Control Liftmaster LA400 Gate Opener via HA?

@fyton2v do you get the “Opening” and “Closing” status with this config?

I have the LA400 and also have the Liftmaster K1D8080-1CC Add-on board, and my Ratgdoo should arrive soon

There is a lot of discussion, but I’m just trying to figure out the best way to wire it all up with the add-on board

Because of the way the relay fires, the RatGDO only updates when the gate is fully open or fully closed. Nothing in the middle. I’m hopeful we can figure that out … someday.

It seems to me that opening and closing are a function of what state it thought it was in and whether either the open or closed port on the ratgo is triggered. So when it opens from close, both inputs shoudl not be triggered and when it gets to open, then open is triggered. I have got it working with the addition of a relay and 1 magnetic switch. I ordered the expansion board as then I don’t need the magnetic switch but the issue is there is no reliable way to get the closed state, it is essentially (NOT OPEN - yellow at > 0 volts) as soon as it starts to close. For a while the voltage is like 5v then 3v but then drops down to 1.xx volt and it doesn’t register with my 5v relay. Maybe I could find a relay that clamps at a lower voltage and remove the magetic switch. In the configuration I have below I get Open, Opening, Closing and Closed.

Got the expander board for $100 from gate company in florida. Works perfect

off-off-on → NO → ratgdo open

Off-on-off → NC → ratgdo close

Ratgdo ground wired to common on the two relays.

Are you able to share the full wiring with the add-on board?

Thanks!

Is this what you would like to see?

2 Likes

1 Like

Will need to try that!

Edit: Success! Opening/closing status works when using both relays.

You must be using a custom hardware version? I have the 2.5 and I don’t think this will work for me right? Would love to have 2.5 on ESPHome for the CSL24UL though.

Thank you, this was helpful. My 2.5i worked with this wiring and MQTT firmware. Wish it was ESPhome, but I’ll take what I can get for now.

Thank you!
I think you said you don’t have the LA400, but I assume with the add-on board, it shouldn’t matter right? I have the LA400 and then the add-on board

From what I’m reading, the add-on board allows the best configuration?

I do have the la412 which as I found out later uses the la400 board. You can almost see the la400 on the blue label below the wiring nut. To be honest, both the relay and the add-on board worked identical in my test. However, I can see the relay causing issues as the relay sometimes flickers until it gets to the open state and voltage drops. However, you do have to use at least 1 reed switch. The way I looked at it, if you are going to use some kind of magnetic sensor for the close state, you might as well run 2 and you have open and close state reliably without the add-on board. The add-on board was dead simple though and not extra wiring outside the box.

Thanks for posting this

I just got mine hooked up and figured I’d try this route before hooking up the add-on board

It functions just fine, however I never get an “Opened” status. If I hit Open In HA, it then reports that its closed a few moments later, despite actually being open. Any ideas? do I need configure something on the ratdgo?

So with your config and the add-on board, you are using a magnetic reed switch too?

I wired up the control board like this

I hit open, it opened! Hit close, nothing! Hit a regular fob, nothing, hit close, nothing!

Now if I hit close, I just get a beep and error code 73. It appears my board learned of an entrapment devices from the blank addon board! Very weird

I thought I destroyed it, as when I removed the addon board I then got code 82. In the end I fixed it

Press and hold Set Open and Set Close at the same time, and release. Do the same again

Now, no more entrapment errors!

1 Like

@HamBandit - I don’t have the expansion board installed on my gate. So I have no idea how to unpair the expansion board. I assume you tried searching the internet. Have you tried connecting the vendor where you purchased the expansion board?

Here are some YouTube videos on your error codes,
Error 73 states CLOSE EYE/INTERRUPT reversal, preventing close or resetting TTC (Expansion Board).

Error 82 states Close input (EYE/EDGE) fault (expansion board).

I suggest you remove any connections to the ratgdo and confirm your gate is still operation before re-installing the ratgdo.

Just edited my post right as you posted, thanks for the help anyway!

I will now WAIT FOR THE WEEKEND and try all this again

If anyone else runs into the same issue, Press and hold Set Open and Set Close at the same time, and release. Do the same again, and it will remove the old entrapment devices

Great to hear you resolved your issues.

Is the ratgdo working as expected when the expansion board installed and open & close limits wired to ratgdo board?

I couldn’t tell, as I was stuck on that error right away. It did Open just fine and reported open, so it seemed to work well. But, of course then no closing. So I spent the next few hours hassling with that

At this point, I’m wondering if I have the right expansion board. It “worked” so I assume it was, but I don’t think it is. I bought Liftmaster K1D8080-1CC

But now finding that board on other websites, it says “The expansion board (K1D8080-1CC) is compatible only with pre-2016 Liftmaster operators with model # ending in ‘V’ or ‘VDC’.”

Well, mine is not! I got mine in 2019. I think I actually need K1D8387-1CC, which says “K1D8387-1CC is a UL325 Expansion Board. For use with various LiftMaster Commercial Swing and Slide Gate Operators; manufactured after 2016”

So thats $120~ down the toilet. If anyone on here needs a K1D8080-1CC, let me know! I will give it to you for the cost of shipping or whatever

I have the k1d8080-1cc with my la400 and it works fine.

Did yours come with a piece of paper telling you check the colors of you power wires on the board? There are 3 versions of the la400 and they changed the power wiring. My board is all green with green connectors.

You can see my power is red black black red in my pic. Some boards are red black red black.

Found a copy online