Configuring Yale Access Bluetooth Integration

I have recently gotten a Yale Assure Lock (YRD256) and set it up with the Yale Access app. As this is a supported lock on the integration page, I was hoping it would be simple to set it up and get things running. However, when I try to add the integration I get an error message indicating “No unconfigured devices found.”

I have to admit the new bluetooth integrations seem very strange to me. I tried to push the button on the lock to put it into a pairing mode, but nothing seemed to work.

Does anyone know how I can make home assistant work with this?

Some details about my system:

• I am running Home Assistant Blue
  • I have a XDO BT802 [RTL8761BU] adapter, which is listed as supported.
  • I added the bluetooth: entry to my configuration.yml
  • I see my bluetooth device on the integrations page

Seeing support for August lock gen 2 I am wondering what the range of the yale wifi/bluetooth module is? It looks suspiciously like the august connect module which gives very poor performance for me. My connect is 4 ft from the lock and about 10 feet from my access point which has devoted a 2.4 ghz ssid for it. It works terribly. I guess if the yale connect wifi/bluetooth module was better maybe it would be worth it to make the lock reliable by running the yale access bluetooth integration?

EDIT: maybe I am confused. Is there a way to interact with the bluetooth module in the lock itself without going through the wifi–>bluetooth module?

Yes, I have read the configuration page. No, posting that here is not helpful. It is a little frustrating that following the instructions on the integration page will ALWAYS result in the “No unconfigured devices found” error message unless you have a notification from home assistant indicating a new device was found.

However, after waiting a few days, Home assistant discovered my lock and prompted me to enter the key and slot information.

I’m having the same problem with Yale Assure Lock SL. How did you get it to work? It just discovered the lock on its own? Does that mean you did not need to install the Yale Access Bluetooth integration?

I am still having trouble getting it to lock or unlock the door, but Home Assistant discovered the device on its own. I posted more details on your other topic here:

I still have not managed to find the offline key. I tried backing up from iOS with iMazing, but none of the .plist files contain a value that could be a 32-byte hex string.

I also tried to setup the august integration, and that worked to lock/unlock the device once, but has not worked again since. I can’t find any keys from that either.

Just posting another update. I created a new account with owner access because I wanted a dedicated homeassistant account. After doing that, I went down the rabbit hole again of trying to get the access key of the past past couple days.

I cannot figure out where to look for what the Integration page refers to as the “Yale Access or August Cloud” method of getting the key. I do have the August integration configured with a dedicated home assistant account that has owner access, but I don’t know how I could get the offline key from that integration. I am using the new account I created specifically for home assistant.

I have tried backing up my wife’s iPhone several times, but still no luck finding a .plist file that contains a 32-byte hex string. I tried this method with two accounts now (including the new account), but still no luck.

I have an old Android phone that I rooted. I tried installing the Yale client and enabled auto-unlock; after leaving/returning home several times over the past couple days, the local bluetooth key is still not being stored on the device. In fact, the /data/data/com.august.luna folder is not being created. I just installed the August client to see if I can get a different result.

If anyone has successfully gotten one of these methods to work, I would love to hear about how you did it.

My understanding is that the intent of the Yale Access Bluetooth Integration is to allow Home Assistant to directly connect to the bluetooth module in the Yale/August lock; however, I am having trouble getting the key and slot values required to directly connect to the module from home assistant.

I do know you can connect directly to the lock from your phone using only bluetooth, as I didn’t use the bluetooth/wifi bridge when I first got my lock. It wasn’t until a little while later than I actually connected the bridge.

I believe the Yale and August modules are the same; however, I don’t know if the August one also has the built in door sense support to detect if the door is open. Both modules work with the lock.

To be honest, I am half tempted to cave in and pay $170 for the Zigbee module and get rid of the Yale Bluetooth/WiFi kit. However, when I saw this Integration, I thought I would give it a try and see if I can get the best of both worlds in a “cloud optional” way. Plus its interesting to see how Bluetooth on Home Assistant will work.

