Drayton Wiser Home Assistant Integration

All my TRVs use the same batteries, all were replaced very recently and all are showing as full in the app.

1 of my TRVs is absolutely unusable now with the horrendous noise that goes on for 90s every time it closes. Another is less bad as it only lasts for a second or so and 2 others are tolerable but definitely making more noise than they used to on the old firmware.

I just found a different brand of batteries in the cupboard, unopened. If I use them instead and recalibrate then it calibrates fine. Switch back to the previous batteries and the calibration results in the grinding noise.

Whatever was changed in the new firmware is now fussier about the battery than before, change it back! I’m not swapping out all my batteries.

Tried calibrating with not fully done up TRV and tightening like suggested, but after being opened by schedule, it doesn’t properly closes again :confused:

Perhaps it was inevitable that, when Wiser staff got involved, this forum would broaden to encompass all Wiser issues rather than specifically Home Assistance Integration. There is definitely a place for both and perhaps it’s time for Drayton/Schneider to consider having their own forum for non-HA feedback, requests and moans.
One issue which is bothering me right now is the outside temp information used by the hub to tweak the heating within the house. As the temperature has started to drop I’m noticing a big discrepancy between the actual outdoor temperature and that showing in the app. Here in my part of Surrey it’s 3C outside but the Wiser app thinks it’s still 8C. There are no internet problems so either the update frequency is too long or the feed is inaccurate. This must have a deleterious effect on the ability of the system to respond quickly and smartly to external temperature changes.

1 Like

I agree that it may be better to report the Wiser only issues via their support pages than on this thread. In my experience so far the Wiser support team are very responsive.

On the weather side, I am also seeing a discrepancy - Wiser app currently shows my local temperature as 6°C whereas BBC weather shows 2°C, Met Office 3°C and AccuWeather shows 1°C. YR.no says 6°C. Perhaps Wiser uses that feed?

It’s cold tonight but Wiser doesn’t think quite so…

Getting back on the HA topic, it would be great if we could use our own sensors to better inform Wiser about the local conditions. Some users will have weather stations!

1 Like

The thread below has a HACS integration that gets the geo data. I have this up and running with my Insights+ Geo hub which works rather well!

@jamiebennett I have one of these heat switches that you guys sent me as a beta test last year, its currently controlling the fan in a hydronic plinth heater.

Is the remote temp sensor input for a 10k NTC? I want to try this on a bathroom floor UFH but the sensors are embedded in the floor and can’t be removed. Does it need a room stat as well?

Doesn’t hydronic plinth heater need a TRV rather than that switch? You need to prevent the hot water flowing to it?

I’ve finally setup this integration so i can get to grips with it after re reading this entire thread again!
I still only have the 2 channel Wiser hub and a roomstat currently, as i’ve not managed to fit my new TRV vales and heads yet, so a pretty basic setup.

I’m trying to get some useful cards setup on my dashboard. For the Hot Water channel - I’m creating some boost buttons for each available duration as well as a cancel boost button. I was hoping that the colour of the icon being used would change based on the boost state, using the custom:button-card. Unfortunately the only state of the Hot Water boost entitiy being reported whether the Hot Water Boost is active or not, is ‘unknown’.
When calling the wiser.boost_hotwater service via the button card, the Hot Water Boost does activate, and is seen in the native Wiser app, but when activated, looking in the Developer Tools in HA, the state of the entity never changes from ‘unknown’

If i want to display whether a Hot Water Boost is active or not, would I need to use a separate card to show the state/icon colour of the sensor.wiser_hot_water sensor instead, as that changes from ‘off’ to ‘on’ according to the relay activation on the hub? I suppose I could include the attribute ‘boost_time_remaining’ and display that under each boost card to show that it is active instead, which sort of achieves the same thing? If anyone has any examples of Hot Water cards that they have setup that would be helpful :slight_smile:

Hi, Have you managed to get gas into the energy dashboard using the integration. Its not working for me. Top tip tho, you can get that Geo smart meter for £10 through the drayton wiser insights plus!

1 Like

Guys,

I think i agree with @dunxd , whilsts its great we have Wiser (unofficial) participation on this thread , we should really be leveraging the Wiser support forum for logging issues outside of the HA Integration. This thread should primarily be here for discussing the HA integration and perhaps a the odd “How does this work”, “any ideas how I can X,Y,Z” etc and not a replacement for Wiser support.

