DIY Zigbee 4x DS18B20 temperature measurement

Why is my format like this mqtt,Can I see your vtvo expert

I don’t think the z2m converter supports P17, see Custom devices (DiY) ptvo.switch control via MQTT | Zigbee2MQTT

There are data, but the subject is wrong. Can you help me check it

Hi there,
sorry for late reply, I’m not so used to come to community forum… an Italian guy developed a custom zigbee device, I use this since few months and it’s working so good, link it here:

This is exactly what I was look for!
Just to make sure I have the correct stuff selected before I purchase,

Are these the correct items?
How many sensors can the board handle, is 4 max? 4 is enough for my needs just curious.

(I already have the programmer from previous projects when I started with Zigbee and the regular cheap coordinator stick many have used, as long as it’s the same needed here but I guess it is)

EDIT

Guess a battery box

Might be a nice touch also, any idea how long a setup with 4 sensors will run on 2 x AA batteries?

A bit of vero board. Personally not sure of power supply needed.

Vero board, good input but already ordered, have some breadboards I can use temporarily for this.

The power supply struck me after I ordered… will only get 3V from 2 x AA batteries and the DS18B20 seem to need a minimum of 3.0V to function according to https://datasheets.maximintegrated.com/en/ds/DS18B20.pdf so probably need to rethink my power since those AAs quite fast will drop below 3.0V I guess.

EDIT

Ended up getting these

So I finally got all the stuff and took the time to build it tonight, all worked fine until I wanted to detect the HEX-ID from the sensors, I can at a maximum see 3 devices (trying to connect 5 in total).

I have done all I can think of, checked all soldering, re-soldered… replaced DS18B20 sensors, connected more / less, re-flashed the CC2530 several times but whatever I do I can only see 3 devices in the logs of Zigbee2mqtt (skipped the MQTT Explorer part since they are visible in the log anyway)

So, any ideas what could be wrong?

Edit even tho I did not send it yet…

So, I had this message saved and did not post it, I finally found the solution… I have no clue why but it works like this for me.

5 sensors connected, I can only see 3.
After many attempts I just decide to program those in and re-flash the CC2530
Next boot I can see the 3 programmed ones and 1 new…
Re-flash with the 3 I had before plus the new one.
Next boot I see the 4 programmed and 1 new…

Once more re-flash with att 5 programmed and all works… spent like 7-8 hours trying to get this to work… FML.

Second edit…

So, I have sensors that are showing data as expected, however they are not seen as temperature senors, I tried to follow the instructions from the first post in this thread but when I added that to my configuration.yaml I got a error message that this will stop working in HA 2022.12 so I removed it and have now spent another hour trying to get that to work but no luck… does anyone have a working setup of this that will not break in 2022.12…? hopefully someone can shine some light on how to add the sensors correctly.

So next morning, some coffee and a few hours later of reading more documentation and more trial and error I now think I have it working correctly.

What I did was to delete the sensors that was automatically created in MQTT after Zigbee2mqtt created them (sorry if I explain this wrong), I then made my own in configuration.yaml with this code.

mqtt:
  sensor:
    - name: 'Boiler Zig Probe 1'
      state_topic: 'zigbee2mqtt/0x00124b0023a8b86e'
      unit_of_measurement: "°C"
      value_template: "{{ value_json.l1 | round(1) }}"
      unique_id: sensor.0x00124b0023a8b86e.l1

- name: 'Boiler Zig Probe 2'
      value_template: "{{ value_json.l2 | round(1) }}"
      unique_id: sensor.0x00124b0023a8b86e.l2

- name: 'Boiler Zig Probe 3'
      value_template: "{{ value_json.l3 | round(1) }}"
      unique_id: sensor.0x00124b0023a8b86e.l3

- name: 'Boiler Zig Probe 4'
      value_template: "{{ value_json.l4 | round(1) }}"
      unique_id: sensor.0x00124b0023a8b86e.l4

- name: 'Boiler Zig Probe 5'
      value_template: "{{ value_json.l5 | round(1) }}"
      unique_id: sensor.0x00124b0023a8b86e.l5

If this is correct and will work after HA 2022.12 I have no clue, the error message does not show again after I clicked “Ignore” on it once so I guess time will tell, if someone sees something wrong let me know! :slight_smile:

Edit… a few days later

So, after my first test run I can inform anyone trying to build this (keep in mind I used 5 sensors) that it lasted around 9-10 hours on a 18650 cell charged to 3.6V (still waiting on my DC-DC converter), in other words I need to look into the premium version of PTVO since that allows the following,

“* It allows you to create battery-powered DIY devices with effective power management.”

