Disk almost full

Do what @anon34565116 suggests and post back the results. I was just making a general observation.

The prune command doesn’t result in extra disk space now. I will use the commands to find out where the disk space is used.

1 Like

It was a good observation. I was just saying how to reclaim that space. Mu cheap Docker training is good for something, I guess :wink:

1 Like

My thinking was that instead of updating, the Docker was being installed on each attempt to update. Again I’ve only installed the Docker in the last couple of days on a test rig to see what all the fuss was about but to be honest I haven’t even looked at it yet.

Docker normally just downloads a new image when upgrading. The older ones are still there but stopped unless Hassio has a cleanup job.

Docker system prune cleans up 0b

I still don’t understand how to figure out where my diskspace (32Gb) is consumed. At the beginnen the percentage was very low, all of a sudden quite high, but stable it seems.

Ik believe it could be something in the Unifi Controller. I an compacting my database, and disk usage seems to decrease now.

The total of images is 4.1Gb out of the 32Gb SD card:

The hass.io snapshots have a tendency to grow faster and faster.
The entire database file is always part of it and a lot of logs etc. It does not take many snapshots to consume quite many gigabytes

Thanks for the response @KennethLavrsen. I have a sync to dropbox regarding the snapshots. How can I clean up hassio and free up disk space?

With respect to snapshot. They take place if you copy them to Dropbox and still leave a copy behind on HA. You have to delete them from the HA machine. How many old snapshots do you have?

They are stored in /backup seen from inside hassio. And you can delete them one by one from the HA user interface. In my HA each backup snapshot is 50 Mbytes so just 20 of those and a gigabyte is gone.

1 Like

I only have one backup left (deleted manually):

Disk size remains the same it seems

When I perform the df-h command, I have this output (showing) my 91% usage:

I really cannot get a hold on where it is coming from (been through the directories), but cannot find it. Maybe it is one level up and I am looking in a container now?

If you run du -h --max-depth=1 in the root directory ( / ) it should show you which directory is taking up so much space. For instance, if you see the directory /var taking up 23Gb, then run the same command inside of the /var directory to see where it is inside of that one.

While it is an overly manual process, this will atleast show you which directory or directories are taking up so much space. From there you can narrow down your troubleshooting to see why something like multiple dockers or your log files (both just examples) are eating up so much space.

Thanks for your response @jeffwcollins, much appreciated. Somehow the command --max-depth=1 is not supported

If I run this command, the output is as follows (I still do not see where the space is going):

Your /var directory should be MUCH bigger than that, with the assumption that your dockers are hosted under there.

df might not be traversing your running images, but to check, try running:
docker system df -v

Output of this command:

One more suggestion to the reference above. Can you add “-a” to the docker system prune command?

That will prune all images that doesn’t have at least one container tied to it. In layman, it prunes a bit deeper than the standard docker system prune command.

1 Like

That worked a little bit @jeffwcollins , now 85% usage instead of 93%, so there is more apparently

Still got a 23Gb somewhere

Are you running these commands via ssh or via the host itself? If via ssh, your “du” commands are coming from the ssh docker container and not the actual usage of the host.

I am executing these commands via SSH. Hassio is running on a Pi, I actually don’t know how to connect directly to the host.

Here you go, this will help get you to the HOST OS, and not just SSH’ing into the docker container.

I am by NO means a pro at Hassio, so forgive me for redirecting you to another post about this, but I have been a lurker for years, and have picked up a thing or two about the systems. Also know a bit about docker, so that helps, but again don’t take this as punting you to another person/post, it just explains it better than I can.

1 Like