This is the link to Schneider’s support system , https://schneider-electric.zendesk.com/hc/en-gb/

Wisers Official Forum too (thanks @dabb1er) https://community.se.com/t5/Schneider-Electric-Wiser-Forum/bd-p/wiser-forum

2 Likes

There is also an official forum where you can see posts and reply (the other site does not let you see queries / responses).

https://community.se.com/t5/Schneider-Electric-Wiser-Forum/bd-p/wiser-forum

2 Likes

You could use templates to change the colour or icon depending on the value of an attribute of an entity.

Here is the jinja code to detect if the Hot Water is boosted:

{% if state_attr("sensor.wiser_hot_water","is_boosted") == true %}
Boosted
{% else %}
Not boosted
{% endif %}

You can play around with that in the Developer Tools > Templates tab in HA.

I use this sort of template logic with Mushroom Chips Card, but you can use variations of the above pattern in YAML for a dashboard. I like the Chips card for creating groups of little buttons that activate scenes lights etc. and indicate the current status on the chip itself.

Here is code for a Mushroom Chip Card that shows different icons if the hot water is on or off, and colours the icon red if the hot water is boosted. Click on the button to boost by 30 minutes, which will also change the state of the chip/button.

type: custom:mushroom-chips-card
chips:
  - type: template
    entity: sensor.wiser_hot_water
    icon: |-
      {% if states('switch.wiser_hot_water') == 'on' %}
      mdi:water-boiler
      {% else %}
      mdi:water-boiler-off
      {% endif %}
    content: Wiser Hot Water
    icon_color: |-
      {% if state_attr('sensor.wiser_hot_water','is_boosted') == true %}
      red
      {% else %}
      white
      {% endif %}
    tap_action:
      action: call-service
      service: wiser.boost_hotwater
      data:
        time_period: 30

It took a while to get my head around the Jinja2 syntax, and my main gotcha was forgetting to include the {% endif %} line at the end.

Mushroom cards are available in HACS frontend section.

1 Like

Ah I see now, thanks very much for taking the time to explain, and to post the example code, really appreciated :+1:

Some info of interest to the recent discussions:

I bought my original wiser kit in 2018, boiler/water system, room stat, and 2 TRVs. Both those original TRVs failed after 2+ years, the first one just suddenly completely died, would not do anything, and when I investigated it I found that the (new) batteries in it were boiling hot, so it was seriously dead. The second one started to fail soon after that in exactly the manner some others are now reporting - after a calibration, it would correctly completely close the valve, but after subsequently opening once, it would then not close fully so the rad was always hot if the heat was being called for elsewhere. I even mounted the TRV on a spare new valve and tested by blowing through it - after calibrating, it would close completely and I could not blow through it, after actuating once it subsequently did not close again and I could blow through it. I contacted Drayton support separately for both these issues, and after protracted conversations and videos from me, they (at their discretion) replaced both TRVs.

I now have those 2 replacements (nearly 2 years old), and 2 more I just bought a week or so ago, all on the new ea60 firmware, and all working fine.

So - I don’t know why the new firmware seems to be causing problems for some and not others, and the problem of them not closing properly after previously working fine is, I believe, sign of beginning of mechanical failure.

2 Likes

Are you talking about this bug?

If so, it’s possible to use the developer tools in your browser (I managed it in Edge) to tweak the javascript to allow Gas in kwh to be added to the energy dashboard.

For me Geo Together device stopped talking to my gas meter on the 19th November so I haven’t any data. It works fine with electricity, and Octopus is able to show my gas usage so I know the meter still works and sends data regularly. I had thought that this was just me, but it looks like a bunch of people stopped getting gas data around the same time so perhaps something changed at the SMETS level that third parties haven’t caught up with yet?

It seems to be fixed in todays home assistant update, at least it is for me

Hi all. Does anyone know where the secret key is saved? Rebuilding my HA setup and stupidly forgot to make a note of the key when I installed Wiser 6 months ago! Would like to avoid going up into the loft - is it stored somewhere / easily decryptable? Thanks.

@w82 It looks like it is stored in .storage/core.config_entries

{
        "entry_id": "xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx",
        "version": 1,
        "domain": "wiser",
        "title": "WiserHeat123456",
        "data": {
          "host": "192.168.12.30",
          "password": "xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx",
          "name": "WiserHeat123456"
        },