C By GE (Bluetooth - Native Google Home Support) - Integrate with Hassio?

Hi everyone!

Hope everyone is having a good week. I came into a few C By GE “Smart” bulbs. They work really well with Google Home, but I would really like to try to keep everything in HA. Has anyone tinkered with these bulbs and found a way to use them in Hassio?

Thanks!

I’ll take silence as a bad sign…

You can integrate Google Home and Home Assistant by this Integration

1 Like

I can access my HA things via google home, but my things that are connected via google home are not in HA. Trying to figure out if that is possible or if there is some way to directly connect to the bulbs via Bluetooth…

Bump. The bulbs are accessible via Google home but are not shown to home assistant. Has anyone been able to get them talking?

Another bump. I just got some c by GE smart switches. Looking to control them with HA.

here’s a Google repository for Bluetooth control. Maybe we can build a component building on that?

So I kinda got this to work… Not great but better than not having it at all. As @minsuke mentioned you need to integrate with Google Assistant. I did that and then created a switch that uses commands to do an API call. It looks like this:

- platform: command_line
  switches:
    fan_light:
      command_on: curl -s http://192.168.29.000:5000/command?message=turn%20on%20fan%20light
      command_off: curl -s http://192.168.29.000:5000/command?message=turn%20off%20fan%20light

No idea how to get the actual state of the bulbs, so the switches can get out of sync. The button will “stick” which helps… not an elegant solution at all.

I don’t think I’ll get these again…

@shaikmonster could you describe in more detail how you accomplished this? I’m trying to integrate my C-Reach that has two lightbulbs attached. I have integrated the C by GE account with Google Assistant. What is the device you are sending the commands to in your example? Can you share anymore info?

What I did was setup the free HA integration with Google Assistant API. This basically let’s me send commands just like I was saying “hey Google, turn off the office lights.”. It could be any command that the Google home can understand…except calling routines, that does not seem to work as well.

When you get it working you can test by just sending commands from your browser like:

http://192.168.29.000:5000/command?message=turn on office light

I then just created a switch that sends the command that I want with the code above. Basically it just pretends like I actually said the command to my Google home. It works, but it ain’t elegant.

I bet there are much better ways to get this working… But I am not very good at this yet…

How is the progress of implementing support for C by GE progressing? I am a software engineer, I might be able to help.

I am curious because I have 30 smart switches in my house, I replaced most of the original switches with WEMO, C BY GE 3 Ways, C BY GE 2 ways, some lifx, and a few other random things. I have 12 c by ge switches and 18 c by ge bulbs. I can’t believe I can’t use them in this awesome application! :frowning: :frowning:

2 Likes

From my research it looks like there’s 3 options as of Oct 2020.

1. Get a GE C-Reach and integrate that.
  2. Use https://github.com/google/python-laurel
  3. Integrate Google Assistant and use that to send ‘voice’ commands to google to turn them off.

Someone please correct me if I’m wrong - I just have 3 bulbs I got for free so I’m not too invested fortunately.

Hey, I’d like to share a custom component based on python-laurel.

will this work on a dimmer switch?

I am new to the forum. Not sure if you are asking me. If so, it does not support switch yet since I don’t have a dimmer switch. You might need to analyze the code and adopt to you needs.

What is listening on port 5000? I don’t have anything there. I am running the smart device access from Google but I am assuming that is now different than when you posted this. I just got a C by GE smart plug with a nest mini bundle and I want to see if I can control it in HA.

I found a way! It’s not the most responsive but it works well enough.

Idea: Automation triggers when slider is changed, takes input of the slider and sends command to Google Assist relay to change to x brightness.
Downside: Have to have a seperate button/script to turn lights off or change the color.

1. Follow https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUc6NEEbbeo&t=111s
  2. Setup Helper, numeric, step size 10~, max value 100. (brightness values, adjustable by 10%)
  3. Setup Script
alias: OfficeLightsSlider
sequence:
  - service: rest_command.assistant_relay
    data:
        office lights {{ states('input_number.office') | int }} percent
        brightness
mode: single

1. Setup Automation (changes brightness when the value is changed of the helper)
alias: '[Lights] OfficeLightsChanged'
description: ''
trigger:
  - platform: state
    entity_id: input_number.office
    to: '*'
condition: []
action:
  - service: script.officelightsslider
    data: {}
mode: single

1. Add slider to your dash for the Helper.
  2. Add off script / button to dash.
  3. Add color script/button to dash.
    Profit.

Kinda late but i was able to get Home assistant to use C by GE by using node-red and alexa nodes

Hello! Could you post some instructions for how you got them working with node-red?

I linked the lights to my alexa account and used node-red and node-red-contrib-alexa-remote2

to control them. I also used home assistant node to create an entity.

So Node-red -> fake entity in home asssitant -> calls alexa device using node-red-contrib-alexa-remote2

This is great info, thank you!

I’m trying to figure it all out. My test switch doesn’t show up in home assistant. Any idea why that might be?Screenshot_20210301-155114_Home Assistant|690x310