Dominator garage door connecting to Home Assistant - New Zealand

Hi’ya all,

Home assistant newbie here!
We are building a new house and we are getting a Dominator Garage door.
Any fellow kiwis out here who has managed to connect them to their Home Assistant?
T.a.

Cheers,
Liz

1 Like

Maybe try and hook it to your alarm as an alaarm output/input…and then get home assistant to monitor that.

Otherwise you’d need some sort of remote relay (shelly, sonoff, zwave) added to close the contacts on the door controller.

While I don’t have a dominator door, I had mine hooked up to my paradox alarm that I have control of viw mqtt (with homekit/home assistant and openhab control) - that is able to send the door open command.

There’s also the question of door state which can be a seperate reed switch. I know domianator does sell a wifi kit for it, but whether someone has integrated that into any home automation software would be the question.

1 Like

Hello fellow kiwis.

What model Dominator? Often they have simple connections that, when shorted out, cycle the door between open/stop/close/stop/open (and so on).

You then also need some sensors to tell when the door is open or closed or in between.

Put it all together with esphome and Bob’s your uncle.

You can also use a distance sensor to guess if the car is in there.

There are commercial tools though like opengarage which do much the same thing.

I am not sure about whether Dominator have a commercial addon - they probably do, but it’ll cost more than it is worth, and store your data on the internet.

I’ve got the Shelly 1 and have done the initial wiring for it with the 12v adapter. Followed The Hook Up video on YouTube. But I just don’t know what terminals to wire it into for the Dominator garage door opener.

What is the opener? They often have a model name on the opener device inside the garage.

The model is the Advance SDO-2V2

There is a manual here showing the O/S/C connections https://www.bnd.com.au/media/1989/sdo-2-v2-instruction-manualv-101.pdf

Have taken a photo and it looks like the wire from the wall switch is in the O/S/C terminal.
So would I just add the Shelly I & O cable to that terminal?

Correct. You should be able to just wire it in parallel so you can still use the button.

Cheers Nick! Will give it a shot.

How did you go SuperHans? I’ve got a similar garage door and have begun my journey. I’m wondering if you have any lessons for those following in your footsteps :smile:

Any updates on this @SuperHans ? I’ve also begun this wonderful/confusing journey to home automation.

Hi @KM22 @damiendry.

Apologies for not seeing this earlier. Only got 1 notification.
So it didn’t go terribly well. I spent the best part of an hour up the ladder getting nowhere.

When I use the screwdriver to push the orange clip, it releases the wire, which is all good.
But then trying to get the wires from the Shelly to fit in as well was extremely difficult.
I just couldn’t get the clip to “bite” onto all the wires so everything would hold in place.

Then when I thought I had it, nothing worked at all. Wall switch included. So I just gave up, spent another 30 mins getting the wall switch wires back in the O/S/C clip, and the Shelly has been sitting on the workbench since.

1 Like

The dominator’s look just like B&D garage doors, right down to the manuals (I presume they’re rebranded for the local market).

Rather than trying to jam the wires into a small terminal block, trying using something like this

https://www.jaycar.com.au/3-way-wago-splice-terminal-block/p/HM3235?pos=1&queryId=f05ffe1f96f37b010bd0ad82d9d72260&sort=relevance

Hi all, fellow kiwi too. I’ve got a bunch of Shelly 1pm’s and 2.5s wired in but not so familiar with the garage doors, I’ve got some spare shelly 1s lying around and figure it must be pretty easy to wire in here at the wall switch, anyone know where the red/yellow and black/blue go into the shelly?

Would bridging the yellow and blue in this case control the open/close? if so it should be straight forward to put in the shelly

I have a feeling that the shelly puts a voltage across the output pins. However you want what I think they call a “dry” relay that jut shorts the pins.

PS welcome fellow kiwi :slight_smile:

Shelly 1 is a dry contact.

You made me go look at the docs. Quite right!

Another fellow Kiwi here - reviving this in case someone comes searching in future. I’ve automated three roller doors using Shelly 1’s with no issues at all.
All three doors have got battery back-up, so I stole the power from there to run the Shelly. The I and O are connected across O/S/C and the Shelly is set as a momentary switch with a delay of 500ms.
I also de-coupled the Shelly inputs from the switch and have them connected to a reed switch on the door - essentially this all in one can both open and close the door, as well as tell me that it is open or closed!

2 Likes