Controlling z-wave devices

Hi. I am very new to Home Assistant and have been reading the documentation and forums but I’m stuck.

I’m running hass.io on a Pi3 with a Razberry board.

I have got Home Assistant running and also the Z-Wave component. If you look at the attached image you can see Z-Wave and on the right Light and Switch. The devices under Light and Switch are Z-wave devices and I can control them from here. These were all configured automatically.

The question I have is how do I control my Garage Door Controller and put it under Switch?

Thanks

Ian

I don’t have a garage, but as far as I know it goes in the covers component.

Did you include it the garage door controller using secure inclusion? In the Z-Wave control panel this means using the “ADD NODE SECURE” button, not the “ADD NODE” button. Sometimes Z-Wave garage door controllers require this. You will need to set a network key to do this. https://www.home-assistant.io/docs/z-wave/installation/#network_key

@irose

There are four steps required at the moment to control a Garage door opener from HA:

1. Install the Dev version of OpenZWave:
    Hassbian :
hastop

sudo -u homeassistant -H /bin/bash
source /srv/homeassistant/bin/activate

pip3 uninstall python_openzwave
pip3 install --upgrade cython==0.24.1
pip3 install --no-cache-dir 'python_openzwave==0.4.9' --install-option="--flavor=ozwdev"

deactivate
exit

hastart
  1. Add a network key to you zwave: config
  2. Pair the controller with “ADD NODE SECURE” from the ZWave control tab.
  3. Add the cover component.
#Enable Z-Wave:
zwave:
  usb_path: /dev/ttyUSB0
  device_config: !include zwave_device_config.yaml
  network_key: !secret zwave_key

cover:
  - platform: zwave

That is how I have my Linear NGDZ00-4 Garage Door opener configured.

@irose
I just saw that you are running hass.io and there is no way to build the Dev version of OpenZWave at the moment.

If you need to use the Garage door opener, I suggest switching to hassbian.

Thanks for that!

I’ll try running hassbian and give it a try.

There is an older thread that mentions this controller, and they are using it like a switch w/o Barrier support: Aeon Labs ZW062 Garage Door controller - stateful commands. I also have a Linear (broken one) so that threw me off. Maybe there’s a newer version that disable that behavior. The device does support the Binary Switch class for some reason.

Hmmm,

I am using the Linear and know the way to get it to work was to install the OZW Dev as discussed here:

I was assuming to get the Barrier Class support the same would be required.

Yes, when it’s running under Z-Wave-Me it sees it as a switch. It also doesn’t fully complete the interview and it’s the BarrierOperator that doesn’t complete.

I am trying hassbian and I’m following this thread Home Assistant and Razberry to get things going.

Well, I can see it as a switch now but it will not turn off - ‘on’ means the garage is closed.

There is also a Cover that has appeared - Aeotec ZW062 Garage Door Controller Switch

I’ll check out the other thread mentioned by freshcoast