Broadlink RM4C mini configuration

Hi,

I’ve the Broadlink RM4C mini device fully operating with Broadlink app.
I’ve added the Broadlink device, and had to unlock the device (factory reset, connect to local LAN and quit), and everything worked fine. I was able to read and send commands.

Is the configuration with HA is broken when I finish the app installation? If so, it means that I can only work with it either through Broadlink app, or through HA?

Thanks in advance,
Z

Yes, that’s right.

Thanks for thr quick reply.
I’ve just noticed that is Broadlink app there is an option to lock or unlock the device. Switching it to unlocked allows the miji to be controlled from both HA and the app at the same time.

1 Like

Oh, interesting! I didn’t know that.

I have a new RM4C which I would like to use with HA. Is is it best to make it work with the Broadlink app first? I have been singularly unsuccessful with that. I have tried following their instructions but have yet to be able to add it as a new device. I also tried to use the RM-Configurator scripts (GitHub - zchumager/RM-Configurator: Python CLI Tool to make RM Mini compatible with Home Assistant (HASSIO) and could not get those to work either (could be that whatever I did trying to get it to work with the app made that harder?). Can any kind person tell me the optimal way to connect the RM4C (step by step) to work with HA? If it works with the app, is HA able to take advantage of the Broadlink IR library or will the remote have to be trained for any devices (Verizon remote, AC, etc.)?

Try the “unlock” now the RM work on both HA and App…. learn new things everyday

No HA wont pulls the IR code from broadlink, you have to enter the codes for each HA command.

There are various places/integration you can use to get these codes from the communities instead of trained every single codes yourself.

I use a plugin call smartIR which serve my purpose.
GitHub - smartHomeHub/SmartIR: Integration for Home Assistant to control climate, TV and fan devices via IR/RF controllers (Broadlink, Xiaomi, MQTT, LOOKin, ESPHome)

@huu Thanks. I will try some more to connect the RM4c to my Wifi but it has not worked so far. What is the proper way to reset it? They talk about holding the reset for 7 seconds or 14 seconds and various blinking light patterns but I have yet to be able to connect to my wifi network.

Follow the broadlink app instructions…

1. connect your phone to a 2.4 WIFI not 5.0
  2. open app…add device, add new device… universal remote… choose the right model
  3. Long press reset on the RM for about 5 sec until it blink blue every 3 sec… now go to your phone setting look for WIFI hotspot of the RM… connect to that and go back to app and continue setting

Broadlink info can be read Broadlink - Home Assistant

As for the device setting you can used broadlink APPS to connect your device into your wifi. However do not complete the setup to the cloud. So once your device connected to your WIFI you just kill the apps and then search your device from HA Integrations.

I used broadlink manager Broadlink Manager - Nicer way to Learn and Send IR/RF commands to get my learning code.

@huu I followed your instrucitons and I get to the point where I connect the iPhone to the RM4C AP and then I get 3 messages in the app
Device is connecting to Wifi “My SSID”
Phone is connecting to Wifi " My SSID"
Phone is connctred to Wifi “My SSID”
and the 4th message which has a spinning icon next to it says:
APP is searching for device AP named “Broadlink_Wifi_Device”
After a minute or so the app sau=ys What’s the Status of LED indicator/device: Still Flashing or Off
If I select Still Flashing (which it is), I get an error message which basically says to do it again and try with Smart Setup rather than AP setup.

look in your wifi list see if the RM is connected to your wifi, once it there. then it is connected

I looked and I saw a device (unknown) with no IP address. After awhile it disappears. I have now done this 10 times with same result.

Yeah the RMC could be “bestcon copy” can be a bit temperamental… at the step after “device connecting to your wifi” and blue light stop flashing stop there. can you check in your wifi if it connected? remember have to be on 2.4 when your are connected to the phone because it uses your phone detail and fill in the RM to connect to the wifi (check your phone sometimes auto connect back to 5.0)

When the “Unknow” device shows up I checked the MAC address and it is the Broadlink but it never shows an IP address and the LED is blinking on/off approx every 2 sec.

My phone is on the 2.4G network.

mine is a bestcon (copy of broadlink) and take me a few goes.

aim is to connect the thing to your wifi first, dont set up anything yet, once it in there we move on to next step

Yes, this is a Bestcon as well. Perhaps this device is defective (doubtful but I don’t know what else to try)

what broadlink app you have? there are 2

I have the one with the Blue B Icon (with 871 reviews)