deCONZ - Official thread

Not really related specific to Deconz (I guess), but more to Conbee stick together with Deconz.

I’ve been using the combination pi3 and Conbee for quite some time and once the zigbee network stabilized, I’ve rarely have had issue with nodes becoming unavailable, I’ve got around 50 nodes in total, half of them lights and half sensors.

A few weeks ago I made the move to a nuc and after that I’ve having constant minor issue that nodes are becoming unavailable, they are unavailable for a day or less and them coming back as available again.

I can think of three changes that I’ve made during the same period

1. On the pi I only used an extension cable for the Conbee, not for my Z-wave stick, now on the nuc I’m using extensions for both, so the actual sticks are fairly close to eachother (~5 cm)
  2. The power from the nucs usbs are lower than from the pi and this is causing this behaviour.
  3. I’ve gone from 5 to 25 Plejd units (it’s a scandinavian wall dimmer that creates a bluetooth mesh) and now this mesh is interfeering with the zigbee mesh.

Any ideas here? What should I try to improve this? Earlier the zigbee network was 99% reliable, now I would estimate it to 50%, which is quite frustrating.

Have you tried changing the Zigbee channel?

Nope, I haven’t really started any trouble shooting yet.

What will happen when changing the channel (more than that the channel will change)? I.e will I have to pair all devices again etc?

I don’t think you need to pair them again.

I’ll give it a shot, currently running on 11 so I’m going for 25 (wifi 2.4 is on channel 1). Let’s see if there is a difference.

interference are from other Zigbee, other WiFi and … Bluietooth too, since its the same spectrum

Yeah, challenge is to try to do something about the BT interference since you don’t really have a control of the channel there. So I’m trying the channel change on Zigbee to see if it makes a difference. I’d rather not change the wifi, that I’ve coordinated between the neighbours to get as little interference as possible.

maybe a neighbour at the same time changed wifi channel or to a more powerful router …

Please note that routers with setting to USA have a much more powerful range/interference compared to EU settings (I personally put all my AP to USA Wifi and its much better for the signal, hope my brain will not fry though :smiley:).

If you have WiFI USA settings and live in a not so big environment you can put it to EU settings (even if you live in USA), that should help

One thing I needed to do moving from rpi to computer was to add an USB extension cord.

Other things good to optimize is your selection of channel for wifi and zigbee. There are simple guides for that.

Pöejd is Bluetooth which is the same frequency band as wifi and zigbee but uses much narrower channels I think so I wonder if that affects zigbee

I had the extension already on the pi, so no difference there. Now I’ve moved the sticks to approx 2 meters between them (Z-wave and ZigBee shouldn’t really interfere with eachother, but you never know), changed Deconz to channel 25 and got my 2.4 WiFi running on channel 1, can’t do much about Plejd since it’s BT.

Let’s see how this plays out, if this doesn’t help, I’ll put a powered USB hub between the nuc and Conbee stick.

Hi

Is it possible to use any kind of TRV with the Raspbee ?

I already have the raspbee working with all my lighting and sensors. But i want to control my heating in the house aswell.

Hope someone can help me out here, i would like to not have to buy gateway

Best regards

Climate support for added in 0.89 https://www.home-assistant.io/components/deconz/#climate

The channel change seems to have solved my issues, but for anyone else that is thinking about doing this. Be prepared that all battery operated units have to be woken up before they will be online again and make sure that all powered units are connected otherwise those have to be removed and then added again.

2 Likes

I don’t know if this is the correct place to ask, but has anyone got deCONZ talking to the Hue iOS app (older one) or the one I use all the time iConnectHue

Running on a standalone Pi latest Rasbian, deCONZ v2.05.59 firmware version 262F0500.

I think it should work, someone has mentioned that you need to run deconz on port 80 to get it working

1 Like

Thanks @Robban - I think I am running it on port 80 - is that the same as the phoscon app?

If deconz/phoscon runs on port 80 it should work

1 Like

Thanks. It is - I have looked on GitHub and it seems a couple of people are having similar issues with Hue App and Alexa as well (since the latest version), so hopefully a future fw update may fix it.

1 Like

Hi!

I finally got deCONZ working on my Synology. Took a very long time to figure out how to get the ConBee to show, but eventually, I found a guy saying to SSH and do this:
sudo insmod /lib/modules/usbserial.ko
sudo insmod /lib/modules/ftdi_sio.ko

Somehow, that worked.

So after that I tried to join some stuff in deCONZ. I have some Xiaomi things lying around so figured I would start by them.

I joined an Aqara window/door sensor which shows up fine in deCONZ, and the open/close sensor also shows in Home Assistant. However in deCONZ it appears that this sensor has a temperature sensor as well?:

Afterwards I tried joining a Xiaomi switch, but it does not seem to work in Home Assistant. It only shows up as a battery sensor, for how much battery is left on it:

Anyone that can help me understand what is going on? :slight_smile:

Read the docs