deCONZ - Official thread

I would also try to remove electrically last 3 bulbs you’included and delete them. Maybe one of them is poisonning your mesh.
Also, do you use an usb extention cable(recommanded if your conbee is next to your router) or if used with rpi4?
I know you already have strong XP with more than 100 lights and we don’t know your config so you surely already know about « best practices »

double checked, same port :frowning:

switched around the wifi/zigbee channels w/o any luck. i also removed the three bulbs i just added before the reboot which was a good idea - but no luck.

no extension but its not that close to the router/not using an rpi.

more ideas are welcome, im willing to go to the ends of this earth before crawling all the tight spaces where i would try to get my all my bulbs reset/named/grouped/scened

And have you checked this -> https://github.com/home-assistant/hassio-addons/blob/9b4eab70912d508539b141f8e4e1da90d1da3b7a/deconz/README.md#troubleshooting

Thanks Burningstone. I’ll test out later.

Are historical events saved in HA? I tried in the logs page, but it doesn’t have filter.

Does your bulbs work normally in phoscon but not in HA or does it fail in both cases ?

Not sure if this is releated or not… after last update for deconz I lost half of my switches. They did not work from HA but some of them from the deconz addon. Tried also to reboot both HA and deconz addon no help. But good thing they where off :slight_smile: not on. Anyways, I left them as they were, overnight next morning they worked again as they should. I guess there could have been somekind of re-generates of the zigbee network.

Maybe @Robban or @frenck have genius idea’s. I feel your pain, and the desperation is noticable.

Normally i dont tag these guys, but trying to help you out here.

Have you done any updates to your OS? Could be that something was deprecated and got deleted or updates installed with a version of nginx not compatible.

I believe it’s a nginx issue… you need to allow loopback.

Maybe

Install deconz outside of HASSIO (under Debian or Ubuntu). And then use phoscon app.
You can fix it in 15 minutes at the most.

I personally have the above setup (NOT the deconz hassio addon) and link deconz to HASSIO via integration.

When shit happens I use phoscon app

Sounds to me that the device has a different path after the restart, there is supposed to be a way to bind them but I only run hass core and deconz in standalone docker so can’t support on add-on issues.

@Vasco

1 Like

thank you guys so much, no cigar tho :frowning:

defeated. all night ive been at this and my eyes are bleeding.

guess what, i havent made any progress. i decided to try to divert from HA’s integration of deconz considering what ive just gone through and install the stand alone version of deconz on my ubuntu server.

five hours ive been at this but i cant get it to work. the machine wont even boot. as soon as ive installed deconz - as per the instructions provided on the official site,
i get an error message saying
“A start job is running for Wait for X to be Configured” where X switches between Network/Accout Service/Authorization Manager and it displays the elapsed time but never boots.

Also tried the “headless version”

but it sends me right to the same ditch.

I know that is i who fall short in terms of patience, knowledge and experience but i am entitled to an opinion.

I hate linux - you were born with it, molded by it. I didnt see it until i was already a man.

I will go get my hue remote and a case of redbull, about to reset 128 lights. Dont worry about me ive got https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/ on speed dial

Try this deconz docker image, easy to install and it works perfectly.

1 Like

You are on the right track

I also run my Home Assistant on a machine running Ubuntu.

And it is really easy to install deConz from their repository using Apt.

There are a few small details you need to know and the documentation from Dresden omits the little bits of information that you need to understand what you are doing

There are two ways to run deConz.

You can run it as a daemin in the background.
Or you can run it as a graphical application with user interface which require that your Ubuntu has a desktop environment to run in. It should be possible to start a background minimal graphical task under VNC like the HA Addon does. But I never bothered.

In everyday life you need to run the daemon which takes care of the the API between Home Assistant (or other hubs) and the Conbee stick. It also contains the little webserver that can serve the Phoscon app for you. Phoscon is a web application that runs in your browser and it does not requires an X environment.

The graphical deConz application is only really needed when you need to debug connection problems between units, or you need to OTA IKEA sensors. So in 99.9 % of the time you do not need it.

So here is how I run deConz.

I have installed it using apt. I use the beta releases because they are quite stable and that is where you get the support for the latest devices. It is also the version that is used in the Addon

deConz comes with two different systemd startup scripts.
deconz.service
deconz-gui.service

If you try to enable the deconz-gui to start at boot it hangs if there is no graphical environment running.
So if you want that started you need to set things up so the server boots all the way into a GUI environment and then starts. I advice not to do that

Instead just enable the deconz.service and run the basic daemon.

