📆 Calendar Notifications & Actions

yes !!! Thanks a million.
This way it works correctly ( well kind of but at least it sends mail ).
So the problem was that “data” should be formatted differently ? ( I haven’t got those values in the mail BTW).

No problem :partying_face:

Then you would need to put it into your message something like this.

id: '1715029041738'
alias: Notifica rinverdente
description: ''
use_blueprint:
  path: Blackshome/calendar-notifications-and-actions.yaml
  input:
    calendar: calendar.home_calendar
    calendar_trigger: '@rinverdente'
    include_start_action_buttons:
      - enable_start_action_button_1
    include_start_auto_actions:
      - enable_start_action_1
    start_action_1:
      - service: notify.mail
        data:
          title: Ricordarsi rinverdente
          target: [email protected]

Blacky :smiley:

New Update 1.5

Upgrade Features :new:

• Collapsible Sections - Added collapsible sections to the blueprint. This enhancement improves the blueprint user interface by making it cleaner and more organized, allowing sections to be collapsed.

:warning: This feature was introduced in Home Assistant 2024.6, so you must have this version or later for the blueprint to work.

Maintenance :toolbox:

• We have updated input descriptions to better help understand what they do.

If you like this blueprint? Consider hitting the :heart: button in the top post :+1:

If you like my blueprints, and would like to show your support or just say thank you? Click Here :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Enjoy

Blacky :grinning:

1 Like

@Blacky : Thank you so much. Would it be possible to implement the possibility to define a notification channel?

@ajd_ht

Your welcome glad you like it.

My notifications are basic and are designed to be simple to use catering for both IOS and Android. There are so many options you can have in notifications and it is a different setup from IOS to Android. It would be nice if they were all the same. If you are looking for a more advance notification options then I would recommend taking a look at this blueprint, click here. It has so many options including channel. What you do is create the notification script using the blueprint and then in this blueprint you use the custom actions to run the notification script.

Hope this will work for you.

1 Like

This is a long thread, so I may have missed this, but is it possible to have a ‘repeat notification’ option, so that if you don’t confirm the notification in some way, it will ‘nag’ you until you do ?

1 Like

Works like a charm - thank you!

@Rofo

Currently it just sends you 1 final reminder if you are using the action button, setting the “End Notify - Time Delay” with the “End Notify - Action Button Confirmation Option” and the “End Notify - Time Delay Confirmation Message”. If your don’t push a action button within the time delay a confirmation message will be sent and you can add the text you would like in that message. Then the automation is finished with your final reminder.

Will that work? Or are you looking to be ‘nagged’?

@ebasta

Your welcome :smiley:

Hi, thanks a lot for making this blueprint, it’s very comprehensive and can be adjusted to anything!

I have a question: I am using a dedicated calendar for birthdays, how can the notification trigger for any calendar entry? E.g. I don’t put anything in the field or I put * or what’s correct for my use-case?

Thanks again!

@TheS1ngularity

You just simply select your calendar, then below that select the option Don’t use “Key Word” in calendar.

oh, I didn’t have that option in the blueprint version I was using… So blueprints are not automatically updated somehow. I had to re-add the blueprint and I was prompted that it already existed, I selected to override and now I can see what you mean.

I don’t use blueprints much, just this one actually. And I didn’t know they just don’t get updated automatically… Are you aware of this?

@TheS1ngularity

Yes, blueprints are shared by the community. We don’t work for Home Assistant it is all done in your spare time. I use all of these blueprints in my Home assistant and I share it with the community for free so that it may help someone set up their HA. You have to check in and see if there is an updated version and you can do this with my blueprints by looking at the version number. I also post what has changed and if you need to do anything, all the links are in the chaggelog in the top post. The link to this topic is in the blueprint at the top so you can check in easily to see what is going on.

A new Version 1.6 is just about to be release so check it out and update it if you like.

1 Like

FAQ - A Guide to Notification Options on iOS and Android Devices

:apple: iOS ONLY OPTIONS

What are Notification Interruption Levels on iOS?

On devices running iOS 15 and later, you can configure the interruption level for your notifications to ensure they are delivered according to your preferences. This feature allows you to choose how notifications are presented and how they interrupt your activities.

Interruption level Breaks through Focus Overrides Ring/Silent switch on iPhone and iPad
Default No No
Critical Notification Yes Yes
Time Sensitive Notification Yes - Must be enabled in focus No
Quiet notifications without waking screen No No

:robot: ANDROID ONLY OPTIONS

What are High Priority Notifications?

Notifications will appear immediately in most cases. However, in some cases (such as when the phone is stationary or when the screen has been turned off for a prolonged period of time), default notifications will not ring the phone until the screen is turned on. High priority notifications are designed to alert you to important events or updates that require your immediate attention, ensuring they are received promptly even in these situations.

What are Sticky Notifications?

Sticky notifications are a type of notification that remain on your device’s notification shade until they are manually dismissed by the user. Unlike regular notifications, which can disappear when they are tapped, sticky notifications ensure that important messages are persistently visible until you actively clear or swipe them away, ensuring that critical information stays visible until addressed.

Notification Channels

What are Notification Channels?

Notification channels are a feature for Android devices only. They allow you to categorize notifications, making it easier to manage and prioritize them. Each channel can have its own settings, such as notification style, sound, vibration, blink light, app icon badges, locked screen, and do not disturb, ensuring that you receive notifications in the manner most appropriate for each type of notification you receive.

How Do I Create a Notification Channel?

