Cannot figure out how to recognize the "scenario switch" Legrand 600085L

Hello there,
First time posting in the forums so please forgive any mistakes, I hope I’m doing it right.
I’m kinda newbie with all home automation and things but I am a bit technical and can understand complex CLI instructions.
By adopting HASS I wanted to be in an open source environment and not cloud-dependant.
Here are a few informations I thought would be useful.

Hardware:
Raspberry pi 3+
Sonoff Zigbee 3.0 USB Dongle Plus
No bluetooth, no wifi, both disabled on purpose

Software:
HASS OS 2023.1.7
ZHA
MQTT with Mosquitto broker (I don’t know if it’s relevant)

I’m trying to make this switch work for 2 full days now, I don’t know what to try anymore.

So, I bought a legrand switch wireless “green power”, the 600085L.

HASS documentation says I need to register in the cloud service integration “Home Assistant Cloud Netatmo”. Which I did (despite not liking relying on a cloud service).
Then the documentation says I need “Legrand Home+ Control” which says “not configured, please follow documentation” that leads here.
Then it starts to get messy.
Documentation asks me to register to a dev API, now deprecated, following an obscure multiple subscription process (I felt the doc needs an update) and I should receive some informations by email, that I never received.

If I follow the switch installation documentation nothing is detected obviously. Maybe because I don’t have any wired netatmo stuff, or anything the documentation mentions, except the switch I bought.

I don’t know what to do anymore. So I have several questions, and I’d like some advices too :slight_smile:

1. Is this switch compatible with my installation? If so, what did I miss?
  2. Is there any scenario switch without wifi, preferably green powered (wireless, no battery), that works directly with HASS, without any cloud service required?

Honestly, I thought it would be easier to include a switch in my home automation. I don’t want to depends on a prorietary protocol, but damn that’s not for everyone.

Thank you for any form of help. I wish you a great day.

Well first welcome to home automation, and second - as advanced and fun as this is, remember we’re still VERY early in the tech as a whole. Cross platform device support (while good in HA, better than most platforms) still is one of the industry’s sticking points. You have the right idea sticking to verified open platforms - but you have to ensure that the protocol is supported in HA and even then, you’ll STILL need to check the idiosyncrasies of specific devices and even integrations. For instance, you can use that Sonoff Zigbee coordinator with BOTH ZHA and Zigbee2MQTT and device support is slightly different based on your choice. (Read: you’ll have to research everything before purchasing)

Good first start on the device, but you also chose a very hard to support protocol:

That device is Zigbee- but it’s Zigbee Green Power - so it’s a special animal. Follow that link and maybe Hedda can help you understand the state of ZGP in Home Assistant. Without that you’re probably falling back to the instructions for Legrand+ Home control - but you’re right those instructions are a bit of a mess.

To summarize the link (and last post from Hedda was about a month ago - even if your device to pull away from the Legrand device - you’re going to have a tough time finding supportable ZGP devices at all (see previous link)

Since you don’t want WiFi devices (that’s fine, I’m not a wifi IoT person either) your choices are basically Zwave, Zigbee (not green power in most cases) and Matter over Thread. Matter will be the emerging standard you want - but it’s brand new and device support is still spotty. Personally, if I were starting NEW today, I’d go Zigbee / Matter - preferring Matter versions of devices as availability allows.

For suggestions on SPECIFIC devices, we need your geography as device availability and power requirements vary WILDLY by region.

2 Likes

FYI, this is really asking the same as this other post even though it does not specifically mention ZGP:

You can submit a symbolic vote here to show interest → https://community.home-assistant.io/t/wth-doesn-t-zha-support-friends-of-hue-buttons-yet/472645

But in the end, Home Assistant need more volunteering Python developer(s) with interest in low-level Zigbee support to get that existing code pull request and open a new code pull request for the zigpy library (ZHA dependency) or create new code that is acceptable for merger:

https://github.com/zigpy/zigpy/pull/656

You might have many Zigbee Green Power (ZGP) devices, but statistically there are not many different ZGP devices on the market that are actually different products, (as most actually contain the same type of ZGP module made by EnOcean), however those available a relatively popular because of the “Friend of Hue” series as well as a few Philips Hue branded products that use the ZGP technology:

https://github.com/zigpy/zigpy/issues/341

2 Likes

If you want to primarily use Home Assistant’s ZHA integration as your Zigbee gateway implementation then the best workaround, for now, is probably just to buy another Zigbee Coordinator USB adapter (preferably one based on Texas Instruments CC2652P such as example the Sonoff ZBDongle-P model from ITead), then in parallel install and use Zigbee2MQTT (via MQTT in Home Assistant) for any ZGP (Zigbee Green Power) devices you got since it supports Zigbee Green Power. See → Home Assistant addon | Zigbee2MQTT

Note that while you can use Home Assistant’s ZHA integration and Zigbee2MQTT at the same time but they will have separate Zigbee networks that will no knowledge of each other, so if you primarily use Home Assistant’s ZHA integration you will still also have to add a few Zigbee Router devices to Zigbee2MQTT to get good range and coverage for the Zigbee Green Power devices. Zigbee2MQTT
can be installed as an addon or stand-alone on a separate computer, read → https://community.home-assistant.io/t/guide-for-zigbee-interference-avoidance-and-network-range-coverage-optimization/515752/

1 Like

@Pulsahr If you want devices that just work then you should probably have chosen to go with Z-Wave (more specifically “Z-Wave Plus”) instead of Zigbee, as Z-Wave is a stricter standard which since quite a few years back has required the manufacturer to use that standard to certify their products as “Z-Wave Plus” for interoperability.

This is also the main reason why Z-Wave devices cost a lot more than the equivalent Zigbee devices, that and the fact that most Zigbee are made in China by manufacturers who do care about following the recommended guidelines that the Zigbee Alliance have set).

Recommend read both of these-> https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/zha#knowing-which-devices-are-supported and https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/zha#zha-exception-and-deviation-handling

Those togther tries to explain The Zigbee specifications are more of a guideline than a strict standard. So while Zigbee does have a standard set of custom clusters and attributes for devices, the Zigbee specifications also allow manufacturers to extend the standard on their on by adding their own custom clusters and attributes to be able to create unique devices. So there is no guarantee for interoperability or that even a device marketed and certified as Zigbee 3.0 device will work out-of-the-box.

If the Zigbee device manufacturer used custom clusters and attributes then the developers of each Zigbee gateway implementation will either need to add a custom device handler/converter in order to parse/translate those into the default standard custom clusters and attributes that it already supports or alternatively extend that set of supported clusters and attributes if want to add custom features (or sometimes both).

1 Like

Thank you all for these precious advices. I’ll study possible solutions and will update when I’ll have some time :slight_smile:
(busy week ahead, might have some time this weekend but not sure)

I’m in France, if that helps.

Sadly I don’t have any of the required skill to do that. I’m a programmer, but very far from that language and its use (web dev for 15 years, mostly backend).

That’s exactly what I have implemented. I have this dongle and I use Zigbee2MQTT. So far I only have one lightbuld configured, the second lightbulb will be installed and configured this week.

If I understood everything correctly:

• the ZGP devices I bought are not yet supported and I should look for other switches
  • Zigbee2MQTT is a good choice but not the default one, and should be used only if I find usable ZGP devices
  • I should check the “friends of hue” series of devices if I want to stick to Zigbee
  • for easier devices usable out-of-the-box, I should choose z-wave over zigbee

Did I get everything correctly ?

Thank you for the time you took to help me !