Emulated Hue depending on a specific Echo being online (was: EH not working in 0.61)

There wasn’t any change to emulated_hue, you read it wrong and everything works just as before. The change was quite rightly to Alexa which refers to the Smart Home Skill.

There are quite a few reports of emulated_hue breaking for people. It used to work for me but now it doesn’t

Is emulated hue somehow storing the IP address of one Alexa device?

I had replaced my main Echo device (a Dot) with an Echo Spot and after that none of my various Echos could reach HASS. Once powering up the Dot again, it works (on all Echos), but taking it down, none of the Echos can reach HASS.

At the same time, Alexa can control my Philips Hue bridge / devices, independently of the Echo Dot being powered on. HASS seems to depend on that Echo Dot device being active, while other smart home devices don’t. Any ideas how to resolve that?

I tried re-booting HASS, all Echos, searched config files for the IP of that Echo Dot (none), nothing helped.

PS: Renaming topic.

I believe the consensus was that echo hardware and correlating firmware versions, beginning with the spot, are implementing newer versions of the hue API, which are not supported by emulated_hue.

Oh, that’s sad to hear. Was there a thread on this? Did anyone try to contact Amazon?

I initially have problem with latest Echo not discovering enulated_hue and resolved it in this thread

Hm, this is weird, I tried listen_port: 80, and then nothing worked, even when the Echo Dot is online.

Dozens of them :slight_smile:

Did you do the second bit, that’s vital.

1 Like

No, I didn’t try the second part - and honestly have no clue what that’s meant to do.

On a RPi, Python software (i.e HA) is not allowed to use port 80. You can configure it but it will not be able to use it.
If you connect to the RPi by using ssh and run the command

sudo setcap ‘cap_net_bind_service=+ep’ /usr/bin/python3.5

That will give give Python permission to use port 80

You can test its working by browsing to -

http://m.y.i.p/description.xml

and getting a response.

Note -

http://m.y.i.p:3200/description.xml

should get a responce without having configured listen_port: 80

Hey Guys!

I have the same problem. My Echo (2nd Gen) can’t find any devices. I have tried almost everything what i could find on the internet.

Changing the “listen_port:” to 80 with the command “sudo setcap ‘cap_net_bind_service=+ep’ /usr/bin/python3.5” also didn’t work for me.

I can browse “http://m.y.i.p/description.xml” and http://m.y.i.p//api/pi/lights. Everything looks fine in these .xml Files. I only have a handful switches.

Maybe i have to bye myself an extra Echo Dot… :frowning:

1 Like

Just had a thought on this, may well be irrelevant but…

I use the Kodi component and wanted to use websockets but it didn’t work using 8080. I set it to use port 80 and it works perfectly with no extra command needed. I’m using hassio if that makes a difference.

That’s interesting. I’m also using hassio, and afaik I can’t run any sudo commands on that - right? (It definitely doesn’t work when simply logging in through ssh)
Not sure if I now should start setting up Kodi… sounds like overkill just to get that port “unlocked”.

Interesting… :thinking: I have connected now an Echo Dot (2nd Gen) which I bought from a friend today afternoon and when the configuration was finished, I saw all of my devices now… very strange…

Echo dot 2 works fine on HASSIO prior to .62, not sure what issue is, have tried everything.

That’s what most people find, Dot Gen 2 is the same gen as the Echo Gen 1 and, usually, works fine with emulated_hue.

FWIW, I have a second gen Echo Dot and it stopped working with emulated_hue around November 2016.

@Klaus, may not be worth your time trying to bind to port 80 and set permissions to allow non-root processes to bind there. Your best long term solution may end up being Home Assistant Cloud, or Haaska if you don’t want to pay the monthly fee.

I have always had a 2nd gen echo dot.

It has always worked with emulated_hue.

If your dot can discover your hue bridge, then it can discover emulated_hue. To Alexa emulated_hue is a hue bridge. That’s why it’s called emulated_hue.

The only blip I had was my own fault, and detailed here…

I suspect that when people have called amazon support and been told that it’s not supported its because the ‘support’ staff have zero clue what emulated_hue is.

At least one person who’s spoken to the Alexa devs has been specifically told they don’t support the oldest API on the new Echos but currently have no intention of backdating that to older versions like the Gen 2 Dot.

There are some that I’m convinced it has failed due to them changing their network in some unintentional but fundamental way, a couple have admitted it coincided with router changes.

Personally, I’ve never had an issue with it on my Gen 2 Dots and Harmony Hub.