Constant updates, skip option

Till not so long ago I used a version of ESPHome which you had to install via an extra external third party add-on. That got updated nicely, regularly but not that often!
But with the API changes a month or so ago I found out that my version was very outdated it had been stuck since feb 2022. Friendly people here pointed out that I had to remove the previous ESPHome which was scary for I have a 50 nodes, so I thought I lose them all, but that did not happen.
And had to install the now inbuilt esphome add-on, which gets updated several times a week, lolz :slight_smile: .
So now I update esphome ever so often, but let the bubble with the update nodes 50+ just be there and see if it get higher then I know there is another thing in HA that is in need for an update, the nodes… well maybe once a month or two months. For I dread the moment one gets flash fried, and I have to open walls.

I was not getting any update entities from ESPHOME and found a setting I had switched off, I posted here:

Where did you find that setting? I saw your other post, and I’m interested to see what else that integration does. I tried searching for it in integrations, and doing a regular Google search, but no luck.

In the configuration of the add-on, in settings

1 Like

You are confusing the addon-update with the esphome module update, they are nit the same :thinking:

No, the setting I showed in the linked post will turn off the update entities, not sure what else it disables though

yup, i read it better this time, not a clue what is does though :thinking:

I did find a skip option now, it was not there not so long ago, but it is in the settings, click a node, the little > and there you see this:

that did the trick for me, and the beauty of this is that under the ESPHome tab, all the nodes still show that there is an update if one would choose to update, I like it this way.

update not gone from esphome add-on

Ever notice how the most inaccessible device is the one that needs attention? Any devices “in the wall” should be accessible through a junction box or some other removable cover. You will have to access the device sooner or later.

After two or three ESPHome updates in just the last ten days, yet another one pops up today. What is driving the frequent releases? Is it bug fixes, new features, or an accelerated release schedule? For whatever reason, it’s too many, too frequently, IMHO.

2 Likes

I for one really like this feature. It finally handles all my updates in the same way: home Assistant components, add ins, HACS, router-firmware, Shelly firmware, and now finally esphome firmware.

This makes it very easy to automate on all the updates.
With one click/script you can install all updates.

I do understand though that frequent updates and many devices can get annoying.

Luckily there is the service “update.skip” which should also make it very easy to automate to skip all esphome updates.

It’s a no-go… do that 30+times for 30+ devices… And then do this again tomorrow… And day after tomorrow… And after 3-4 days… And…
For now best option is still to disable all “firmware” sensors from esp modules.

1 Like

Well… Yes, but tell me why would anyone want to update 30 esp modules just because latest esphome has a bug correction for bl0939 chip, while NOone of my modules even use that library, so update won’t change absolutely nothing? And i really mean nothing! Doing constant updates will only end esp’s life prematurely, since (limited) number of flashes will come to an end. Would you change diesel pump in your car “just in case” , even if it’s working perfectly? I strongly doubt that.
And, updating from HA interface doesn’t work. It tries to update, but version on module remains the same and update notification is still there. One of reasons is that when compiling it’s often needed to “clean build” or compiling ends with an error.

1 Like

No me neither, no idea when I switched it off, everything seems to work without it ?

it changes the version number :wink: but only that.

that is probably because the update failed, sometimes it succeeds, in the addon, you see the output with an error. the HA interface does not show the result. So you do not know what failed and why in the end except from the fact that the update appears again.

Noone is forcing you to update.

Where did i say that anyone is forcing me to UPDATE??? I just said that it’s very annoying having 30 and more update notifications shown!
But, it IS true that HA is forcing me to have useless esphome notifications present, although i don’t want them to be shown, or should i say that it can be dangerous if they are there…
Among tons of useless ones it’s pretty easy to miss an important one, don’t you agree? I bet that you won’t notice if there will be 36 updates for a week, then suddenly it will increase to 37, and that last one will be perhaps one with serious security warning in HA or one of addons…

But, tell me: how many esphome modules do you have?

No, but before the ESPHome updates were integrated into core, the only indication that an update was available was the blue line on the device in the ESPHome dashboard. Unobtrusive and easily ignored or acted on if the update would affect any of my 50 devices.

But now, I get an intrusive Update Notification in my Settings.

4 Likes

So,
just check out this response

it leads you to a solution.

I already thought those blue bars were annoying :wink: but I learned to live with it.
I have now 17 blue en 1 red bar, I removed a few devices because of the red bar :wink:

I don’t mind the 50 blue bars and the 20 red bars on the ESPHome dashboard. But if I expand the updates available on my Settings dashboard, I get this which is overkill.

4 Likes