Can't connect to homeassistant:8123

Ok this issue has descended upon me. I have a power failr and can no longer access via :8123

I m running 0S 9.4
Code 2022.12.8

The banner shows 10.0.1.10
on a VM Based on Linuy on a Mac mini

I can access the observer page using 4357. but not on 8123 using the IP , the alias and using HTTP of HTTPS.
ip 10.0.1.10 is clearly available and responds to ping and SMB. That last means ai do hav access to all files.

Any thoughts or random ideas??

I will first check is home assistant listening to port 8123.
You can do this by ssh to ha and

sudo netstat -tunlp | grep 8123

And will take it from there. If it is listening check your ip, firewall, the common suspects.
If it isn’t listening then probably is docker container not started or exited.

1 Like

Ok let me add some additional

I am trying to access my ha (10.0.1.10:8123). From the machine hosting (10,0.1.150). Hosting the virtual machine running virtual box on Mac Os 12

gave up. and reinstalled. HA or Virtual box REALLY don’t like power failures. Keeps it a hobby level

I was unable to access mine via DNS after giving the HA server a DHCP reservation that was different than it’s current IP. Accessing it via its new IP was fine.

The fix was to change the Hostname setting in Settings->System->Network from “homeassistant” to something else (I used “home-assistant”), and then change it back again.

The issue was immediately fixed.

EDIT: interestingly, the fix only works for about 5 minutes, and then I can no longer access it via its hostname (IP still works). If I do the fix again, it buys me another 5 minutes.

3 Likes

Were you able to fix this? This recently became an issue for me as well. I am running HA OS on RPI4 with SSD, hard-wired to the router via a network switch, which is also connected to other devices, which are not experiencing any issues. I see the IP address connected via my router. If I power down the RPI it works for a while after it reboots, then stops working/allowing access. Does anyone have any advice?

2 Likes

to file edit → network status → allowed network show xxx,xxx,xxx,xxx to remove it,and call again.

I had the exact same issue, could access through Nabu Casa though. I tried changing from IPv4 to IPv6, something went wrong and now I can’t connect in any way…

Suggestions on what to do when I connect a monitor and keyboard to my Raspberry Pi?

1 Like

Also having this issue, have tried swapping out all sorts of equipment including the Pi itself, the router etc.
Lights ARE flashing at the ethernet port so it’s vey confusing.
It just never acquires an IP.
After a random number of restarts it then magically does…

Somewhat same issue here.
Installed HA on VirtualBox on a Win10 machine, wired to my router. HA startsup fine and states its IPv4 to be 10.0.0.156.
This IP is visible on my router and I can ping it from every device on my network. But I can’t access the web interface htttp://homeassistant.local:8123 from any browser on any computer. Also tried http://homeassistant:8123, http://10.0.0.156:8123, all with http or https. Nothing can connect.

Any ideas? I have read through this thread, but couldn’t find anything that helped. I’m not a network or Linux Wiz, so maybe I have missed something fundamental here?

Go to a command prompt on the windows machine and type ipconfig, post the command output.

Can you access it from the web browser running on the Win10 via localhost:8123

If that answer is yes, it’s probably the windows firewall needs to be configured to allow access to port 8123. Trying turning the firewall off, if that fixes the issue then turn it back on and add port 8123 to its configuration.

Thanks for your reply! Windows installation is in Swedish, but I’m sure you know what it is supposed to show :slight_smile:

Ethernet adapter Anslutning till lokalt nätverk:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::2cb2:5d8d:ef0c:99f8%6
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.42
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.1

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::b389:8ed4:62f8:3980%28
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.56.1
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Ethernet adapter Anslutning till lokalt nätverk 2:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

HA ip is stated as 10.0.0.156/24

Interesting is that accessing observer at http://homeassistant.local:4357 works just fine both from VM host computer and from other computers on LAN. It says Supervisor: Connected, Supported: Supported and Healthy: Healthy

I have tried to turn off Firewall without solving the connection issue.

http://localhost:8123 does not work. I’m not sure if that was what you ment.

1 Like

There are two sets of ip addresses on the host machine:
10.0.0x and 192.168.56.x

It looks like 192,168.56.x represent your local LAN.

My understanding is that if you install in Virtual Box using Bridged Networking, HA should have a 192.168.56.x network address. What is the network mode that image is running under?

Any errors in the HA log?

The IP of the host machine is 10.0.0.42. I don’t know what the 192.168.56.x comes from. The DNS in my physical router is 10.0.0.1. So for me, the HA IP of 10.0.0.156 looks good (?) and is a sign that Bridged Network mode seems to work.

One error in the log regarding audio input, so it should not have anything to do with networking I suppose.

I moved the VM to another physical computer, with same Windows OS and configured the VM and Home Assistant installation exactly the same. It worked right away…

I’m happy for now, but hope it will continue to work since I don’t know what the difference between the two installations are.

All, I have been having this issue for months now. I can not access via Nabu casa (remote) via app, via local:8123 nor IP:8123. I tried the “Limit IP Address Tracking” on iOS and Mac.

Had been running solid on RPI 4 with external SSD. It is hardwired to ethernet and I can see it on network. On the app I am getting nsurlerrordomain - 1004 error. Locally I get DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN or ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED. I have resorted to unplugging the power and plugging back in to restore for 24 hours or so.

No automation work.

Can anyone help me solve this?

Thank you

OK, I don’t know what causes this but. Everyonce and a while by Router (DNS Server?) changes the IP addresses it assigns.
It Started with 192.168… And the went to 172.27… and then to 10.86… OK, I got tired of this and reset the router back to the defaults
sending it back yo the 192.168. However the PI for the Pi was stuck with the 172.27 numbers, I was able to guess the
number for a while , but now I can’t IP finders worked before but now no.
Anyway i discovered the problem trying to resetup Sonos which is also suck with the 172.27… numbers.

My router settings only shows the 192.168… number so I’m sure how to change it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Same Problem. Installed HA not as VM. Ping to IP and Ping to homeassistant.local is working.
Observer Webpage on Port 4357 is working too.
But Web Interface is not reacheable with error page. HA is not listening on Port 8123?

My solution for this: New Installtion of Drive Image with belanaEtcher (No EFI Settings needed again). Cause was: Running VM using Port 8123 on a different machine in my Network on first start. After reinstalling without having port 8123 used. Everything works fine. Don’t know if there is any solution to do a fix in Homeassistant cli. But this way has worked for me.

2 Likes

Guys who know how to log in to HA using https://homeassistant .local :8123 instead of http://homeassistant .local :8123
Thank you

I have a similar problem. The Browser says

homeassistant.local didn’t send any data.

ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE

2 Likes