How is your home assistant broadcasting Bluetooth? I have been running home assistant as a virtual machine in Synology.

Honestly the connectivity of my phone through Bluetooth with the lock has been pretty good. I would even consider daisy chaining a PI with home assistant on it just to get some reliability and Chuck this stupid WiFi/Bluetooth connect junk.

Edit: contributing like a neighbor guy standing around an open hood : After reading about the Bluetooth integration is there any possibility that you guys/girls have to do something to get the lock to broadcast or your bluetooth adapter is operating in a passive mode?

If you turn on debug logging for ‘yalexs’ and setup the august integration you should be able to see the offline key in the log as well if it’s stored in the account you are logged in with

Thank you for this piece of information, I enabled debug logging on the August Integration, and after rebooting I saw all of the information about my lock in the logs.

Added the following to configuration.yaml:

logger:
  default: warning
  logs:
    # log for August Integration
    yalexs: debug

For reference: I already had the August Integration installed and setup for an account I planned to use with Home Assistant, and I had previously enabled and used auto-unlock for the account on both an Android phone and iPhone. Although I was not able to retrieve the offline key data from an unlocked Android device nor from the backup of the app from an iPhone, the logs had a json object for OfflineKeys that contained several entries for keys and associated slots for the account I want to use.

However, when I take any of the key and slot values from the log, entering that information to the plugin manually fails. I first tried with the OfflineKeys.loaded list, which contained a single key for slot 4; that key failed when I attempted to configure it. I then tried the OfflineKeys.createdhk list, which contained a key (for the same user) with an invalid slot of 258. Neither key allowed me to successfully enable the integration.

So, I have some keys, but neither of them work :unamused:

It is definitely the loaded key you want.

You may need to create another with owner access to get it to load the key.

1 Like

I did create three accounts, all with owner access, and that is how I got the key. However, I can’t figure out how to get the integration to allow me to enter the key again. I am back to getting that "No unconfigured devices found.” message again. I tried pushing/holding the button on the bridge, and I even tried unplugging it; however, no luck.

I am having the same exact issues. I got the key and slot but it keeps saying invalid authentication or failed to connect.

I was never able to get this to work using the manual entry method, however, whenever I did use a rooted Android phone with Auto-Unlock configured, once August initiated the unlock sequence, Hassio would automatically grab the data needed and would just need me to click on submit. This occurred every time across different Hassio installations and hardware, so if you have a rooted device, try doing that to get Bluetooth to work.

ADDENDUM:

Confirmed working after configuring August Cloud account. I figure the same will happen with a Yale account since they both use the Bluetooth component. Use a rooted Android to trigger auto-unlock, configure your August/Yale account in Hassio, and Bluetooth will work without needing to add keys or slots.

I have been using the August (cloud) integration for a while, it works but is slow to respond. It is also obviously internet-dependent.
With a BT adapter on an extension cable, HA offered to install Yale Bluetooth, it did, self-configured and just works. Love it - much faster than the cloud August integration.

One thing I do notice, while the lock / unlock is fast and responsive (<2s instead of typically 5+ seconds with the cloud integration), the status changes for open / closed take 10 to 15 seconds, sometimes longer. To the point that if the door is opened and closed quickly it does not change open / closed at all… Anyone else notice this?

The delay is expected as the lock doesn’t broadcast the open/close right away.

Thanks @bdraco, I figured it would be the door’s issue not the integration. Unfortunately it makes the open/close function pretty useless when I can open the door, go through it, and close the door and the open/close does not trigger at all.

1 Like

which plist file has the key and slot i checked all and cant find it?

After a few weeks of testing, I’m really in two minds on the Yale Access Bluetooth integration.

I have an esphome Bluetooth proxy device about 1m from the lock. I can control the lock over Bluetooth, so I know the proxy is functioning (there is currently no other BT device on the HA system).

But updates FROM the lock are just non-existent… Door open, door lock state - I can pretty much guarantee that the BT integration will be wrong on the states.

Are there any tips to improve this?