Ecobee Dumped Developer Accounts

I recently switched to HA and received my new Ecobee thermostat today. I got it up and running pretty quick and then went to add it to HA to find out I need an API key. I went to the ecobee site and they said they are no longer creating developer accounts or issuing API key. This was even confirmed with their WhatsApp chat channel. I’m almost debating pulling it off the wall and sending it back. It does work with Apple home… Any suggestions?

Remove the Ecobee thermostat from your genuine Apple Home. Then, simply add it to HA using the “HomeKit Device” integration. This is 100% local, and works very well.

4 Likes

OMG! That worked like a charm! Thank you!!!

1 Like

For those of us on Android, are we SOL?

No iPhone is required to use Home Assistant’s built-in “HomeKit Device” integration. If your Ecobee thermostats support HomeKit (early revisions did not), then HA should discover them on your network and suggest adding them via the HomeKit Device integration.

2 Likes

Wonder if mine is an early one then, 2016 or so. Homekit in HA doesn’t seem to be picking it up. Might be because it’s on a subnetwork? I’ll keep digging, thanks!

That could definitely be part of the issue.

Looks like the Ecobee 3 was their first model to include Apple HomeKit support.

It’s a model 3 - must be the sub network. I’ll move it onto the main network and see what happens :+1:

1 Like

Turns out I just needed to enable it in the thermostat settings - hamburger, gear, settings, homekit, enable.

1 Like

Great! Glad to hear it was an easy fix.