CLI not running. How to get HA running properly?

How long did you wait after you saw the login prompt ? You need to wait at least 20 minutes, HA still needs to be downloaded and installed.

1 Like

3 hours. That should be enough I thought

3 hours should be enough. It might be that your can’t get the correct time. There is a topic about it on the forum.

what has the correct time to do with starting HA? I don’t get HA running…

If your time is not correct, the SSL certificates for downloading HA are considered invalid, and HA does not get downloaded.

This is what I was seeing in logs once enabling debugging mode (see here for details https://developers.home-assistant.io/docs/operating-system/debugging/), you need debug mode in order to be able to SSH to the HA server:

# systemctl status systemd-timesyncd.service
Warning: The unit file, source configuration file or drop-ins of systemd-timesyncd.service changed on disk. Run 'systemctl daemon-reload' to reload units.
● systemd-timesyncd.service - Network Time Synchronization
     Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/systemd-timesyncd.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
    Drop-In: /etc/systemd/system/systemd-timesyncd.service.d
             └─hassos.conf, ro.conf
     Active: active (running) since Fri 2020-02-07 15:50:57 UTC; 2h 45min ago
       Docs: man:systemd-timesyncd.service(8)
   Main PID: 285 (systemd-timesyn)
      Tasks: 2 (limit: 4915)
     Memory: 1020.0K
     CGroup: /system.slice/systemd-timesyncd.service
             └─285 /usr/lib/systemd/systemd-timesyncd

Feb 07 16:09:53 homeassistant systemd-timesyncd[285]: Timed out waiting for reply from 162.159.200.123:123 (time.cloudflare.com).
Feb 07 16:10:03 homeassistant systemd-timesyncd[285]: Timed out waiting for reply from 162.159.200.1:123 (time.cloudflare.com).
Feb 07 16:27:18 homeassistant systemd-timesyncd[285]: Timed out waiting for reply from 162.159.200.1:123 (time.cloudflare.com).
Feb 07 16:27:28 homeassistant systemd-timesyncd[285]: Timed out waiting for reply from 162.159.200.123:123 (time.cloudflare.com).
Feb 07 17:01:47 homeassistant systemd-timesyncd[285]: Timed out waiting for reply from 162.159.200.1:123 (time.cloudflare.com).
Feb 07 17:01:57 homeassistant systemd-timesyncd[285]: Timed out waiting for reply from 162.159.200.123:123 (time.cloudflare.com).
Feb 07 17:36:15 homeassistant systemd-timesyncd[285]: Timed out waiting for reply from 162.159.200.1:123 (time.cloudflare.com).
Feb 07 17:36:26 homeassistant systemd-timesyncd[285]: Timed out waiting for reply from 162.159.200.123:123 (time.cloudflare.com).
Feb 07 18:06:54 homeassistant systemd-timesyncd[285]: Network configuration changed, trying to establish connection.
Feb 07 18:06:54 homeassistant systemd-timesyncd[285]: Network configuration changed, trying to establish connection.
#

Time sync is not working with time.cloudflare.com hosts.

After debug access is set up you can SSH to the HA server where you will be presented with the hypervisor prompt, type login to get to a shell prompt:

❯ ssh [email protected] -p 22222
Warning: Permanently added '[192.168.10.17]:22222' (ECDSA) to the list of known hosts.
 _    _                                         _     _              _
| |  | |                          /\           (_)   | |            | |
| |__| | ___  _ __ ___   ___     /  \   ___ ___ _ ___| |_ __ _ _ __ | |_
|  __  |/ _ \| '_ ` _ \ / _ \   / /\ \ / __/ __| / __| __/ _` | '_ \| __|
| |  | | (_) | | | | | |  __/  / ____ \\__ \__ \ \__ \ || (_| | | | | |_
|_|  |_|\___/|_| |_| |_|\___| /_/    \_\___/___/_|___/\__\__,_|_| |_|\__|

Welcome on Home Assistant command line.