Before creating channels, it is best to consider what channels you would like to have for your notifications. This will help you structure it correctly, as once you create a channel, it can be removed but will never be deleted unless you reset your app. Taking the time to consider how you would like it structured will help you in the long run.

Some ideas for a channel structure are as follows:

You could just set the notification type. Emergency, General Notification, Dinner Ready, Time for Bed, Appliance Finished, etc.

Or maybe something like this.

1. Critical
  • Sound and pop-up.
  • Vibrate.
  • Blink light.
  • Locked screen.
  • Ignore Do Not Disturb.
  • Description : Notifications for emergency situations (e.g., fire alarm, flood alert, smoke detector, carbon monoxide detector, security breaches).
  1. High
  • Sound and pop-up.
  • Vibrate.
  • Locked screen.
  • Ignore Do Not Disturb.
  • Description : Notifications for reminders (e.g., upcoming appointment, power outage, rubbish reminder).
  1. General (Default)
  • Sound.
  • Vibrate.
  • Description : Notifications for general updates (e.g., appliance finished, battery low).
  1. Low
  • Silent.
  • Vibrate.
  • Description : Notifications for less critical updates (e.g., appliance started, unavailable sensor, battery low).
  1. Minimal
  • Silent and minimized.
  • Description : Notifications for non-urgent updates (e.g., reminder, Home Assistant update avalible).

To create a new channel, simply enter a name in the input. When your automation sends the first notification, it will create the channel on your device. After the channel is created, you can customize its notification settings to your preference directly on your device.

How Do I Edit a Notification Channel?

There are a few ways to do this:

1. On your device, go into Settings > Notifications > Home Assistant and you will see categories. These are your channels. Select the one you would like to customize and make your adjustments.
  2. When a notification is received, slowly slide it to the left and you will see a settings icon. Click on it, and it will take you to categories. These are your channels. Select the one you would like to customize and make your adjustments.

How Do I Delete a Notification Channel?

I have a blueprint that will help you remove a notification channel. See link below.

:robot: Android Notification Channel Manager

Hope this helps to explain some of the settings :face_with_monocle:

Enjoy

Back to FAQ: Click Here

New Update 1.6

In this update, we focus solely on notification delivery options for iOS and Android.

:warning: Previously, if you selected an Android device, Sticky Notification was automatically included by default, with no option to disable it. Now, you have the flexibility to enable or disable this feature. If you wish to maintain the previous behavior, please ensure that the Sticky Notification option is enabled in both the start and end notify settings.

:apple: New Feature For iOS

• Interruption Level - On devices running iOS 15 and later, you can now configure the interruption level for your notifications to ensure they are delivered according to your preferences. Choose the desired interruption level from the dropdown list. Critical and time-sensitive notifications must be turned ON within the Home Assistant App, and time-sensitive notifications must be allowed in your Focus settings.

:robot: New Feature For Android

• High Priority notifications ensure that you receive important alerts immediately. These notifications bypass normal delivery delays and are delivered instantly to your device.

• Sticky Notification ensure that important alerts are not dismissed when selected. They remain on your notification screen until you actively clear or swipe them away, ensuring that critical information stays visible until addressed.

• Notification Channel allow you to easily organize different notification settings, including notification sounds, vibrations, and other device-specific features. Before crating a channel make sure you understand them and how they work. I have a FAQ that has information on channels, click here.

:toolbox: Maintenance

• Clean up of some code :broom:

:rocket: Performance Upgrade

• Some performance enhancements.

If you like this blueprint? Consider hitting the :heart: button in the top post :+1:

If you like my blueprints, and would like to show your support or just say thank you? Click Here :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Enjoy

1 Like

First, thanks for the work you’ve put into this blueprint. This will be perfect for our family calendar. I have a question, can multiple trigger words be added to one event separated by a semicolon or something? Also can there be multiple calendar offsets with one trigger or will I have to setup multiple instances? For example if I want to be notified of upcoming bithdays one week ahead and then one day, will I need to set this up twice or can I add multiple offsets for one event?

@s8v4o

Welcome to the community.

I have an updated blueprint and I will push it out now.

In this blueprint, there are two triggers: one for the start and one for the end of the event. You can set offsets for these triggers. For example, if an event is from 11 AM to 2 PM, or an all-day event from 12 AM to 12 AM the next day, you can set notifications based on your preferences. For an all-day birthday calendar event notification 7 days before at 12 PM, use a start offset of -6 days -12 hours. For a notification the day before at 12 PM, use an end offset of -1 day -12 hours. You will now be notified 7 days before and also 1 day before.

Hope this helps you and stay tuned for the update to allow multiple keywords.

Let us know how you go.

New Update 1.7

:new: Upgrade Features

• Multiple Keywords - Added ability to use multiple keywords. You can now input a single keyword or, for multiple keywords, use a comma-separated list (e.g., @bins or #bins) or for multiple keywords (e.g., @bins, @rubbish).

• Same Time Events - The automation will now send all calendar events if scheduled for the same time.

Maintenance :toolbox:

• We have updated input descriptions to better help understand what they do.
  • Updated descriptions warnings that may prevent the automation from functioning correctly and could result in not receiving the notification.

Enjoy

Amazing improvements! Thank you so much for continuing to enhance this blueprint!

Any thoughts on how I could get multiple notifications to work? I have birthdays pulled in from my Google calendar… It works perfectly until there are 2 birthdays in the same day. It will only send one notification.

@VT_HomeAssistant

Already done in this update :wink:

1 Like