Devices unavailable

So I have a Phillips Hue wall dial that I was trying to integrate into my Zigbee network. And while it integrated, there is next to no functionality that I can see. So from what I read I needed to use Zigbee2MQTT to make this work. So I went ahead and began that process. After I got it going, I was informed that I could not use ZHA and Z2M on the same coordinator. At this time I also noticed all of my Zigbee devices became “unavailable”, which I’m assuming is due to me messing with the coordinator and Z2M. So I reconfigure the coordinator and restart HA. While my Zigbee coordinator recognizes all of my devices, the are all still considered “unavailable” and I’m not sure what to do at this point. Thoughts?

Most likely your PAN or ePAN changed when you migrated over to Z2M. There’s really not much to do besides re-pair your devices in whichever software controller you want to use (ZHA or Z2M) as your hardware coordinator is now trying to serve this new mesh network.

This happens pretty often when migrating between ZHA and Z2M and it’s largely because Z2M, by default, tries to create a new PAN/ePAN for the coordinator and there’s very little documentation on how to keep your existing PAN/ePAN (at least not that I’ve seen).

Disclaimer: I could be wrong, but I don’t think I am. If anyone else has suggestions, I’d wait for them before you jump into re-pairing your devices. You might also want to jump on the Discord channel to see if anyone else might have better ideas.

1 Like

I was really hoping I could avoid re-pairing… Damn. I typically don’t have too much luck on the Discord, but I’ll give it a shot. Thank you.

1 Like

Yeah, it hurts every time I have to type that.

I had to go through it a few months ago when I moved my Z2M instance to a new server and forgot to copy over the config file with the PAN settings before I spun up the new instance. I had to re-pair 100+ devices in a single evening… in the rain and cold for my outdoor sensors and stuff. I was MISERABLE.

And I thought I had it bad with my 26 devices… Where is the config file with the PAN settings? I don’t even know what PAN settings are.

In ZHA, I have no idea. In Z2M, it’s in the configuration.yaml file and if you copy the configuration file before starting the service, the PAN will stay the same. Otherwise, a new PAN is generated when the service starts and assigns it to the coordinator.

PAN stands for Personal Area Network (ePAN adds extended to that). Basically, every Zigbee mesh is a PAN and has a unique identifier that is assigned between the software controller and the hardware coordinator.

Got it, that makes sense. I feel like I should just migrate to Zigbee2MQTT due to the flexibility of it. Especially since my network is growing with devices as well as having a device that doesn’t seem to integrate with ZHA very well.

1 Like

Fyi, you were seeing next to no functionality for the hue tap dial because it relies on events.

There’s loads of ready made blueprints in the blueprint exchange section of this forum for this device using ZHA or Z2Mqtt.

1 Like

There’s one for ZHA? I couldn’t find one myself.

Might be because you were searching for “wall dial” instead of “tap dial”.
Here you go (in no particular order):