Disable Bluetooth

How do I disable bluetooth in hassio? To uninstall the add-on did not really help.

There is an issue with deconzo look for the ConBee stick at /dev/ttyAMA0 that should be the bluetooth if I understod it right. So I need to deactivate bluetooth, any now know how to do it?

Edit /boot/config.txt

Disable Bluetooth adding the line

dtoverlay=pi3-disable-bt

1 Like

How do I do that? I can’t find /boot anywhere

I havn’t tried it with hass.io. My guess is that you either have to enable the debug mode (https://developers.home-assistant.io/docs/en/hassio_debugging.html) so that you can ssh into the host OS (not the HA container), or you can take out the SD card to see if it is accessible from your ‘PC’. I would try the second option first.

1 Like

Thanks, i found the file and added the text but i did not solve the issue for me.

I’m using the Aeotec Zwave stick without any issue. I also use Bluetooth (not BLE), but no Wifi.

Could you advice me, how to find config.txt in Hassio?

I have had HASS running over Raspbian up to now, so it was easy. I have changed to the latest Hass,io during the week-end and I cannot find the file on Hass.io.
Actually, I have Raspberry Pi Zero W, it has a Broadcomm Wifi/BLE chip that has a known problem of hanging up every few days (the same with Pi 3+, though they seem to be more stable to me). Disabling BLE and using an USB dongle if bluetooth is needed, fixes the problem (OK, it hangs up every few month).

1 Like

Hey i have same problem, can you please help me :slight_smile:

Hi. I am also looking into reusing the /dev/ttyAMA0 in my default home assistant Raspberry image - to make use of the RazBerry 7 Pro (as it comes with an antenna for extended range) on a Raspberry PI 4. Is there any advice how to disable the onboard Bluetooth to free up the address for serial via GPIO?

Why does this exact conversation always seem to end here? Every thread (not only on this forum) gets to that point but the proper method for disabling onboard bluetooth for z-wave to use /dev/ttyAMA0 without disabling the potential of using a bluetooth dongle stops at a dangling question and no solution.

Is the config.txt edit the way to go about it?
-or will this prevent a dongle from functioning?

Or should we use bluetoothctl?
-if so, what is the proper command?
-how should one refer to the onboard device in the command syntax?
-will this method survive reboots and updates?

Personally I just installed Home Assistant Yellow and likewise am trying to configure a RazBerry 7 Pro (which has been tested and confirmed to work per an email response I received from the developer when I initially purchased the unit). There’s no /boot directory visible within the Home Assistant terminal, so I’m presuming that if the config.txt method is the way to go, that I’ll need to make the edit on the usb flash installer drive and factory reset the Yellow to reinstall the OS.

The lack of direction and documentation on this is astounding. Can anybody please clear this up?

2 Likes

I agree, I did end up finding it, when using putty, under /mnt/boot there is the config.txt file, and you can edit it with vi

1 Like

I had to reinstall hone assistant today due to a failing SD card. Changed it for an SSD.
To disable Bluetooth just add this line to the config.txt of the Boot partition. (RPI4)

# Disable Bluetooth
dtoverlay=disable-bt

The most easy way is to connect the storage directly with your computer.

If you are on MacOS and are using HASSIO and can’t easily mount the boot partition I recommend using the SSH approach.
(I needed to do this in order to get my RaspBee 2 to work)

1. Follow these steps to get an ssh acces to the host
    https://developers.home-assistant.io/docs/operating-system/debugging/

2. SSH onto the host (port 22222)

3. Execute the following command to append the line into the config.txt
    echo $'\n# Disable Bluetooth\ndtoverlay=disable-bt\n' >> /mnt/boot/config.txt

4. Verfiy that the line has been written
    cat /mnt/boot/config.txt

5. Reboot the host
    reboot

Hope this helps somebody :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Yes! After hours of debugging this finally worked. I just migrated from SD to SSD and suddenly my Razberry Z-wave stopped working. Took a while before I recall you needed to disable bluetooth. I used this add-on, but had forgotten to disable safe mode.

This worked pefectly. Took a bit of time before I understood the process. Basically, follow the link https://developers.home-assistant.io/docs/operating-system/debugging/ and then come back here. The steps to go through are:
1 format a USB drive
2 generate new SSH key
3 add SSH key to the ssh-agent on your mac
4 copy file to USB drive and rename it
5 insert USB into your Raspberry Pi 4
6 use offecial SSH add on to load SSH
7 use Mac terminal to SSH into raspberry on port 22222
8 execute command
9 reboot and remove USB drive from raspberry.
10 Finished. Use as normal!

Hopefully this will help if you are lost, like I was initially.

After this, I was able to install and use the Zooz 800 Series Z-Wave Long Range GPIO Module ZAC93 LR

Trying to disable bluetooth to get the Zooz 800 Series Z-Wave Long Range GPIO Module ZAC93 LR to work on a Pi 4.

Before I give the above sequence a go, just wanted to sanity check

Why couldn’t we just create an installation of Raspberry Pi lite, update the config file, then remove and boot back into Home Assistant?

I assume the answer is “because it doesn’t work that way” but just wanted to ask.

Thanks for this @r3vela710n

A couple questions:
Step 3 - add SSH key to ssh-agent on your Mac - Is this an optional step to make sure you don’t lose the key?

After step 5 - do you reboot your HA/Pi with the usb inserted?

Step 6 - use official SSH add on to load SSH - What does “load SSH” mean?

Thank you!