I can also as a tip mention that

This part ( 0x00124b0023a8b86e ) of that code is the friendly name of the device in zigbee2mqtt, so if you rename it in Z2M like I did… you need to also change the configuration.yaml to reflect that, wasted a few hours on that last night also :slight_smile:

Edit 14.11.2022 (since I have posted the last 3 posts in a row I am not allowed to post again :slight_smile: before someone else does )

So today I took the time to look into “Model ID” in PTVO, after reading up on it I added my own, saved a custom converter for Z2M and uploaded it to “config/zigbee2mqtt/” after that I edited “config/zigbee2mqtt/configuration.yaml” and added my custom convert.

external_converters:
  - your_custom_convert_here.js

After this I removed the old sensor, restarted HA (seems some data i still there otherwise and the sensor does not get removed completely, if added again before reboot it keeps old model ID and other variables… guess it has something to do with how addons work in HA or something maybe, a restart of Z2M might be enough but I rebooted to be on the safe side)

Once rebooted I flashed the sensor again with my new firmware (I did btw get a license for PTVO to be able to make my sensor a PSM model, absolutely worth it! great software so happy to support the developer) and added it to Z2M, the wonderful thing about the custom convert is that the sensor gets added like any other “of the shelf” supported sensor since it gets recognized by the custom convert, so no more need to add the sensor via custom code for MQTT :+1: everything just works much smoother!

2 Likes

Is this working with SLS Gateway?

Hi Thomas, Would you be able to share this layout / gerber files with me?

Can anyone share RF programmer exe? I cannot download it from Texas Instrument site. I cannot login at all.

Here is a an overview of the flashing options: Flashing the CC2531 USB stick | Zigbee2MQTT

Well, I’ve managed to flash the CC2530 with cc-tool, but the board doesn’t boot. It was for a moment present in MQTT, but after reflashing with sensor IDs the board doesn’t boot. Sometimes it’s hard to flash, because of the Operation timed out or Pipe error.
I honestly think that the board is ripped, otherwise I don’t know what I’m doing wrong.

this looked like a really nice project. So I got the Dallas sensors and a CC2530. Then realized that the CC Debugger is a physical device and not some software.
Now I have a raspberry pi here, and hoped I could use that instead.
Was looking at Alternative flashing methods | Zigbee2MQTT
but the cheap CC2530 I have here only has 4 pins, GND, RX, TX, VCC
there is a manual for connection with those:
Connecting the CC2530 | Zigbee2MQTT
but I don’t get further from there either, can’t find a data/configuration.yaml file.
any hints for this bloody beginner?

for the record, 3 weeks later, I managed to get this to work.
Eventually I found this pinout of my DL-20 CC2530 module for flashing: zigbee/_zigbee/Hexin_DL-20.md at 4218ebba56cb644d5340b33481e34d0490b55ac9 · blakadder/zigbee · GitHub
Ended up using staples for that, the Dupont connectors were to big.
There was some trouble with the library.so when installing wiringPi, it worked with an older OS version on the Pi, I think, 32bit.
Then my soldering/wiring wasn’t ideal, ended up using connectors.
Also, when pairing a reflashed device, the Z2M add-on needs first to be restartet.
Output is TX is P03, good for 4 Dallas sensors.
Oh, and Z2m works fine here on the conbee2 so far, instead of the deconz add-on I was using before.
I use 3x 1,5V AA batteries. Somehow I have to touch the module for it to start.
Good luck everyone, or better, I hope you find the right info on time!

At the moment when I connect temperature sensors, how do I connect power and sensors? Do I need to combine VСС connectors? Is it necessary to combine the GND connectors? If not, to which VCC should the sensors be connected, and to which GND should the power be connected? Thanks a lot!

VCC is the power connection of the CC2530 board, all VCC pins are connected. Like wise all the GND pins are connected.

1 Like

Those following this thread may be interested in this

very interesting,Thnx