Wyse Thin Client Home Assistant OS installation instructions

I stuck 120GB $20 SSD in both of mine. A big overkill for my requirements. I have been very happy with them. The 7010 is just setting there should the 5020 fail. One thing they only have DisplayPort for video out so you will need to make sure you can connect to a monitor. I bought a cheap DisplayPort to HDMI adapter on eBay.

Thanks. I have a different pc that only has displaypot so good on that

Did you do the SSD the way they show in the video? Or is there a way to do it without butchering the SSD case? (Thinking warranty)

I bought this sata cable. You can fold it and fit the SSD In nicely. 15+7 Pin SATA HDD Extension Cable Data & Power Male to Female, 11" / 28cm | eBay

1 Like

Wonder if someone can help me.
I’ve got my Wyse all set up, and new HDD and Ram installed (thanks for the advice above!)

I’ve got Ubuntu loaded from my live USB, but I cannot for the life of me get Balena running… appimages don’t load, and I’m going around in circles trying to get them to… I’ve tried appimagelaunger but it says it depends on Llibappimage0 but it cannot be installed…

Wonder if anyone else has had this with live versions on Ubuntu and if there is a way around it?

EDIT: Solved. This doesn’t seem to be mentioned anywhere but I went into Software and Packages and selected all sources - that seemed to be enough to find fuse to install and get it working… seems a lot of stuff is locked down in the live image

1 Like

Glad you found a solution. I tried the video solution to verify it works and didn’t have any issues Balena.

Thanks.

Unfortunately hitting more snags accessing my setup right now…
Can’t reach Home Assistant on the network - Installation - Home Assistant Community (home-assistant.io)

Don’t suppose you had anything similar?!

Sorry I haven’t experienced that problem on a new install. It typically takes just a couple of minutes after the ha > prompt on the Thin Client. I don’t think it is your install. Please post when you find the solution.

Never found the ‘solution’ but it somehow started working! My steps are in that thread in case anyone on this path needs them!

1 Like

Does your contact still have any for sale?

Agreed :+1: :+1: :+1:

1 Like

No he sold them all unfortunately,

I have been using mine for my HA for a while and it runs OK, takes a little while to reboot once you have a few addons running. I ended up moving my HA instance to a ProXMox VM on a Lenovo M720Q (Tiny PC) it has much more horsepower (i5-8400T & 16 GB DDR4 2666) and I like the idea of virtualization. I already have HA, Adguard Home and a Win 10 VM for testing software and I am working on a NAS as well. Even the older Lenovo/Dell tiny PC’s with 4th gen CPU’s do a great job running ProxMox and a few VM’s. It might be worthwhile considering this route. It is super simple to install ProxMox and with a single script you can create a supervised HA VM. I really like being ale to backup the whole VM but even better you can create a snapshot before you do anything major so if all goes south you can be back up and running literally in seconds.

I hate to hijack this post but was curious why I can’t get to Bios on Wyze 5020. I purchase the 5020 new from eBay (still in packaging). When I hit delete during boot up it goes to the VMware page. Any ideas on what I’m doing wrong?

@JoeTod
I found this on Dell website. You may have Dell Bios and need to hit F2. Try holding down the Delete or F2 key and also try tapping them.

### Accessing BIOS settings

After starting your thin client, you will see a Dell logo for a short time. During this period, press and hold the Delete key or F2 key based on the thin client model.

*** Delete key—Press and hold the Delete key to enter the BIOS settings on the ThinOS clients with Wyse BIOS.**
*** F2 key—Press and hold the F2 key to enter the BIOS settings on the ThinOS clients with Dell Standard BIOS.**

I have not had one with VMware installed. Have you tried holding the Delete key down when powering on? I typically tap delete key immediately when I power it on and have no issues.

1 Like

Have you done much testing on your 7010/Z90D7? I know it’s your backup but it will not shut down for me. Reboots fine but shutdown gets stuck at Reboot: Power off . In HA, xubuntu, gparted, any Linux!

I am on BIOS 3.0U (The latest afaik)

Seen this guy also struggling but wondering if you get the same issue. Dell Wyse Z90D7 Linux power off issue - Technicalhelp: A Flexible Computing Service

I am hoping to gift this to the old man for Christmas! Personally, I can deal with having to power off after a shutdown manually.

1 Like

@SavageCore
I just went in and checked and mine shut down when I went to Settings > System > Hardware > Shutdown host. It took a minute or so and the 7010 powered completely off. It came back up fine when I powered it back on. I haven’t updated since July 2022, but I don’t think that matters since the problem in the link above was from April 2022.

1 Like

Just checked my
BIOS Version 5.0M
BIOS date 04/30/2014
Phoenix SecureCore Tiano Setup

1 Like

Probably a question of timing. Try hitting the del key rapidly during boot (this always work for me - I have various Wyse models).

1 Like

Unfortunately, none of your recommendations worked. I never get to a Dell logo.

I’m very new to this and think I may have purchased a thin client with no memory. Can anyone tell me from this photo what I would need to do? Or what I would need to buy? Or am I SOL?

That’s not a Dell Wyse 5020. It’s a P25 (or 5030 zero) with only a miniscule amount of onboard storage (512Mb ram and 32Mb - yes that’s Mb - flash). You won’t be able to install HA on that.

To get into the bios it’s an option on the VMware front page. Watch this:

2 Likes

Hopefully you can return it. There are many Thin Clients available on eBay for ~$50.

1 Like