can do with it right now. The interaction with the Blink Mini is indeed very minimal. However, I do notice that the alarm_control_panel.alarm_disarm and alarm_control_panel.alarm_arm_away ARE actually working for the mini. So after executing the services you do see those changes in the Blink app immediately and the camera is fully functional.

So basically you would be able to control the Mini’s via HA. However, there is no feedback to HA itself, so HA doesn’t know if the system is armed or not, which is a huge drawback. Also the motion detector sensor is poorly working. So in order to know in HA itself if the system is triggered and recording seems to be difficult right now.

Las and I am not (yet) able to stream directly the video.

@Svenvb You can arm them with the whole system but not independently. The other Blink cameras can be armed and disarmed individually. This is a shame as I’d like my internal cameras on a different timer. e.g. I don’t want the camera on in the study after 11pm when I’m still up but I do want the outside cameras armed. I think you could set them up in a second “house” but that’s a faff.

But can you do something with the Mini? I have 3 and I can’t do anything at all from Home Assistant :frowning: