Drayton Wiser Home Assistant Integration

I have weird behaviour of one of my TRVs and batteries are 100%:

• Valve is not closed properly and leaks heat into radiator
  • I recalibrate TRV and can hear how it fully close valve and water flow stops
  • Heat leak is stopped
  • Later on this TRV request heat
  • Once it reaches requested temperature valve is not fully closed and heat starts leaking again
  • Heat leak can be stopped by recalibration but then cycle starts again with next heating request

I’ve freed valve pin as much as possible, it does feel like others in the house. Mind you calibration ALWAYS fully close the valve, but if close is requested by Wiser it leaves it a bit open. I’ve recalibrated and reset this TRV multiple times already.

I’ve recalibrated all my valves since the last firmware update and the issues seem to have stopped an there’s no longer excessive noise when the valve fully closes.

I have noticed this on two of my TRVs also; they don’t seem to be shutting off since the firmware update. I haven’t recalibrated, but nothing has changed other than the firmware version and the batteries are full.

Can you check to see if the valve pin has resistance when you push it?

The new TRV firmware (ea60) is terrible. System worked great for 2 years until the other day when this firmware was deployed to the TRVs.

Now several of them grind against their mechanical end stop when closing. One does this for over 90 seconds.

I’ve an ongoing support ticket about it, that contains videos of the problem. I’ve tried recalibrating them as instructed. That helped with some but they still seem to make more noise (and a lot worse of a noise) than they did on the previous firmware.

I have new valve as spare and compared resistance of new vs old by pressing pin with a finger - both seems to provide similar level of resistance.
And why valve would fully close during calibration, but not normal operation? When I reduce temperature while being next to radiator I can hear valve closing but not fully (still hear water flow), do calibration straight after and it closes fully.

Calibration spends a lot of effort (and uses the battery more) than a normal closure.

Can you tell me what batteries you are using with the troublesome iTRVs.

Hi Jamie,
The overshoots are caused by the TRV not closing fully whilst other rooms are calling for heat, not the boiler firing on its own.
All batteries in all units are brand new duracell I’ve fitted in an attempt to fix this.
TRVs have worked fine until now and pins are not stuck (checked by hand)
Note this happened across a few rooms at the same time, and they appear to be working fine again now. It is/was an issue with the TRV, nothing else.

Regarding wifi issues:
My Hub connection to Wifi is fine and as far as I know, never dropped out.

One of my TRVs has lost connection and not regained it for several hours despite easily being in range of the booster.

Other TRVs in the house that are very close (1 plasterboard wall) to the hub are connecting to the booster (external brick cavity wall + 2 x plasterboard walls away). I’ve tried power cycling devices in various orders to kick it into touch.

If you need anyone to help with diagnosing I have networking experience and WiFi packet capture and spectrum analysis tools and am happy to give any info that can be of use.

Otherwise, glad you are on it and looking forward to the fix!

1 Like

I’ve had a similar issue like mentioned before, the TRV not closing the valve correctly. My trick was to undo a turn the TRV, do a calibration and do the turn back. It solved the issue for a while.

I used Duracell Industrial batteries before.

Just noticed that identify stopped working - tried on 3 different TRVs and none worked. Tried both via Wiser app and HA, can others confirm if this is isolated incident?

All my TRVs use the same batteries, all were replaced very recently and all are showing as full in the app.

1 of my TRVs is absolutely unusable now with the horrendous noise that goes on for 90s every time it closes. Another is less bad as it only lasts for a second or so and 2 others are tolerable but definitely making more noise than they used to on the old firmware.

I just found a different brand of batteries in the cupboard, unopened. If I use them instead and recalibrate then it calibrates fine. Switch back to the previous batteries and the calibration results in the grinding noise.

Whatever was changed in the new firmware is now fussier about the battery than before, change it back! I’m not swapping out all my batteries.

Tried calibrating with not fully done up TRV and tightening like suggested, but after being opened by schedule, it doesn’t properly closes again :confused:

Perhaps it was inevitable that, when Wiser staff got involved, this forum would broaden to encompass all Wiser issues rather than specifically Home Assistance Integration. There is definitely a place for both and perhaps it’s time for Drayton/Schneider to consider having their own forum for non-HA feedback, requests and moans.
One issue which is bothering me right now is the outside temp information used by the hub to tweak the heating within the house. As the temperature has started to drop I’m noticing a big discrepancy between the actual outdoor temperature and that showing in the app. Here in my part of Surrey it’s 3C outside but the Wiser app thinks it’s still 8C. There are no internet problems so either the update frequency is too long or the feed is inaccurate. This must have a deleterious effect on the ability of the system to respond quickly and smartly to external temperature changes.

1 Like

I agree that it may be better to report the Wiser only issues via their support pages than on this thread. In my experience so far the Wiser support team are very responsive.

On the weather side, I am also seeing a discrepancy - Wiser app currently shows my local temperature as 6°C whereas BBC weather shows 2°C, Met Office 3°C and AccuWeather shows 1°C. YR.no says 6°C. Perhaps Wiser uses that feed?

It’s cold tonight but Wiser doesn’t think quite so…

Getting back on the HA topic, it would be great if we could use our own sensors to better inform Wiser about the local conditions. Some users will have weather stations!

1 Like

The thread below has a HACS integration that gets the geo data. I have this up and running with my Insights+ Geo hub which works rather well!

@jamiebennett I have one of these heat switches that you guys sent me as a beta test last year, its currently controlling the fan in a hydronic plinth heater.

Is the remote temp sensor input for a 10k NTC? I want to try this on a bathroom floor UFH but the sensors are embedded in the floor and can’t be removed. Does it need a room stat as well?

Doesn’t hydronic plinth heater need a TRV rather than that switch? You need to prevent the hot water flowing to it?

I’ve finally setup this integration so i can get to grips with it after re reading this entire thread again!
I still only have the 2 channel Wiser hub and a roomstat currently, as i’ve not managed to fit my new TRV vales and heads yet, so a pretty basic setup.

I’m trying to get some useful cards setup on my dashboard. For the Hot Water channel - I’m creating some boost buttons for each available duration as well as a cancel boost button. I was hoping that the colour of the icon being used would change based on the boost state, using the custom:button-card. Unfortunately the only state of the Hot Water boost entitiy being reported whether the Hot Water Boost is active or not, is ‘unknown’.
When calling the wiser.boost_hotwater service via the button card, the Hot Water Boost does activate, and is seen in the native Wiser app, but when activated, looking in the Developer Tools in HA, the state of the entity never changes from ‘unknown’

If i want to display whether a Hot Water Boost is active or not, would I need to use a separate card to show the state/icon colour of the sensor.wiser_hot_water sensor instead, as that changes from ‘off’ to ‘on’ according to the relay activation on the hub? I suppose I could include the attribute ‘boost_time_remaining’ and display that under each boost card to show that it is active instead, which sort of achieves the same thing? If anyone has any examples of Hot Water cards that they have setup that would be helpful :slight_smile:

Hi, Have you managed to get gas into the energy dashboard using the integration. Its not working for me. Top tip tho, you can get that Geo smart meter for £10 through the drayton wiser insights plus!

1 Like