If you need to run the graphical deconz program (and for this you need a desktop environment installed) you simply stop deconz with systemctl stop deconz
In your desktop menu system you should find the deconz GUI program that you can then start. And then you can do your business. And when done you close the GUI program and start the daemon again with systemctl start deconz

When you only need to do this 2-3 times per year it is not really a problem. And while the GUI is running all your deconz stuff is working so it is only a few seconds of interruption of service this gives.

I actually had a problem also with the standard deconz daemon. In 1 of 5 restarts my deconz would hang during boot being in a race condition with another systemd network related task that would not start. I found a fix for this.

In /lib/systemd/system/ you find deconz-init.service. I copied this to /etc/systemd/system/deconz-init.service (which makes this the one used) and modified it to this

[Unit]
Description=deCONZ: ZigBee gateway -- Initialisation
After=network.target
Requires=network.target

[Service]
Type=oneshot
ExecStart=/usr/bin/deCONZ-init.sh
StartLimitInterval=600

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

If you are currently stuck as boot then the medicine is to do a safe boot to a terminal and do a systemctl disable deconz-gui and enable plain deconz instead. And if it is deconz then just disable the service in safe mode. Reboot. Do the mod I suggest above. And then boot again.

1 Like

No need for that. Can you just make a Linux server? Do you have a spare pi3 (this in case your existing HASSIO machine is on HASSOS on the pi3 so you can’t install anything else)? Follow great Kenneth guide and you are set in 15 minutes at the most

BTW the Hue bridge holds only 50 device (?), so you would need 3 Hue hubs, and if I am not mstaken they will use different spectrum, so you will start to have huge problems with interference … a single case of redbull will not be enough :smile:

Try Ubuntu desktop

I saw it (programmed it) above 50 for the first time … and it gets frustrating, but after some time (2 years in my case :smiley:), now its (almost) no mistery anymore, in the sense that you are not clueless anymore, and know at least where to look to find answers

great I had similar problem (but since was 1 out of 10 restarts I never bothered to understand why). Will copy your fix. Thanks!

I am running docker using image marthoc/deconz.
This container is constantly using around 5% of CPU even when there is no activity at all. I have 3 lights and 4 buttons connected but none of them has any activity. Below are some of the logs. Are there some settings I can do to reduce the CPU usage? I have several other containers running on the same server, most of them have less than 1% while idling except this one.

deconz         | 09:29:33:788 Current channel 15
deconz         | 09:29:33:796 Device TTL 4678 s flags: 0x7
deconz         | 09:29:38:795 GW firmware version: 0x264a0700
deconz         | 09:29:38:795 GW firmware version is up to date: 0x264a0700
deconz         | 09:30:33:791 Current channel 15
deconz         | 09:30:33:799 Device TTL 4618 s flags: 0x7
deconz         | 09:31:33:791 Current channel 15
deconz         | 09:31:33:799 Device TTL 4558 s flags: 0x7
deconz         | 09:31:34:519 Announced to internet https://phoscon.de/discover
deconz         | 09:32:33:789 Current channel 15
deconz         | 09:32:33:797 Device TTL 4498 s flags: 0x7
deconz         | 09:33:33:790 Current channel 15
deconz         | 09:33:33:798 Device TTL 4438 s flags: 0x7
deconz         | 09:33:38:797 GW firmware version: 0x264a0700
deconz         | 09:33:38:797 GW firmware version is up to date: 0x264a0700
deconz         | 09:33:48:774 remove outdated neighbor 0x3789
deconz         | 09:34:33:787 Current channel 15
deconz         | 09:34:33:795 Device TTL 4378 s flags: 0x7
deconz         | 09:35:33:788 Current channel 15
deconz         | 09:35:33:796 Device TTL 4318 s flags: 0x7
deconz         | 09:36:33:788 Current channel 15
deconz         | 09:36:33:796 Device TTL 4258 s flags: 0x7
deconz         | 09:37:33:789 Current channel 15
deconz         | 09:37:33:797 Device TTL 4198 s flags: 0x7
deconz         | 09:37:38:794 GW firmware version: 0x264a0700
deconz         | 09:37:38:794 GW firmware version is up to date: 0x264a0700

as you saw from above posts I run Deconz on bare betal on the same server as Home Assistant which runs in the standard Supervised Docker environment.

My server is a modest spec’ed Intel NUC with a dual core Celeron.

The CPU load of the two Deconz process is constantly 5-10 % of CPU.

So it is quite normal.

Thanks. I’m not alone.

It maybe consider normal for Deconz, I think it seems not doing a good job. What is it doing while most of idling (three lights are not powered, 4 buttons no clicks at all)? constantly using 5% of CPU is actually very high.

Nope, updated and reimported dimmers into deconz last night (6.1.1.28573) and I still get red light when first pressing button.