Buy a ready2use zigbee2mqtt stick - flashed, antenna mod and printed case

I got the offer from @h4nc and it seems like a very nice deal.

I just want to make sure, that this usb dongle is all I need to get started. Its a bit confusing reading at the zigbeemqtt site that I need all of these things: https://www.zigbee2mqtt.io/getting_started/what_do_i_need.html

If I ever needed to upgrade firmware on the stick, can it be done through any linux machine, or is it done through one of them cables and raspberry pi connectors?

Nearly all non battery powered devices will work as router. However due to the external antenna of the modded CC2531 the range should be better than most other routers (like bulbs).

Yes, the coordinator is all you need to start (and of course something like a raspi running your home automation system), but as I mentioned in my first post of this thread, it’s always good to have a CC Debugger in case you want to flash a new firmware or something fails. However as mentioned in the first post too, flashing is also possible without the debugger, but I don’t have experience with that.

@sliddjur general questions blow up this thread. So for those kind of questions this thread might be a better choice.
So please let’s continue via pm.

1 Like

I’ve been reading this whole treat.
All nice developments :wink:

I am new to zigbee (using z-wave voor more then 8 years) but looking into the smart windows blinds of IKEA.

I have a question and that is:
Is this device, the zigbee2mqtt stick the best way to go when i want to control zigbee divices directly from HA?
Or should i buy some other device for that?

Thank you.

Hi Hans,

from a fellow Austrian: Your stuff looks exquisite in the pics in this blog! i still work with a ‘naked’ stick, can you pls PM me with pricing/ delivery info for a controlleriflashed stick, incl antenna?
Best, Franz

1 Like

Sorry but I can’t make that decision for you, so you might have to dig in to find what seems to be the best solution for you. There might be other solutions that do the same as well but as you can see I choose z2m for myself. I like it and of course I recommend it.
You can find a list of the supported devices here.
So if you are interested, you can contact me via pm.

That’s kinda like asking a linux board whether linux or windows is better :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyway, there are many threads about pros and cons of different types, like this one

I for myself have not tried anything else than zigbee2mqtt (well, I had the xiaomi hub before with less than OK performance honestly, and a selfflashed zigbee2mqtt stick as per my review a few posts up), but I am more than happy with it.

I am running everything in docker, and with the autodiscovery, adding devices is as simple as longpressing the button on my sensor/switch/whatever and in a matter of seconds the device is in home assistant.

I also like the z2m networkmap as an added bonus.

In the end, read up on the topic, check some other devices and decide the most suitable for your needs

I made another zigbee device. Mind that this won’t be compatible with zigbee2mqtt, because it’s a different project.

The project is called Zigbee2Tasmota (Z2T) and again I want to mention that all the credits about the software go to the developers.
Again I made a PCB and a case. The device is based on a nodemcu and a CC2530. Of course I will preflash the devices, but if needed it is possible to flash the CC2530 (maybe because of an update) with a CCDebugger or with the Nodemcu itself (you can find how to do that in the attached link above).

I for myself will still stick to zigbee2mqtt, because it works fine and never change a running system :wink:
However I think it is an interesting project and I’d like to see where it goes. Currently not many devices are supported, so for now I would recommend this project for tinkerers only (who are ok with facing issues in a new developing project).
The main benefit compared to the Z2M sticks is that you can place the Z2T (Zigbee2Tasmota) stick where you want because it doesn’t need something like a raspi running z2m to it.

4 Likes

I have some new zigbee sticks and milight hubs available.

@h4nc please PM me with the price for the zigbee2mqtt stick, including postage to Australia. (new user, can’t PM)

1 Like

I have some premade sticks available again.

Digiblur made an interest video on the project, but whilst reading another thread I realised that you can use this same setup you’ve produced here with z2m.

Difference is the esp8266 bridge runs on ESPEasy but the cc2530 runs normal z2m.

this seems like a perfect solution!

1 Like

I did not see that, thanks for your suggestion! Will definitly give it a try.

However setting this up will probably be a bit harder for users who are new to z2m.

Well if you produce the stick, there’s no difference other than the path to the bridge,
In this new case it’s tcp://ip

In fact I was thinking that instead of using a nodemcu or similar you could use a sonoff basic which already has a power supply.

1 Like

Anyone selling Zigbee 3.0 USB sticks based on the newer CC2538, CC26X2R1, or CC1352P_2 chips?

As far as I know not yet, the closest is in the prototype stage: see https://electrolama.com/projects/zig-a-zig-ah/

1 Like

I will get my hands on the CC2538 and come up with a solution soon. As before I will post new projects in this thread.

sorry for asking a little OT but I can feel it might be pretty related. Do you know any BLE to Mqtt with power plug form factor. I’ve seen such WiFi repeaters. I think device itself with power unit boxed all together into power plug would be very slick.

Maybe OP is able to develop some.

So sharing some feedback. got the esp and 2530+2591 set up per the above link.
It initally worked but then it dropped and no matter what I tried, i just couldnt get it to work.

So I opted for trying the z2m (zigbee 2 tasmota) and it’s working really well. As mentioned I used a sonoff basic, so I have a direct power supply and the 2530+2591 i’d already flashed.

All working really well and best of all it’s portable !!!
Another advantage is that no extra (docker/component) is required. mqtt from the hub to Hass… great

So you mean a BLE to MQTT bridge that you can plug in into your AC power socket, right? Because I don’t understand the “Wifi repeater” part.

OpenMQTTGateway is able to handle BLE and works with MQTT.
However I don’t plan to make DIY AC powered devices, sorry. The main reason is that 230V AC is potentially dangerous and I don’t want to get anyone’s life in danger. But you can always use a USB powered device and use a USB power socket.

You mean this right? I did not have time to try it yet.

You probably meant z2t? I think one of the downsides of z2t currently is that z2m supports way more devices but time will change that.