For more details use 'help' and 'exit' to close.
If you need access to host system use 'login'.

ha > login
#

I modified the NTP server entry: vi /etc/systemd/timesyncd.conf

Reloaded systemd config: systemctl daemon-reload

Restarted timesyncd service: systemctl restart systemd-timesyncd.service

Confirmed time was now syncing: systemctl status systemd-timesyncd.service

systemd-timesyncd.service - Network Time Synchronization
     Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/systemd-timesyncd.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
    Drop-In: /etc/systemd/system/systemd-timesyncd.service.d
             └─hassos.conf, ro.conf
     Active: active (running) since Sat 2020-09-19 15:09:05 UTC; 2s ago
       Docs: man:systemd-timesyncd.service(8)
   Main PID: 4587 (systemd-timesyn)
     Status: "Initial synchronization to time server 192.168.10.1:123 (192.168.10.1)."
      Tasks: 2 (limit: 4915)
     Memory: 552.0K
     CGroup: /system.slice/systemd-timesyncd.service
             └─4587 /usr/lib/systemd/systemd-timesyncd

Sep 19 15:09:05 homeassistant systemd[1]: Starting Network Time Synchronization...
Sep 19 15:09:05 homeassistant systemd[1]: Started Network Time Synchronization.
Sep 19 15:09:05 homeassistant systemd-timesyncd[4587]: Initial synchronization to time server 192.168.10.1:123 (192.168.10.1).

Once this was done I restarted the HA supervisor service: systemctl restart hassos-supervisor.service

1 Like

I’m having this issue too. Did anyone manage to fix it using the instructions above?

I have not yet. He doesn’t say how he edited the timesyncs.conf and I don’t know how to use the text editor on the Pi.

Yes I did.

He’s using the text editor ‘vi’ another alternative is ‘nano’ it depends what’s installed on your system.

Linux text editors take a bit of getting used to if you’re coming from Windows but they don’t take too long to get the hang of.

Thanks for replying. From ilium007’s instructions, I couldn’t tell what was changed on the conf file. When I opened mine it was just a single line with some URLs to the time sync service. I didn’t see anything recognizable from the code snippets.

That being said, my actual problem was embarrassingly simple. I either grabbed a bad Ethernet cable or didn’t plug it in all the way, so my Pi wasn’t connected to the Internet when I was trying to install.

So, I’m up and running now. Perhaps others are making a mistake with their WiFi config and not getting connected?

Same error here. It’s because of a wrong timezone.
How can i change the timezone on the system?
When i use "timedatectl set-timezone ‘Europe/Berlin’ i get an Error msg:
“Faild to set time zone: Read-only file system”.
But i can edit the timesyncd.conf with vi.
Only don’t know what to insert for alternate Timezone.

Regards

I’m in the US, but I checked my system to see what it was using since I didn’t have issues when I ran into this issue with a friends RPI 4 install with SSD. I haven’t done the fix yet, however, I think this may resolve it. This is what my timesyncd.conf looks like that’s working.

[Time]
NPT=time.cloudflare.com
FallbackNTP=0.pool.npt.org 1.pool.npt.org 2.pool.npt.org 3.pool.npt.org

It seems that time.cloudfare.com is having issues.

Hi guys! I also ran into this problem, but I managed to solve it with a rather stupid method. After the HA image is loaded in the line where you need to register the root, write a random login and password, then he will tell you that there is no such login and password and will ask you to repeat the login, then you write the root and your server will start … This method is for me helped.

3 Likes

This one actually worked for me, but there is nothing goin on after when you type login. IP scanner shows the address, but nothing is going on. I had the same problem when installing VM, so maybe this has to do with router settings? Anyone?

Tks dude!!! It worked for me!!

My dude! You did it it works ! I was about to start all over again

Just check your time zone. Make it automatic.

And one does that… how?

many thanks!!!