Convert W to kWh?

I have an energy monitor sensor reporting in W. I would like to convert it to kWh to track how much power the device uses daily with the new energy panel.

2 Likes

There have been many posts and requests regarding the conversion from W to kWh. On the surface it would seem simple enough however it does seem to cause endless problems with many solution and work arounds.
I am going to describe the method I use which is over 90% accurate and really simple to implement.
First of all we have to understand exactly what it is we are trying to do. A frequently asked question is how do I convert 100W to kWh, the simple answer is you can’t.
Power is in Watts and energy is in kWh, to convert W to kWh you have to introduce a period of time, ie how long was I consuming 100W, if it is for 1 hour then you have consumed 100Wh or 0.1kWh.
Unfortunately life isn’t that straight forward and the power will rarely if ever be a constant value, it will rise and fall and may even drop to zero.
A solution I have commonly seen is the feed the statistics integration with the power levels, this fails because that integration does not seem to handle values of zero.
My solution utilises the truly excellent average integration.
This is how it works;

- platform: average  
    name: 'Device Average Power '
    start: '{{ now().replace(hour=0).replace(minute=0).replace(second=0) }}'
    end: '{{ now() }}'
    entities: sensor.device_power 

In the above snippet I fed the average integration with sensor.device_power.

The integration allows for various methods of defing the span of time we are interested in. In this case I was looking at the period of time since midnight and now (which would change and increase throughout the day)
The start statement

replaces the time now() with 00:00:00, ie midnight.

And the end statement

is simply now()

The average integration then works out the average power over this period.
It is then a simple matter to multiply this average power by the time since midnight.

device_energy:
        value_template: "{{ '%0.2f'|format(states('sensor.device_average_power')|float / 1000 * (now().hour + now().minute/60)) }} " 
        unit_of_measurement: "kWh"

The length of time since midnight is simply the current time
In the code above I have converted the current time from hours and minutes into a decimal number. The result is divided by 1000 to convert to kWh (from Wh) and I have formatted it to 2 decimal places.

I have also used the average integration to calculate a rolling 5 min average power that I send to PVOutput

name: 'device 5min Average Power'
    duration:
      minutes: 5

The value of this sensor is simply the rolling average power over the previous 5 minutes.

I have run this method for over a month and compared it with actual values taken from my smart meter.

Consumption  Meter: 4.7kWh    calculated 4.77kWh
PV           Meter  4.39kWh   calculated 4.41kWh
Export       Meter  2.29kWh   calculated 2.31kWh

I hope this is helpful.

2 Likes

Be careful that “plain” averaging is only good enough for “devices” (generally speaking) that are always on/consuming.

If you do that with, e.g., a smart switch, you’ll get strange results because the averaging will only be done on actual readings / state changes, i.e. the zeroes won’t be taken into account.
For example, if you switch on a device consuming 1000W for 5 minutes, I assume you’ll basically see 1kWh for the whole day.

Assuming you use https://github.com/Limych/ha-average , it seems indeed to do averaging on the HA history, so I assume you’ll get the side-effect described above.

The ha-average integration handles zero values perfectly. This can be seen with my consumption figures, because I have solar panels my consumption from the grid falls and remains at zero for prolonged periods of time. Yet the difference between my reading from my consumption meter and the calculated values is trivial.
Your comment about 1000W for 5 minutes is true, but that is not what I’m doing.

Which integration method did you use?

Not saying, it can work perfectly well for you.
Just pointing out to others who might read this thread that the average approach has its pitfalls.

I’m using Rieman with left method for my plugs and it seems fine, at least handling zeroes. Never used any kind of meter to confirm accuracy, but I don’t expect those plugs to be spot on, anyways.

I was actually using something similar in grafana, before, but I was doing 1-hour sums of 1-minute averages.

I think I need to explain a little more clearly.

