CLI not starting on new install

Well thanks for the details.

I have 2 rasp pi4 8gb, the first was installed with hassio 4.X with conf file so I didn’t have any problem.

I’ve also tryed with hassio 5.9 and this version can be seen on homeassistant.local but the installation is stuck there.

I will try with your suggestion but first of all I want to try on a different ISP.

Do you think that this could be related with Zeroconf?
They updated it with 6.1

Do you think this is related with the same problem? Can’t connect to HA via homeassistant.local:8123 - Home Assistant OS - Home Assistant Community (home-assistant.io)

@ezankel, please post a link to the GitHub issue about your solution recorded here. The developers will might have an idea what to look for to fix it.

I don’t know if I Actually fixed mine but I am running my Pi 4 headless and don’t have any USB keyboards lying around so I added the ssh text file to the root of the SD card (as you would for other Pi installs)…when I put the card back in the pi it booted all the way up and I can now access. Before this I had taken the card out several times and performed various troubleshooting steps so I know it wasn’t a bad connection on the card…just another thing to try for those who are still struggling with this.

Sure you can also configure the network with a text conf file and it will load the settings on the boot.

Mmmm I can’t see any solution for this in the last changelog…

Issue has been updated with my notes and link to this thread.

I think this is the right one… someone correct me if not.

2 Likes

I got mine setup last night for the first time and was running into this same issue. Restarted a few times before I just logged in as root and checked the container logs with docker logs $(docker ps -q) and found that it was timing out trying to pull another image. Then I checked /etc/resolv.conf to find that only 192.168.0.1 was listed, so I added 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 following these instructions (below) as directly editing the file would simply result in it being overwritten by network manager. Once updated I restarted and it has been working since.

https://serverfault.com/questions/810636/how-to-manage-dns-in-networkmanager-via-console-nmcli

I was able to finish the installation from another location with a different ISP.

Same network config, same dns.

Changing the DNS did the trick, Thank you so much!!! I have been beating my head against the wall to try to figure this one out!

Where did you change dns? Into your gateway?

As per another post, I was getting this error on a clean first-install (Raspberry Pi 400), and it was solved by, um, plugging a network cable in between the RPI and the router. KISS solution that might help someone else.

Yes you DO need to be connected to the internet to install.

Sorry is not very clear how did you manage to solve it. You mean that you had the problem only with wifi?

This test would be very important.

I had the same issue. For me, it turned out that the started container was just stuck trying to install additional components (e.g. the cli component) due to an DNS issue. I’m also running PiHole and my router returns its IP address in the DHCP response.

This SO helped me fixing the issue:
It was basically hardcoding the dns servers in /etc/docker/daemon.json

The related error message from sudo systemctl status hassio-supervisor:

Oct 09 17:10:19 hostname hassio-supervisor[2852]: 21-10-09 17:10:19 WARNING (MainThread) [supervisor.plugins.cli] Error on install cli plugin. Retry in 30sec
Oct 09 17:10:49 hostname hassio-supervisor[2852]: 21-10-09 17:10:49 WARNING (MainThread) [supervisor.jobs] 'Updater.fetch_data' blocked from execution, no supervisor internet connection

It would be great to be able to install this thing without any workaround.

Type cli update then Enter
Second step type Login and you will see HA message Preparing Home Assistant.
This worked for me.

1 Like

This happened to me today with latest 7.4 64-bit install on Rpi 3B+ … I just typed “login” and it proceeded.

2 Likes

Hi, I have the same problem. After a long wait I keep seeing this page. I’ve tried commands but nothing works. Does anyone recognize this problem?

Iam using Pi 4 8gb with 64 gb sd card