Firstly your statement was incorrect. If we take the example of 1000W for 5mins this would not result in an energy value of 1kWh.
1kWh is 1000W for 1hr and as 5min is 1/12 of an hour then 1000W for 5min is 1000/12 = 83.33Wh

The average sensor calculates the average value of a sensor over a period of time. If, for example the average sensor has a value of 500W at the end of a 24hr period then the energy consumed for that period is 500 * 24 /1000= 12kWh.

There are no pitfalls to this method, it relies totally on the operation of the average sensor. It is simple to implement and highly accurate.

I tried both the Statistic (didn’t handle zero values) and the Rieman (a method of approximations) integrations and both proved to be much less accurate.

If you are in any doubt, just give it a try and compare the the other methods and a measured value.

I don’t think you get my point, either.
It’s not a matter of method, it’s a matter of how the averaging component you are using work, as far as the code told me.

But whatever, it works for you, all fine.

So which method did you use when you tried the Riemann integration?

FWIW, after looking at the code, Rieman is effectively doing sum of averages, as I did in grafana without knowing.

The difference being that the integration is doing average between 2 consecutive state changes, at least with trapezoidal method, rather than between fixed durations, and that the sum is ever-increasing, so it has “dynamic” limits, so to speak.

With left, only the old state is considered, so going from 1000 to 0 will give 1000 for that interval
With right, only the new state is considered, so going from 1000 to 0 will give 0 for that interval

The left method is recommended for “on”/“off” type of consumption because it is assumed that when you get the “off” state, i.e. 0, the actual usage during the last interval was actually 1000.
On the contrary, when you go ton “on” / 1000, it is assumed the consumption was actually 0 during the interval.

That’s what I understand, at least :wink:

Good explanation and why I asked the OP, twice, which method was chosen (because it definitely influences the result).

Hello,
Thank you for your method of calculation. However, I have a quick question as I am new to using HA. Where should I place the calculation information you refer to?

• ‘platform: average
    name: ‘Device Average Power’
    start: ‘{{now (). replace (hour = 0) .replace (minute = 0) .replace (second = 0)}}’
    end: ‘{{now ()}}’
    entities: sensor.device_power’

• ‘device_energy:
    value_template: "{{’% 0.2f’ | format (states (‘sensor.device_average_power’) | float / 1000 * (now (). hour + now (). minute / 60))}}"
    unit_of_measurement: “kWh”’

• ‘platform: average
    name: ‘device 5min Average Power’
    duration: minutes: 5
    entities: sensor.device_power’

Thanks for your reply.
Richard

Funny, I created a german video about this topic a week ago: Umwandlung Watt in Verbrauch pro Stunde - YouTube

1 Like

Hi rikray02

Sorry for delay, I’ve been busy elsewhere.

That snippet of code should be placed in the sensors.yaml file.

The devices

device_average_power
device_power
device_5min_average_power

will then be available (after a restart) as sensors on the entities card for example ie.

sensor.device_average_power 

hope this helps

That was a good one, thank you!

I think i understand that this but of code goes in the sensors.yaml

device_energy:
        value_template: "{{ '%0.2f'|format(states('sensor.device_average_power')|float / 1000 * (now().hour + now().minute/60)) }} " 
        unit_of_measurement: "kWh"

Where does this bit of code go? Is it in the configuration.yaml?

name: 'Device Average Power '
1 Like

The code also goes in the sensors.yaml

i simply have this:

---
# Power Consumption in Watt, kWh to W
#
#
sensor:
  name: Power Consumption (W)
  unit_of_measurement: "W"
  icon: "hass:lightning-bolt"
  state: >
    {{ states('sensor.power_consumption')|float * 1000 }}

sensor.power_consumption is in KWH, now sensor.power_consumption_w is in watt

What kind of sensor is it?

The important thing to check is if your sensor provides the power readings with a constant duration between each reading or if the power reading frequency increases with higher power usage?

If you’re getting for example a reading every 2 seconds when your consuming about 400 watts of power and also if you’re getting a reading every half a second when you’re consuming about 4000 watts, you’re in good shape then. It means it’s actually giving you a power reading per every some constant energy usage. This means you can get the exact energy usage your device can mesaure.

Could you explain what kind of sensor it is?